Sabres Officially Select #9, #16, and #28

WildCard

Two other takeaways from Forton’s comments.

1) He thinks the top 6 or 7 in this draft has a very well-defined pecking order where the players can be ticked off. Really curious who is in that group.

The big 3 forwards and the 2 RHD, would be gimmes, I would think. But he seems to have 2 from the Lekkerimaki, Kemmel, Gauthier, Savoie tier (my names based on consensus lists) above the rest and in the same range as the guys up top. 

And conversely, he seems to have 2 of those guys as part of a larger 2nd tier where he expects to be picking from and thinks that 2nd tier has a chance to be as good as the top tier guys.

2) They've spent a ton of time looking at Russians: all 3 Euro scouts, plus Forton and Nightengale have all spent time over there watching them live.

Kevyn says “rank them as if there is no war and if our turn comes up and one is value pick there, I’ll make that call then.”

I read that as Russians are very much in play if one we rank highly is available with our 1st rounders. And that there are situations where they expect one to be a serious option.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Two other takeaways from Forton’s comments.

1) He thinks the top 6 or 7 in this draft has a very well-defined pecking order where the players can be ticked off. Really curious who is in that group.

The big 3 forwards and the 2 RHD, would be gimmes, I would think. But he seems to have 2 from the Lekkerimaki, Kemmel, Gauthier, Savoie tier (my names based on consensus lists) above the rest and in the same range as the guys up top. 

And conversely, he seems to have 2 of those guys as part of a larger 2nd tier where he expects to be picking from and thinks that 2nd tier has a chance to be as good as the top tier guys.

2) They've spent a ton of time looking at Russians: all 3 Euro scouts, plus Forton and Nightengale have all spent time over there watching them live.

Kevyn says “rank them as if there is no war and if our turn comes up and one is value pick there, I’ll make that call then.”

I read that as Russians are very much in play if one we rank highly is available with our 1st rounders. And that there are situations where they expect one to be a serious option.

I like the sound of that approach to the Russians.

Where can I find Forton’s comments?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Curt said:

I like the sound of that approach to the Russians.

Where can I find Forton’s comments?

Embedded video in here.

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/buffalo-sabres-kevyn-adams-nhl-draft-preview/c-334784336

Lot of goalie stuff before they get to the draft. Curious as to whether your impression is the same as mine: that they are more focused on one or more than they are letting on.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Am I reading too much into Jerry Forton saying “We are going to get a real good player at 9, if we end up picking at 9” and separately “we’ve got a lot of draft capital” in the context of having to be ready to move?

I feel quite strongly that the all-over-the-place nature of this draft, coupled with the return of the in-person setting, the flat cap, and the number of teams with multiple high picks (or none) is highly conducive to movement.

I will be surprised if the Sabres make all 11 picks. It might be as simple as flipping a 6 to jump up for someone in the 3rd, but it also might be something substantial.

I would not be at all surprised to see them jump up from 28 or 41 if someone they like is slipping. I’m kind of expecting it to happen.

It sounds look Forton likes the depth of the First Round to 25-30. I could see a trade up happening. 

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

I read that as Russians are very much in play if one we rank highly is available with our 1st rounders. 

Given what I'm reading about Ivan Fedotov I think I'd stay away from any Russians in the first round. Just out of principle if nothing else. 

https://www.newsweek.com/nhl-player-ivan-fedotov-detained-russia-draft-dodging-missing-lawyer-1721289

• Like (+1) 1

I hope the Sabres draft Casey’s little brother.  4th rd pick?

From the Athletic:

LHD Luke Mittelstadt, Madison Capitals: The second passed-over player from my 2021 list that I’d consider taking in 2022, Mittelstadt is another late 2003 who played in the USHL this year and is off to college (Minnesota) in the fall. Mittelstadt is a highly-gifted offensive defenseman who led all under-19 USHL defensemen in goals (19) this year and finished second in that age bracket in points (55 in 60 games, which actually led the Capitals). He also added another five goals and nine points in 14 playoff games.

Mittelstadt, the younger brother of Sabresforward Casey Mittelstadt, was the star of Minnesota’s minor hockey and then high school circuit growing up and actually declined to go to the national program so that he could play at home. He’s got a silky first touch and regularly breaks ankles off of the point, and he made important progress developing his acceleration, his fitness and his decision-making this year. Both Mittelstadt and Wilmer were first-team all-stars in the USHL this season.

Here was one source on Mittelstadt last year: “His talent is off the charts. Just on God-given talent, he’s above (Wild second-rounder Jack) Peart. He’s that talented. He’s a true skill guy.”

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

Embedded video in here.

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/buffalo-sabres-kevyn-adams-nhl-draft-preview/c-334784336

Lot of goalie stuff before they get to the draft. Curious as to whether your impression is the same as mine: that they are more focused on one or more than they are letting on.

Am I the only one who wishes/recommends that closed captions are edited in to the video to display the questions being asked? (Just an abridged version if its PH asking the question).

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

Embedded video in here.

Where's the praying hands emoji?

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, dudacek said:

Embedded video in here.

I don’t think they seem overly focused on a particular Russian player, though they may be.  I’m sure they have a good general idea of whether they are particularly high on a player and can consider possibilities with that in mind.

