General Sabres FA discussion thread (f/k/a Random free agent posts)

Archie Lee

Based on where they're at now, unless March & April were complete mirages, this team should be able to top 90 points for the 1st time in over a decade w/ any sort of reasonable health at all.  Which isn't good enough, but is close enough that with a break or 2 they'll be in the mix & could sneak in.

15 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Based on where they're at now, unless March & April were complete mirages, this team should be able to top 90 points for the 1st time in over a decade w/ any sort of reasonable health at all.  Which isn't good enough, but is close enough that with a break or 2 they'll be in the mix & could sneak in.

Ott and Det got alot harder to beat today.  90pts just got more difficult to pull off than last season.

• Like (+1) 4

38 minutes ago, Taro T said:

With the moves Detroit and Ottawa have made I don't see us moving up in the standings. Possibly down. 

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Biron just said on TSN he doesn’t think we make it, but that Ottawa might 

16 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Doubt they get in either, but see 90 as being realistic.  Don't care that the Otters & Detroit got better.  Sabres can still split w/ them.  That's only 7 games and they'll likely split regardless.

There's only 4 forwards on this team as currently assembled that should be expected to slide back some due to age (Okposo, Girgensons, Skinner, & Hinostroza) and all 4 might not if they can stay healthy (unlikely for Z and Vinny but the other 2 have been solid recently healthwise).  1 other that could slide back because last year was such a career year (Thompson).  The rest should be better & having plugs like Eakin & Hayden off the roster lead to upgrades as well.

The current D that were here last year should all improve over last year & the Russian could add something they really didn't have outside of Samuelsson (& Hagg to a degree) - an actual competent stay at home D-man.

The GTing is upgraded, though likely not enough to make the move we'd hope for.

Yes, the other 2 squads will be better.  But how long will it take to integrate the new bodies into the collective?  Fully expect the Sabres to have a typical October.  Will the other 2 come out of the gate hot?

They didn't get any veterans hunting for an immediate contender (no surprise). They didn't lock in a big name to a long-term deal overpay (likewise). They got guys looking to expand their role and join an up-and-coming roster. RHD: check. Goalie: check. Rochester blue line: check. Not a bad day's work.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

Fully disagree. Ottawa has a bad defense and doesn't have any extra offense that we don't also possess. 

I don't know if their goaltending is significantly better now either. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, tom webster said:

You can give me the list of free agents on the last couple of Cup winners if you’d like. 

I could, but I know it’s not a long list of high priced players.  It’s a very modest list of select middle of the lineup players who were signed to reasonable deals to fill a specific hole  on the roster.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

I know, I know pie in the sky kinda thing, but gotta wonder if Sabres would consider going after Kadri, hear me out... he scores.. is gritty, and tough, just won a cup... Buffalo would be close to his family... he is older and may be able to sign him for two years and teach youguns how to compete... I think he might be a good fit.. a boy can 😴 

Edited by North Buffalo

4 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

I know, I know pie in the sky kinda thing, but gotta wonder if Sabres would consider going after Kadri, hear me out... he scores.. is gritty, and tough, just won a cup... Buffalo would be close to his family... he is older and may be able to sign him for two years and teach youguns how to compete... I think he might be a good fit.. a boy can 😴 

Kadri is looking for term. Just doesn’t lineup with anything Adams has said.

I think he goes to Calgary or Isles or Rags if they can make it work or Bruins if Bergeron or Krejci don’t return.

13 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Kadri is looking for term. Just doesn’t lineup with anything Adams has said.

I think he goes to Calgary or Isles or Rags if they can make it work or Bruins if Bergeron or Krejci don’t return.

Please not boston 

20 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

I'm with you he bring that Matthew Barnaby attitude to buffalo 

Sign me up 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.