GDT: The Risen Sabres at the Phlyers - April 17 5:00 pm

That Aud Smell

9 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

You think he is fast enough? Looks can be deceiving, but I don’t see elite level burst/size/puck creativity.  But I’m not watching him closely. 
How big of a step would you expect?

He can become a 2/3 center. But he can't keep missing big chunks of the season.  Every time he takes a step he gets knocked out. He wasn't in mid-season shape because of the time he missed.

11 hours ago, BuffalOhio said:

That's the issue.  It's blacked out on Center Ice - I didn't see the Flyers Broadcast listed - only Sabres.  Something with Comcast not putting their games on DTV.

10 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Interesting because both feeds were listed on ESPN+

7 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Whisky.  Tango.  Foxtrot.  That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Welcome back!

Welcome back!

When the Sniders owned Comcast they DESPISED satellite TV.  So, local Comcast Sports channels weren't included in the DirecTV Sports Package and when regional sports packages were bought by Comcast their deals w/ DTV weren't renewed at expiration.

CI contractually was/is obligated to show all out of market games when there is a broadcast feed available, and in the US, except for the HNIC feed, they typically don't include the Canadian feed when US based teams play Canadian ones, so DTV CI gets the Phlyers feed for games against Canadian teams, but only against Canadian teams.

So, if you are a DTV subscriber in Filly, you are SOL if you want to watch a Phlyers game on DTV.  (Out of market broadcast blacked out, no Filly broadcast available.)

They have no issues w/ other cable companies.  And ESPN+ contract w/ the NHL is for both home & away local feeds (for US based teams, will have to check their lineup to see if Canadian feeds for cross border games end up there or not) that aren't carried on TNT, so Comcast can't black that Filly out.

So, that's why you can get the Filly feed on ESPN+ or Spectrum or other cable providers but not DTV or Dish.  (Presuming Dish still carries CI.) 

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

So, if you are a DTV subscriber in Filly, you are SOL if you want to watch a Phlyers game on DTV.

EVERY local game is blacked out on DTV CI, ESPN+, etc.  You have to watch them on the local cable networks.  Here in North Texas I wouldn't be able to see the Sabres play the Stars unless I had a Spectrum (or other provider of local content) account.  Standard stuff.

10 hours ago, SwampD said:

They only jump down to 17th, according to FB followers.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/243087/facebook-fans-of-national-hockey-league-teams/

Mitts next year. Hands down. Cozens the year after that.

Agree w/ the bolded.

Also, he is way harder a worker than people give him credit for.  He'll be fine after an off-season of healing up.

• Like (+1) 4

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Didn't want to imply he needs AHL time, just that he still needs lots and lots of coaching and his minutes and responsibilities need to be reduced here and there as appropriate or as the ups and downs of rookie development dictate. 

The one thing none of us needs to worry about is Granato's ability to work with young players (all players for that matter) and bring them along in their development. He's brilliant at individualizing his approach to each player's talents. He has said many times that making mistakes is part of the learning process. Compare that to Krueger where if you don't adhere to the prescribed script, you either get yanked or your minutes are curtailed?

I agree with you that young players are going to have uneven performances. That goes with being inexperienced. But a player like Power, who was the consensus #1 prospect in last year's draft, has shown in his international and college play that the more that he is exposed to, the more he absorbs. I'm not disagreeing with what you said. Your point makes a lot of sense. It's just that after watching him in 4 games I'm more inclined to give him a little more responsibility than you are. There is a maturity to his game that indicates that he can handle the mistakes he will make and learn from them. Just after watching him in the few games I have seen him play I don't think I'm being unrealistic in saying that this guy is going to be a gem.

35 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

EVERY local game is blacked out on DTV CI, ESPN+, etc.  You have to watch them on the local cable networks.  Here in North Texas I wouldn't be able to see the Sabres play the Stars unless I had a Spectrum (or other provider of local content) account.  Standard stuff.

That's true for two days.  The rebroadcasts of both feeds are available after that buffer on ESPN+.