For example, if they have Gleb Trikozov (57 on McKenzie’s list) rated as their 10th best prospect in the whole draft (not completely ridiculous considering his skill level, age, and recent development), in a tier that goes from 7 to 12, they probably already know there’s an extremely high chance that he will be the highest guy remaining on their board, in a tier above every other available prospect when their pick comes up at 28.

Its really hard to say what their strategy is regarding the Russian prospects.  It could secretly be that ownership has said “no Russians allowed”, though I kind of doubt that.  It could be that they will draft a Russian prospect if he is in a tier above every other remaining prospect.  It could be that they won’t draft a Russian unless he is available a full round or more past where they have him rated.

I think this draft is going to be pretty wild regarding Russians because they will probably also be baking into these decisions things like contract status, what KHL organization they are with, the prospects perceived desire to come to to NA, etc.

I won’t be surprised to see the Russians drafted in a seeming random sort of order, with some going roughly where they are publicly rated and others dropping a couple rounds or more past what might be expected.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Given what I'm reading about Ivan Fedotov I think I'd stay away from any Russians in the first round. Just out of principle if nothing else. 

https://www.newsweek.com/nhl-player-ivan-fedotov-detained-russia-draft-dodging-missing-lawyer-1721289

The thing is that these 18 year old hockey players are not the Kremlin, they just happen to have been born in Russia.  In fact, not drafting them and not bringing them over to the NA is exactly what the Kremlin wants.  I understand where you are coming from, but I don’t think it’s a productive avenue.

The Fedotov case is a little bit different than most in that he was the starting goalie for the CSKA team and trying to leave for the NHL without fulfilling his KHL contract.

• Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Curt said:

The thing is that these 18 year old hockey players are not the Kremlin, they just happen to have been born in Russia.  In fact, not drafting them and not bringing them over to the NA is exactly what the Kremlin wants.  I understand where you are coming from, but I don’t think it’s a productive avenue.

The Fedotov case is a little bit different than most in that he was the starting goalie for the CSKA team and trying to leave for the NHL without fulfilling his KHL contract.

The draft is a gamble to begin with and as you get into the later rounds it is even more difficult to find NHLers. Adding a Russian or two into the mix doesn’t affect very much. They will take years to develop and if they do then getting them over is the next hurdle. The Sabres know it could take around 4 years to get that sorted out.

From a pure hockey standpoint, you should not exclude 20+ prospects from your list. The next Kaprizov could be among these guys. They are in the business of winning hockey games so they should look at every prospect and seek out the best.

31 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Huh?!?!😕

They traded the 38th and 100th Overall Picks to San Jose for 34th to select JJP in the 2020 NHL Draft

9 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Craig Button just did his mock draft on TSN

Sabres land Kasper, Yurov and McGroarty

pretty good haul but need to get a Dman with the next pick 

There must be A lot of smoke surrounding Yurov Buffalo at 16 because I’ve seen a lot of people mock him to them

16 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think Gauthier and Kemell are 6 & 7. I think the bias against smaller player like Savoie is the factor dropping him.  

I read the story in the Athletic about GM concerns about Russian players who went home for the summer being able to return.  If they are concerned about contracted players, what must they be thinking about the prospects availability?  

Honestly, if Yurov somehow falls to 28 or so you ahve to take him.  Way to talented and eventually things will get worked out.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

11 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I hope the Sabres draft Casey’s little brother.  4th rd pick?

From the Athletic:

LHD Luke Mittelstadt, Madison Capitals: The second passed-over player from my 2021 list that I’d consider taking in 2022, Mittelstadt is another late 2003 who played in the USHL this year and is off to college (Minnesota) in the fall. Mittelstadt is a highly-gifted offensive defenseman who led all under-19 USHL defensemen in goals (19) this year and finished second in that age bracket in points (55 in 60 games, which actually led the Capitals). He also added another five goals and nine points in 14 playoff games.

Mittelstadt, the younger brother of Sabresforward Casey Mittelstadt, was the star of Minnesota’s minor hockey and then high school circuit growing up and actually declined to go to the national program so that he could play at home. He’s got a silky first touch and regularly breaks ankles off of the point, and he made important progress developing his acceleration, his fitness and his decision-making this year. Both Mittelstadt and Wilmer were first-team all-stars in the USHL this season.

Here was one source on Mittelstadt last year: “His talent is off the charts. Just on God-given talent, he’s above (Wild second-rounder Jack) Peart. He’s that talented. He’s a true skill guy.”

Here's my question then.  If that was LAST year, and he went undrafted, what's wrong with him?  Why wasn't he chosen?

5 minutes ago, Contempt said:

Here's my question then.  If that was LAST year, and he went undrafted, what's wrong with him?  Why wasn't he chosen?

very late birthday and was playing high school hockey.  I don't think the scouts got a great feel for him during the pandemic.  

• Like (+1) 1

At this point my gut says the top player who will be available to the Sabres will be Kasper.  

If by some miracle one of Gauthier, Nemec or Jiricek falls to 9th, then you grab one of them, but I give the likelihood of that happening at under 5% chance. 

9.  Kasper if we are lucky, Savoie if we aren't

16.  Nazar (if we didn't already take Savoie), Yuroz (only based on talent - I think he falls further), Kulich and possibly Geekie,

28.  Chesley, Luneau and Odelius

Another interesting strategy would be to go for the top Swedish line

9. Lekkerimaki

16. Ohgren

28. Ostlund

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.