Mapleleafs fans voted "Most Annoying" & "Most Delusional"

ddaryl

I though Sabrespace would enjoy the read

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/toronto-maple-leafs-fans-voted-nhls-most-annoying-most-delusional

Leafs fans have not only been branded “most annoying,” but they were also voted “most delusional,” according to a survey conducted by hockey analytics expert JFresh Hockey.

It’s understandable, though, given how high the Leafs get fans’ hopes up, yet don’t quite come through when it matters most.

Of the 6,500 responses it received, JFresh found that Toronto topped the “most annoying” list by a long shot.

Edited by ddaryl
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Sakman said:

I really look forward to the day when the Sabres are good enough and relevant enough for this fan base to at least appear on such a list as Most Annoying. 

Yet Toronto is there no matter how good or bad their team is.  

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, Eleven said:

Definitely most delusional.  I'm not sure about most annoying--we are sensitive to that in Buffalo because they invade our arena, but I think Rags fans and Canes fans are significantly more annoying.

It was voted on by Hockey Fans, not just Sabres fans. So the league seems to agree.

• Thanks (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Sakman said:

I really look forward to the day when the Sabres are good enough and relevant enough for this fan base to at least appear on such a list as Most Annoying. 

With the way the Buffalo diaspora shows up at away games when the team is good, there's no doubt.

• Like (+1) 1

• ddaryl changed the title to Mapleleafs fans voted "Most Annoying" & "Most Delusional"
1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Definitely most delusional.  I'm not sure about most annoying--we are sensitive to that in Buffalo because they invade our arena, but I think Rags fans and Canes fans are significantly more annoying.

They travel that way in a lot of arenas. They have many, many fans in every Canadian city and they will do the same in Detroit.

Leafs games in the southern USA draw many snowbirds as well.

They aren’t very annoying right now after another losing season. They will start up again on July 13 because every player is dying to play there and win a Cup. Many of the fans don’t seem to grasp that they are cap strapped and many players don’t want to be under that microscope.

25 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

This is delicious. I remember having a conversation with someone that thought Tampa Bay fans were worse. That’s right… Tampa… Freaking… Bay 😂

All fair-weather fanbases are annoying, and TB is king of that in three sports, so it is somewhat understandable.

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

All fair-weather fanbases are annoying, and TB is king of that in three sports, so it is somewhat understandable.

Have we gone to the realm of fair weather though? I mean we suck and tickets were 7 bucks on stubhub. As soon as we were slightly better they were much higher and we still sucked. 

2 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Have we gone to the realm of fair weather though? I mean we suck and tickets were 7 bucks on stubhub. As soon as we were slightly better they were much higher and we still sucked. 

Well, I generally would say if there are still fans despite currently holding the NHL record for missing the playoffs the most straight seasons, they couldn’t really be considered fair weather fans. 

5 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

We didn't suck late last season, we were playing our best hockey in a long time. We're trending in the right direction, so I guess I'm not on the suck bandwagon. I fully expect the team to keep trending positively.

5 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

We didn't suck late last season, we were playing our best hockey in a long time. We're trending in the right direction, so I guess I'm not on the suck bandwagon. I fully expect the team to keep trending positively.

But Fairweather means you have low crowds when you suck and people come and watch when you're good. We were always a hardcore hockey city, but we've become more Fairweather in nature 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I think your second sentence answers this, but in case it doesn't, in a word, no.

Ticket sales, especially in the last three years, aren't the proper barometer.  We have eyes on screens and ears on radios like no other team in the US, and we all know that.  

1 minute ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

But Fairweather means you have low crowds when you suck and people come and watch when you're good. We were always a hardcore hockey city, but we've become more Fairweather in nature 

See above.

No one has money right now and the team is really exciting.  I'd get season tix again to watch this team, but circumstances do not allow.  I still watch them every game that I can.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

This is delicious. I remember having a conversation with someone that thought Tampa Bay fans were worse. That’s right… Tampa… Freaking… Bay 😂

I think fans of winning teams (unless it's your team too) always start to get annoying. Just talk to Pats fans in football if you don't believe me. They get a kind of holier than though attitude with an expectation to win so I can see this happening with Tampa fans. I think Pittsburgh fans had that a few years back. 