Thanks for adding that.  But the question was why DTV CI didn't include the Filly feed but ESPN+ had it.  It's because Comcast Filly still doesn't play nice w/ satellite providers.  (Not sure if the other 3 Comcast Sports - Chicago, DC, & SJ play nice or not.)

And ESPN+ exclusive games drop off their menu of available rebroadcasts after 1 month (or possibly less).  So, while you can see other games that were originally primarily distributed via other channels on that package for longer, ESPN+ Exclusive games have a more limited shelf life. 

[Edit: PS - if you have DTV in the Filly market, there is no local sports network available & you can't watch the game.]

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The one thing none of us needs to worry about is Granato's ability to work with young players (all players for that matter) and bring them along in their development. He's brilliant at individualizing his approach to each player's talents. He has said many times that making mistakes is part of the learning process. Compare that to Krueger where if you don't adhere to the prescribed script, you either get yanked or your minutes are curtailed?

I agree with you that young players are going to have uneven performances. That goes with being inexperienced. But a player like Power, who was the consensus #1 prospect in last year's draft, has shown in his international and college play that the more that he is exposed to, the more he absorbs. I'm not disagreeing with what you said. Your point makes a lot of sense. It's just that after watching him in 4 games I'm more inclined to give him a little more responsibility than you are. There is a maturity to his game that indicates that he can handle the mistakes he will make and learn from them. Just after watching him in the few games I have seen him play I don't think I'm being unrealistic in saying that this guy is going to be a gem.

Power definitely will be a gem.  And right now, with being so far out of the playoffs they have the luxury of putting him in situations that might cost them games because the experience & getting the opportunities to help win games now will pay off down the road.  As an example, he made a brilliant play on Tuch's goal in the Blues game and as equally bad a play becoming the 2nd Sabre below the goal line on Tarasenko's 1st goal.  Was a big factor in the loss & Krueger would've given him heck for it, but for Granato it's a teaching moment.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Power definitely will be a gem.  And right now, with being so far out of the playoffs they have the luxury of putting him in situations that might cost them games because the experience & getting the opportunities to help win games now will pay off down the road.  As an example, he made a brilliant play on Tuch's goal in the Blues game and as equally bad a play becoming the 2nd Sabre below the goal line on Tarasenko's 1st goal.  Was a big factor in the loss & Krueger would've given him heck for it, but for Granato it's a teaching moment.

To underscore what you said in a WGR interview Granato was asked early on in the season when the Sabres were accumulating losses if he was getting discouraged. In his inimitable upbeat way he said absolutely not. He said that his most important goal for this season was to get better. He emphasized that what he saw in practice and in games was that his players were committed to getting better. He made the point that as long as they had the attitude and belief that they would get better that he was satisfied that the process that he believed in was working. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

To underscore what you said in a WGR interview Granato was asked early on in the season when the Sabres were accumulating losses if he was getting discouraged. In his inimitable upbeat way he said absolutely not. He said that his most important goal for this season was to get better. He emphasized that what he saw in practice and in games was that his players were committed to getting better. He made the point that as long as they had the attitude and belief that they would get better that he was satisfied that the process that he believed in was working. 

Yep.  Granato is that guy that can get put in a room full of manure & start looking for the pony.

His attitude seems infectious (in a good way).

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Yep.  Granato is that guy that can get put in a room full of manure & start looking for the pony.

His attitude seems infectious (in a good way).

What makes Granato captivating to listen to is that he is a true believer in what he is espousing. He's an Elmer Gantry without the hustle. 

What I'm intrigued with is that it is evident that he is good at working with a young roster that is developing. The next question becomes is how good of a coach is he with a developed roster and with an expectation to be a good team? That's the next issue and the big challenge.  I'm a Granato fan with admitted biases about him.  But on the second issue with how he performs with a more mature roster that is still an open question.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

What makes Granato captivating to listen to is that he is a true believer in what he is espousing. He's an Elmer Gantry without the hustle. 

What I'm intrigued with is that it is evident that he is good at working with a young roster that is developing. The next question becomes is how good of a coach is he with a developed roster and with an expectation to be a good team? That's the next issue and the big challenge.  I'm a Granato fan with admitted biases about him.  But on the second issue with how he performs with a more mature roster that is still an open question.

