Sabres Officially Select #9, #16, and #28

WildCard

53 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’d take Chesley at 28 too. Good example of taking what the draft gives you.

I guess.

Assuming the Sabres have Gaucher, Chesley and Luneau ranked 27, 28 and 29 and all are still available when the Sabres draft at 28.  If I'm reading your posts correctly you'd take Gaucher at 28, while I'd take Chesley.

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I guess.

Assuming the Sabres have Gaucher, Chesley and Luneau ranked 27, 28 and 29 and all are still available when the Sabres draft at 28.  If I'm reading your posts correctly you'd take Gaucher at 28, while I'd take Chesley.

Not really.

If they were 27, 28, and 29, they would presumably have nearly identical scores on my board. In that case who we have in the system - including who we picked at 9 and 16 and who looks to be available at 41 - would factor in to my decision-making.

Now if I had Gaucher ranked significantly higher than Chesley, that would be a different story.

I believe in tiers, as opposed to a firmly demarcated pecking order. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, #freejame said:

Would you be comfortable drafting two of Miro, Yurov, and Lambert in the first? Don’t know if I love the idea of grabbing two. 

If the picks were 16 and 28, absolutely. The boom potential of 2 of the above would be more than worth the risks that come with them at those picks. Sure, they could both bust, but if either hit, the investment will be worth it.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, #freejame said:

Would you be comfortable drafting two of Miro, Yurov, and Lambert in the first? Don’t know if I love the idea of grabbing two. 

42 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

If the picks were 16 and 28, absolutely. The boom potential of 2 of the above would be more than worth the risks that come with them at those picks. Sure, they could both bust, but if either hit, the investment will be worth it.

Totally agree.  At 16 and 28 I’m fine with it.  Especially if we can grab a “safer” C at 9.  Kasper, or I actually think Nazar is fairly safe too.

• Like (+1) 1

I still recommend buying a premium subscription to EP Rinkside. Tons of draft content like on Yurov who I personally love.

https://eprinkside.com/2022/02/09/film-room-investigating-danila-yurovs-nuanced-game

To me, Yurov projects as a playmaking, two-way, intelligent winger with good speed, tenacious puck pursuit habits and a strong mind. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I was listening to a mock draft by Locked on Senators. 
Both guys there talked about Stevie Y going off most people’s lists. The two of them guessed that the Wings were going to pick Lambert at 8. 
That would give the Sabres more options, butI doubt he goes that early. Top 3 talent but needs a lot of development and teams need to determine if he has the IQ to make the jump.

6 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I was listening to a mock draft by Locked on Senators. 
Both guys there talked about Stevie Y going off most people’s lists. The two of them guessed that the Wings were going to pick Lambert at 8. 
That would give the Sabres more options, butI doubt he goes that early. Top 3 talent but needs a lot of development and teams need to determine if he has the IQ to make the jump.

Where Lambert is tracking now, he does fit the Wings profile.  But the way he's dropped goes completely against it.  Will be interesting for sure but would guess he doesn't end up there.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Where Lambert is tracking now, he does fit the Wings profile.  But the way he's dropped goes completely against it.  Will be interesting for sure but would guess he doesn't end up there.

It’s just Yzerman in people’s heads.

They’re just casting around trying to find the most out-of-the-box pick they can think of

At this point it will now be Kemmel - the (gasp) consensus highest rated player left on the board!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Derrico said:

@dudacekhas already convinced me I’ll be fine if Sabres take him at 9.

I don't think they should take him at 9. The draft is a game of gambles and we know the Russians will slide so you should gamble a little with Yurov that he didn't get scouted as much, wasn't in the international tourneys cuz the russian ban, didn't do anything in the KHL (because the KHL is an awful dev league), and you have the concerns over the Ukraine war and getting Russians to NA. I'd gamble on him being there at 16 and take someone else at 9. GMs are risk averse for the most part so they will be less willing to take a Yurov early as opposed to seeing which Russians slide into the back half of round 1.

Nazar at 9, Yurov at 16, hope to get someone who slides at 28 (someone always slides).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 3

19 hours ago, Thorny said:

Cannot stand the level of gatekeeping old Kevin engages in on Twitter but that’s an intriguing point, to be sure.

I feel like the episode where Elaine‘s coworker sidled up next to her at the office. Welcome back.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't think they should take him at 9. The draft is a game of gambles and we know the Russians will slide so you should gamble a little with Yurov that he didn't get scouted as much, wasn't in the international tourneys cuz the russian ban, didn't do anything in the KHL (because the KHL is an awful dev league), and you have the concerns over the Ukraine war and getting Russians to NA. I'd gamble on him being there at 16 and take someone else at 9. GMs are risk averse for the most part so they will be less willing to take a Yurov early as opposed to seeing which Russians slide into the back half of round 1.

