Sabres Officially Select #9, #16, and #28

WildCard

10 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Yurov has one more year left on His Present Deal, and Trikozov doesn’t have a signed contract next year. 

Yeah I was reading that teams are preparing to have him sign his ELC ASAP at the draft.

Edited by steveoath

11 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

https://www.toutsurlehockey.com/tslh-espoirs/nhl-draft-ranking-2022-by-simon-st-l/

If you start reading this now you might be done before the draft starts.😀

Very long read with tons of information from this “scout”. He watches tons of footage, for example he says he watched every shift that Julian Lutz played this year. It took me an hour plus to read about his evaluation of 32 players and a few other mentions.

Some very different evaluations.

Bichsel at 13, a beast among men.

Lutz at 16

Perevalov at 17

Gauthier at 22

Neuchev at 24

Duda at 26, best defensive D in the draft.

Kemell at 28, one trick pony who is a give away machine.

He likes a lot of the Russians, 5 in the first round.

Mateychuk is not in the top 32.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Yurov has one more year left on His Present Deal, and Trikozov doesn’t have a signed contract next year. 

Take Trikozov at 28, slap bettman in the face on the way to make the pick, hand Gleb a contract before the jersey, stuff him in the AHL. Enjoy.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Sure he is confident.  Putin says Russian players stay home or else.

I repeat, I’m not drafting any Russian players in the 1st round.  It’s just not worth the risk. Yurov may have top 10 talent, but the difference in talent at 16 between him and say Ohgren, Kulich, Snuggerud or Nazar is enough to justify the risk.  I may regret this stance in 5 years, but KA has repeated on numerous occasions how important this draft is to the franchise’s future, I don’t see him taking the additional risk.

So how does that gel with taking 4 Russians last year?  Simple, last year he had good scouting on the Russian kids and Putin hadn’t invaded the Ukraine.  

I’m with you.  We have an opportunity to pick up at least 3 NHLers.  Let’s not get greedy with the risk-reward play.  Get our NHLers and then play with risk.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

From picks 11-50 we are going to see a few players taken 20+ picks higher than most think and some that slip way lower than anyone imagined. The draft is very deep.

Is it deep, or is it mediocre?  I’m sensing more the latter.

9 minutes ago, Weave said:

My take is that the top 5 is lacking elite talent, but the 2nd and 3rd tiers are deep. It has maybe 10 guys after the first 5 that would typically go 5-10 in a lot of drafts and maybe a dozen more after them who might go top 20.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

My take is that the top 5 is lacking elite talent, but the 2nd and 3rd tiers are deep. It has maybe 10 guys after the first 5 that would typically go 5-10 in a lot of drafts and maybe a dozen more after them who might go top 20.

If that is the case, I'm totally fine with the Sabres making no moves and just taking their 3 picks.  Its always exciting to think of packaging 28 with something else to move up a bit, or maybe 16 and 28 packaged to get a 2nd pick in the top 10, but this year that may not benefit them to much.

Most of the players they draft this year, it may be years before they play and make an impact with Sabres (even #9) but it is still a fun day to see where they go.  More importantly, for me draft night is the 'start' of the time when other moves can/will be made that will impact the roster for this coming season.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ddaryl said:

Then I would stay away from them in 1st few rounds and treat them as a lottery card.

But do they really have to go back?  They could "defect" and stay here... 

The NHL & the KHL have agreements in place to not poach each other's players.  Considering neither the US nor Canada are at war w/ Russia, don't see any reason to believe those agreements have been voided.  So, yes, at present if they want to play professional hockey they do need to go back.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nhl-scouts-analysis-how-to-prepare-a-list-for-the-draft-table/

A good read from a former scout about how he would construct his list for this year’s draft.

Off all the rankings I’ve read, probably the one that most closely matches my opinions.

Savoie/Kasper and Yurov top 2 picks and I will be a happy man.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I see a lot of middle six forwards in the first round. Wright and Cooley are probably 2Cs and they are in most people’s top 3. The second round forwards are bottom six in my opinion.

The Dmen may have a few 1st pairing guys, four years down the road.

Goalies are wild cards and there could be none picked until the 3rd round.

I see some solid NHLers but a lot of depth players.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Take Trikozov at 28, slap bettman in the face on the way to make the pick, hand Gleb a contract before the jersey, stuff him in the AHL. Enjoy.

I might be WAY off (to the point of sounding ridiculous)......but some of his shooting and puck handling moves remind me a little of.....Eichel

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Yurov at 16 doesn't really bother me much. You pick the Russian you want and take them and then can be safer after that, now if Trikozov falls into the 3rd... well that complicates things. Actually at 41 I could be convinced to take another Russian like Trikozov but again it is all about risk/reward.

He’s represented by Gold Star (Dan Milstein) sign Him to an ELC before He gets off the stage. 

1 hour ago, Weave said:

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

FWIW Jerry Forton mentioned He really likes the Top 25-30 Players in this draft 

2 hours ago, steveoath said:

Yeah I was reading that teams are preparing to have him sign his ELC ASAP at the draft.

That would limit the risk obviously, but I can’t imagine the mix of emotions a kid would be going through to sign here and hope the Russian govt doesn’t retaliate against his family.  

23 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Sam Cosentino says he’s hearing Kasper might shake up the top 10 for those who haven’t been paying much attention.

As high as 5, likely won’t drop past Ottawa at 7 and will not drop past Detroit at 8.

That puts Lekkerimaki squarely in the Sabres Sights. 

Attached is a WGR link from the Howard and Jeremy Show. Within this link are two hockey segments that deal with the draft and league player moves. The Kris Baker segment which is about 15 min focuses on prospects in the Sabre system. Interestingly, the one Sabre prospect he gushed the most over was Levi. 

The other segment is with Dave Panotta, Editor-and Chief of the Fourth Period. This is a 10 min segment. Much of the discussion related to player movement in the league.  When asked about the goalie market for Buffalo he felt that a trade is the most likely avenue to acquire one. Good hockey talk. 

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/authors/howard-and-jeremy-show

Edited by JohnC

21 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That would limit the risk obviously, but I can’t imagine the mix of emotions a kid would be going through to sign here and hope the Russian govt doesn’t retaliate against his family.  

The fact He is going into the draft without a KHL Contract probably helps that though

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.