To the bolded, it is.  And he may turn out to be a guy that can only work w/ younger players or a Marty Schottenheimer that can get them far, but not far enough.  But he has a combination of intelligence, upbeatness (not a word, but you get the jist), and ability to convey complex ideas in easily understood terms that is rare.  Expect there's a reasonable chance that we lucked into one of the rare ones that can be the right choice to coach kids or vets.

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Agree w/ the bolded.

Also, he is way harder a worker than people give him credit for.  He'll be fine after an off-season of healing up.

There was a play yesterday where he came out of nowhere to strip the puck and snuff a good Flyer rush that was elite hustle. He’s been backchecking like a beast. Some people are noticing.

43 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Not disagreeing with this at all.

You have to acknowledge that his play last night was why young defencemen get benched by most coaches, though, right?

If Joki had that game this board would be all over him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, JohnC said:

how he performs with a more mature roster that is still an open question.

I hope the Sabres win a Cup in the next few years so we don't have to have that conversation about him being not good enough to get us over the hump.

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

ability to convey complex ideas in easily understood terms

The polar opposite of Krueger, who had a total lack of ability to convey simple ideas in the most convoluted way possible.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

To the bolded, it is.  And he may turn out to be a guy that can only work w/ younger players or a Marty Schottenheimer that can get them far, but not far enough.  But he has a combination of intelligence, upbeatness (not a word, but you get the jist), and ability to convey complex ideas in easily understood terms that is rare.  Expect there's a reasonable chance that we lucked into one of the rare ones that can be the right choice to coach kids or vets.

I think he is that new NHL coach kinda guy, à la John Cooper.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

There was a play yesterday where he came out of nowhere to strip the puck and snuff a good Flyer rush that was elite hustle. He’s been backchecking like a beast. Some people are noticing.

So who will be the ROR on this team?  Mitts or Cozens?  Or both?  Or neither?

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Not disagreeing with this at all.

You have to acknowledge that his play last night was why young defencemen get benched by most coaches, though, right?

If Joki had that game this board would be all over him.

Yes.   Because of the Sabres situation Power is free to learn, and learn from mistakes.  But unlike most other young defenseman he is mixing in a lot of confident and smart play too. 

In the next few seasons he will likely have some down games to go with the upside.   Teams will target him and try to intimidate and rattle him.  Hopefully we don’t see this board jumpIng to irrational comments like calling for trades, or name calling as he learns the NHL game.  

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Who’s next?  Mitts, Cozens and Krebs.  They have a few steps up each.  Dahlin will get even better, as will Samuelsson.  Power has tons of potential, I am impressed already with his maturity and his range. .  

Just get us a goalie KA.  

I gotta believe next year's biggest jump will be Mitts, he seems to be following Tage's footsteps. Last season was supposed to be the "show me" year for Tage but I think he got injured his first game up and really didn't get much ice time. Then he comes in this year and his production exploded.

I can see the same trajectory for Casey, this was supposed to be a big year for him, but game 1 he got injured and missed a whole lot of time. Next year he'll be our Thompson and we'll be happy to have it. Hopefully he'll have more skill on his wings as well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Taro T said:

I have no doubts about Power being good, very good, but there will be debates on the best methods of development. I guess I'm just a little iffy on the usual Sabre approach with D men. Myers, Risto, given too much too fast and set back imo. Risto developed bad habits he's stuck with for his career. Dahlin's development a little iffy for me too. I think it was too much early, but fortunately he's good enough and responsive enough to coaching that he's come out of it and is becoming more complete. Thinking it could have been quicker however if it started earlier, and I still see some things he does that could become bad habits as well. 

Myself, I'd rather have Power paired with a veteran D man the way Boston put McAvoy with Chara and work him in step by step, but I'm obviously not going to get that so we shall see. 

As for Granato as a coach, definitely bringing out the offensive side in numerous players, still not convinced he can teach them a proper defensive system. maybe that too is coming later in his plan. Have to hope so. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.