Nazar at 9, Yurov at 16, hope to get someone who slides at 28 (someone always slides).

Yurov sounds like a top 10 talent but I would wait as well. Savoie, Nazar and maybe Kasper or Gauthier would be better at 9. That slot may be early for Kasper but the scouts will have a better idea. I hope they take someone who plays C at 9.

I am not opposed to Yurov at 16, a lot can change in a few years and he seems like a sure thing to have the talent to make the NHL.

If they don’t get Yurov at 16 then Miroshnichenko would be a possibility at 28.

10 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Yurov sounds like a top 10 talent but I would wait as well. Savoie, Nazar and maybe Kasper or Gauthier would be better at 9. That slot may be early for Kasper but the scouts will have a better idea. I hope they take someone who plays C at 9.

I am not opposed to Yurov at 16, a lot can change in a few years and he seems like a sure thing to have the talent to make the NHL.

If they don’t get Yurov at 16 then Miroshnichenko would be a possibility at 28.

And we haven't even touched on Gleb Trikozov, pick 41 dark horse. If he were there at 41, there would probably be very few players I would take over him.

The Swing for the Fences Draft round: Savoie, Yurov, Hutson

Hutson mentioned his doctors say he should grow a few more inches. He is the most dynamic offensive dman in the draft. He is interesting and would be great at #41. No idea if he makes it to there though. It is going to be so wide open after the top 10.

This is going to be such a crazy draft. I can see Arizona taking Gauthier at #3. I could see one of Nemec and Jiricek not being the the first 2 D selected and being there at #9. The Russian goalie being detained will probably muddy the Russian angle of the draft even more.

I wonder if Adams loaded up on 6th and 7th round picks because they have a couple Russians in mind that they think will really fall to that area. Guys that might have 3rd round grades but could be available at the end of the draft because of current conditions.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

The Swing for the Fences Draft round: Savoie, Yurov, Hutson

Hutson mentioned his doctors say he should grow a few more inches. He is the most dynamic offensive dman in the draft. He is interesting and would be great at #41. No idea if he makes it to there though. It is going to be so wide open after the top 10.

This is going to be such a crazy draft. I can see Arizona taking Gauthier at #3. I could see one of Nemec and Jiricek not being the the first 2 D selected and being there at #9. The Russian goalie being detained will probably muddy the Russian angle of the draft even more.

I wonder if Adams loaded up on 6th and 7th round picks because they have a couple Russians in mind that they think will really fall to that area. Guys that might have 3rd round grades but could be available at the end of the draft because of current conditions.

Yeah pass Maybe in the 3rd -4th round he's 5'8 .

Buffalo better not waste a 1st on him or I'll legit burn it down .

ill-burn-this-oyymt2.jpg

Edited by Buffalonill
  • Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

ill-burn-this-oyymt2.jpg

LOL it might be worth it just to see you snap😀 I’m not dying on a Hutson hill. I just think he is the ultimate swing for the fences if he does grow a few inches. McKenzie has him at 40 so he might be an option at #41 although there will be other good players in that range.

30 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

ill-burn-this-oyymt2.jpg

Well, I copy paste below the comments from that fella I was telling you about at hockeybuzz. He's very high on him. I have no idea what bone age means, btw.

He has potential to hit 1-2 more inches but that shouldn't stop teams he has pretty much destroyed every obstacle that has been tossed at him

If people are looking for the closest thing to Makar he's it ..

buffalo has the ability to slow cook him till he's ready so there's absolutely no rush to bring him into the NHL for 3 -4 years .

Mark my words he will be great

Just remember his bone age is delayed compared to his biological age once he hits his Growth spurt teams are definitely going to regret not taking him.

Was 2nd all time in points for a defenseman at the NTDP

Let's not forget he finished above players like Fox, Hughes, Hughes, Sanderson, and McAvoy.

This is definitely a player you take at 28 and hit the lottery

• Thanks (+1) 1

At #9 I’m hoping to see Nemec or Jiricek slide or Savoie, Lekkerimaki or Kasper be the pick. Not interviewing Kemell I think is a tell that he won’t be the pick there. 16 is wide open. Does a guy like Nazar fall there. Do they take Yurov. Is Geekie there and do they like the value. Do they have one of the LHD ranked there. Are one of the Swedish forwards there that they like. #28 is an absolute crapshoot.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.