GDT Penguins at Sabres 1 PM 10/01/22. Sabres.com, NHL Network, WGR

Brawndo

Good for UPL. If he can stay healthy and string games together he will get a chance in Buffalo this year.

Anderson-Comrie-UPL-Subban

is better then that mess between the pipes last season.

Power is going to be a huge difference maker on the backend this season.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, kas23 said:

He did well in his time up last year. It will be shortsighted to automatically say the ship has sailed on him. I’m optimistic. 

Goalies start to mature around 25. With him it is about his health. If he can stay healthy he should have a good season and up his status in the organization.

• Like (+1) 1

It’s a small thing to take away from the game, but it’s important and worth saying. Quinn and Power are both patient enough to hold the puck and wait for a play to develop, but they’re also aggressive enough to take a shot if one presents itself. Neither are overly trying to force a bad pass or force a bad shot—the most common rookie mistakes. More interestingly, I’d make the argument Power is ahead of Quinn at this point as far as the maturity with his play is concerned. That’s remarkable considering the Jack has a lot more professional experience.

I can’t stress enough how promising it is that we’re seeing this level of maturity from both of them already. Love it. 

On an unrelated note, I really like Asplund. I kind of want to get his jersey.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

UPL was positionally sound he made a lot of saves just by pucks hitting him.   

That said, he did not look confident and his rebound control was poor.   

He needs a full HEALTHY season in Roc to gain back some confidence and fine tune his game.

Watching Power I'm trying to figure out how to describe his game at this point. Someone upthread said 'calm'. He's very solid right now but that seems to be understating his play. He's excellent with the puck when pressured. An excellent passer as far as I can tell. Probably won't see the 'wow' plays like we see occasionally from Dahlin but can definitely contribute in the offensive zone. Might he actually be better than Dahlin in three or four years? And ironically, after the early comparisons of Dahlin to Hedman, might it actually be Power who turns out to be a closer facsimile of Victor Hedman? The kid is just super impressive.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Pimlach said:

There is no definitive way to rate prospects but it is no great revelation to say Savoie is a “better prospect” than Krebs, this not a shocker.  

Krebs will be good player, give him a chance.  

As you indicate it isn't wise to make quick judgments on young players. However, although Krebs has shown talent on the power play where there is a lot more open space, on 5 on 5 he isn't very effective. It's still early so I'm certainly not going to write him off. But that issue is a concern for me. It might be wise to start him off in Rochester and let him get a lot of playing time before moving him up to the big club. 

2 hours ago, RochesterExpat said:

It’s a small thing to take away from the game, but it’s important and worth saying. Quinn and Power are both patient enough to hold the puck and wait for a play to develop, but they’re also aggressive enough to take a shot if one presents itself. Neither are overly trying to force a bad pass or force a bad shot—the most common rookie mistakes. More interestingly, I’d make the argument Power is ahead of Quinn at this point as far as the maturity with his play is concerned. That’s remarkable considering the Jack has a lot more professional experience.

I can’t stress enough how promising it is that we’re seeing this level of maturity from both of them already. Love it. 

On an unrelated note, I really like Asplund. I kind of want to get his jersey.

A lot more professional experience?  Maybe 30/50 games?

50 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

UPL was positionally sound he made a lot of saves just by pucks hitting him.   

That said, he did not look confident and his rebound control was poor.   

He needs a full HEALTHY season in Roc to gain back some confidence and fine tune his game.

UPL might be a goalie who plays better in the NHL than the AHL because there is more defensive structure in the major league and less scrambling play than in the minor league. I thought that UPL looked very composed and played with an economy of movement even when he was under duress. As you indicate it might be best for him to get a lot of playing time in Rochester before moving up to the big club. 

Tage, Quinn and Olofsson are our snipers. It's going to be fun watching these marksmen getting the red light turned on. This team has started to accumulate a number of goal scorers so that the scoring will be more spread out compared to previous years where the lower lines contributed little offense. There is now enough talent where players are not slotted higher than where their talent would indicate. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.