GDT: The Risen Sabres at the Phlyers - April 17 5:00 pm

That Aud Smell

After watching Tage Thompson's seemingly sudden development this year, ya can't help but wonder who's next. I didn't see this coming with him. I think much credit has to go to coaching but the confidence and physical improvement is simply human maturation. Who's next! ... So glad they kept Granato. Especially with all the young talent on the team and in the system. Cerebral guy who understands what makes players tick.

• Like (+1) 6

18 minutes ago, Dryballs said:

Who's next!

I can think of a few: 

• It'd be nice to see Casey score more.  This year has been injury hell for him so you can't judge, but his last goal was a wicked wrister so maybe he's primed to break out.
  • Cozens is a Terrier and a Harrier but I'd like to see him with a more physical presence, more like Tuch or Mitts.  And yes, I want to see more scoring from him.  Is he at his ceiling?  I hope not.
  • Asplund.  I love his games, want to see more goals.  He might have it in him.
  • Krebs.  He's fine.  I just want to see more of him using his talent, and MORE SHOOTING!
  • Quinn and JJ- let's see what they've got!
  • A big jump by UPL to 1B status, moving into 1A as the season progresses.
  • Defense is easy and we're already seeing it.  Veterans Dahlin and Jokiharju leading a core of developing Power, Samuelsson, Bryson, Fitzgerald, Laaksonen, Johnson; all playing well, all fighting for those spots.

If you consider that a handful of these players break out next season under Granato, most of the talent we need for the future may already be here.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Dryballs said:

After watching Tage Thompson's seemingly sudden development this year, ya can't help but wonder who's next. I didn't see this coming with him. I think much credit has to go to coaching but the confidence and physical improvement is simply human maturation. Who's next! ... So glad they kept Granato. Especially with all the young talent on the team and in the system. Cerebral guy who understands what makes players tick.

Who’s next?  Mitts, Cozens and Krebs.  They have a few steps up each.  Dahlin will get even better, as will Samuelsson.  Power has tons of potential, I am impressed already with his maturity and his range. .  

Just get us a goalie KA.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 5

They're obviously in need of some parts (#1 goalie) but holy crap these guys play for him (Granato). ... It's freaking amazing to see the fire in Skinner. There's simply no telling how much some of the young guys will improve but they're no longer so "easy to play against" 

• Like (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Who’s next?  Mitts, Cozens and Krebs.  They have a few steps up each.  Dahlin will get even better, as will Samuelsson.  Power has tons of potential, I am impressed already with his maturity and his range. .  

Just get us a goalie KA.  

For me, it is Cozens. I know he’s only 21, but is pedigree and size scream a power forward presence sooner rather than later.  Especially when you hear @Taro T explain that Sabres leadership told him to not worry about points and only how to play a proper 200 foot game. 

• Like (+1) 5

49 minutes ago, Dryballs said:

It's Mittelstadt. His injury set him back this year.

• Like (+1) 4

11 hours ago, Curt said:

13th largest metro area?  But with regards to the number of hockey fans it must be significantly smaller than the 13th largest market, no?

They only jump down to 17th, according to FB followers.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/243087/facebook-fans-of-national-hockey-league-teams/

9 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Just get us a goalie KA.  

Mitts next year. Hands down. Cozens the year after that.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

You think he is fast enough? Looks can be deceiving, but I don’t see elite level burst/size/puck creativity.  But I’m not watching him closely. 
How big of a step would you expect?

15 goals 45 assists.  Since the calendar changed to March, Casey has 14 pts in his last 23 games (a 50 pt pace) with 18 of those games against playoff teams.  Now add a Quinn to his line and the sparks will fly. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dryballs said:

Didn't see Okposo becoming a 20 goal scorer either...

Granato seems to get the best out of these guys. It's a strange feeling to watch a coach actually develop the young players on this team after so long where they didn't.

As far as Thompson it was a brilliant move to change him to center and give him free reign in the middle of the ice when he noticed he was too compressed along the wall as a winger.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Porous Five Hole said:

For me, it is Cozens. I know he’s only 21, but is pedigree and size scream a power forward presence sooner rather than later.  Especially when you hear @Taro T explain that Sabres leadership told him to not worry about points and only how to play a proper 200 foot game. 

I hope he takes lessons from Tuch.  There's a guy that can tip the ice with his body.

1 hour ago, Porous Five Hole said:

You think he is fast enough? Looks can be deceiving, but I don’t see elite level burst/size/puck creativity.  But I’m not watching him closely. 
How big of a step would you expect?

I think his game doesn't depend on speed.  He used to be very weak on the puck and along the boards; he's evolving into a monster in those areas.  I'm not sure he'll ever be a top scorer but he could become a significant force.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

As far as Thompson it was a brilliant move to change him to center and give him free reign in the middle of the ice when he noticed he was too compressed along the wall as a winger.

Funny thing is:  He's much better along the boards this year too.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

15 goals 45 assists.  Since the calendar changed to March, Casey has 14 pts in his last 23 games (a 50 pt pace) with 18 of those games against playoff teams.  Now add a Quinn to his line and the sparks will fly. 

It still sucks how Mitts got hurt in the 1st game of the season but perhaps that was destiny as it allowed Tage to get an extended shot at center. It is really good though to see Mitts getting some of his moxie back over the past month. He just needs to trust his shot again.

Power had his ups and downs; I think the team might be a little too hellbent on getting him his first though lol

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffalOhio said:

That's the issue.  It's blacked out on Center Ice - I didn't see the Flyers Broadcast listed - only Sabres.  Something with Comcast not putting their games on DTV.

Whisky.  Tango.  Foxtrot.  That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Welcome back!

3 hours ago, Dryballs said:

Welcome back!

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

The sink or swim or immersion into NHL play is the right approach to take with Power. This staff would be foolish to have him spend any time in the AHL. He's got a lot to learn as do any rookie players. What he has demonstrated is his short stint is that not only can he handle playing in this league but he can excel in it. There is no doubt that he will never see any time in the minors unless sent there in a rehabbing assignment. 

Didn't want to imply he needs AHL time, just that he still needs lots and lots of coaching and his minutes and responsibilities need to be reduced here and there as appropriate or as the ups and downs of rookie development dictate. 

3 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

It would appear they see him as a 2 way player and a true shut down forward. I definitely think he can become that. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

So 2 20 goal scorers, 2 30 goal scorers anyone else close to 20 and TT closing in on 40.   Add Quinn and Peterka and more growth  from younguns...

First time with four 20 goal scorers since 2017-2018.  Yes, COVID did shorten 2 seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Just get us a goalie KA.  

Quinn and Paterka once they get here

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.