I remember when I was young in southern Ontario almost everyone was a Leaf fan or a Habs fan and at that time the Habs fans were the worst. They had a smugness and holier than thou attitude from all their winning. But "delusional" for Leafs fans is without a doubt a reality and the overwhelming vote total for annoying made my day. 

hate the Leafs. 

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

A few losing season most fans can endure.. We had a real long stench of bad hockey.

Spending a couple $100 to watch a game of subpar hockey is hard to justify for any fan.

50 minutes ago, MattPie said:

<<<<<<<

I am a fair-weather fan. I haven't watched a game in years. I'm not sure what it says about me that I still frequent here.

Whatever it says about you it probably says about me.  I am still interested in what they do and how the team is being built, but I’ve watched so little hockey over the last 7 years that I probably don’t fit the classic definition of a fan.

• Like (+1) 1

A few things about Maple leaf fans that are more about them than any other team/fanbase in the NHL:

-The league is 'out to get them'. In every game, EVERY SINGLE GAME, there are bad calls against the Leafs that wouldn't be called against any other team. Any game they lose by 1-3 goals is almost always the fault of the Refs and bad calls.  Their players should never get suspended, but there is at least 1 offense per week that requires the league suspend someone else because of what they did against the leafs.

-They have the best prospects by far. Any prospect for the Marlies is twice as good as any other prospect in the AHL with similar stats.  Every draft pick they make, it is brilliant. No other GM would position themselves in the draft to make the picks that the Leafs make.

-They have BY FAR the most talented roster in the league.  That is because players sign with Toronto giving them the 'home town' discount because, of course, who WOULDN'T want to play in Toronto.

-If a free agents decides to not sign with toronto, it is for 1 of 2 reasons:  1.  They really aren't that good and Leaf's management figured it out before the team that actually did sign them...or...2. Someone was meddling illegaly.

-If a trade is made, the Leafs destroyed the other team in the trade. It is incredible how Toronto's management can so badly beat the other GM's in a trade. The only explanation is, the player on the other team must have wanted to move to Toronto SO BADLY that the opposing GM had no choice but to trade him to Toronto for whatever the Leafs offered.

-If a few years goes by and it becomes obvious the Leafs DID make a bad trade..it will only be identified as such after numerous years AND when the person who made the deal is no longer in the Leafs front office. That way there is nothing to worry about. SURE, they may have made a bad trade, but the GM or Scout responsible for it is gone...and it won't happen again. We said back then we had the best front office in the league...but now that the GM/scout is gone who was responsible for that trade.....we FOR SURE have the best front office in the league now, so any trade we make going forward will be the best every.

6 hours ago, woods-racer said:

Leaf fans are the most annoying.

Ranger fans are the biggest butt-holes.

My reasoning is, one gives you a headache the other you just really want to punch.

I can agree with is.

Maple Leaf fans remind me a lot of most Boston fans.  When it comes to their sports teams, they aren't just homers, they are awful to deal with, unbearable to a degree beyond belief.  Yet, if you take those same people in put them in a room where sports aren't discussed or brought up, they can be nice people.

I have co-workers in Boston (I still travel there for meetings often) who are great guys and girls. GREAT people, fun, funny, helpful. But bring up the Bruins or Pats or Red Sox and wow, its not an exaggeration they are 100% different, like a Jekyll and Hyde transformation, no joke. But again, they are deep down good people.

New Yorkers on the other hand...the way many of them act as fans is who they are.  With Leaf fans and Boston fans, the "fan" version of themself is an  alter-ego, someone who is different when talking sports.  New Yorkers though, the jerks they are in the stadiums/arena is just an extension of who they actually are.

At least that is my experience...having lived in/near Boston for quite a few years in the past and visiting NY city many times for work (and my wife and her family being from there so we know a LOT of people from there.)

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.