GDT: Buffalo at Toronto, 4/12/22, 7 PM, MSG, WGR FEEL THE POWER

Doohickie

My thoughts on the game:

1. Holy Toledo Batman, we have a top 4 D of a 19, 22, 22 and 22 year olds that should be outstanding for 10+ years. 
  2. Those 4 average 6'4 and 211 lbs. and as time goes by they'll get bigger and stronger, uh-oh NHL you're in trouble
  3. Add in 6'4 Tuch, 6'7 Thompson and 6'3 Cozens and this team has become big and fast
  4. I'm not sure if I was more impressed by HCDG moving Thompson to Center or Dahlin to RHD, they were nothing short of wow yesterday
  5. If that's Power's 1st game, I'm thinking this is our best D grouping ever
  6. I thought every line was good again, not only speedy but skilled and played fast
  7. If you take Bisonette with a grain of salt, he's actually hilarious. I'm in on this new rivalry we just restarted. You know the hate is brewing up there.
  8. I not only was entertained, I was giddy with excitement over the play of this team

Now as for some poster comments,

1. You may want to find a proper cleaner for your tv screen, you are not watching the same game the rest of us are, such as...
  2. Mitts and Roy are gutless, OMG you're not on Twitter trying to get clicker points, just stop
  3. Power's footing was bad?? He got turned around too much?? A 19 year old playing his 1st game against a top 5 NHL scoring team with the best goal scoring forward since Ovi, on the road in a revenge game and this is the best you have to offer??
  4. Bryson and Fitzgerald are good, no they're not. It seemed like every time the Sabres were pinned in their zone, those 2 were on the ice, Instead of 2 RHD vets we need to upgrade, we just have to find a 3rd pairing now.
  5. Yes I know bigger isn't necessarily better Mr. GM wannabe but even you have to admit this team has some good big guys

Side notes, that was Hayden's best game, he still is a JAG but he was noticeable in a good way. When Olofsson gets hot, he gets hot. When Quinn and JJP are ready we're about to have a pretty formidable forward group. Did anyone notice how much Cozens-Girgensons and Okposo played together in the 3rd period?? 

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

From my viewings, Power’s game is not Dahlin’s; he’s not a dazzler, he’s all about poise.

It’s like the game unfolds more slowly for him. His style like an adult playing with 12 year olds: composed and always in control. The adult doesn’t knock the kids over, or stick handle around them, he uses his brain to diagnose where the play is going to stay 2 steps ahead and his body to buy time and space in those instances where he’s pressured.

That you could see those qualities in the circumstances of yesterday is impressive. Because it is going to to take 200 games before NHL speed is natural and expected for him.

If he becomes dominant it’s not going to be like Bobby Orr, it’s going to be like Nick Lidstrom: a giant comfort blanket for his coach and his teammates.

Think of him as the ice to Dahlin’s fire.

Agree wholeheartedly. I will add that I noticed several times where Power's size and stick length allowed him to cover more ground in blocking a passing/shooting lane that a smaller defense man probably wouldn't have been able to. Additionally he seems like a very risk averse player. He'll choose to fall back instead of pinching in the offensive zone, for instance.

Can we agree that the Sabres PP looked god-awful last night and most of this recent stretch? 

Constantly failing to penetrate the zone and getting forced back in endless circling?

Looks can be deceiving. They were 2 for 4 and are on a 10 for 26 run.

It’s like if they ever do manage to generate a chance it goes in.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Can we agree that the Sabres PP looked god-awful last night and most of this recent stretch? 

Constantly failing to penetrate the zone and getting forced back in endless circling?

Well as my 1st girlfriend once said, once you get it in the zone, that's when the fun begins.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

he struck me as mostly neutral - which is great news, under the circumstances.

For a defensive defenseman, this is the goal.

I think there are differences between Dahlin and Power developmentally:

• Dahlin came into the NHL directly from Sweden and spent his time learning the North American game and ice surface at the top level.  Power grew up here and had a year of college, the World Championships and the Olympics to play against top talent, so he comes in a year older and having played against better competition.
  • Dahlin is not small, but Power looks like he already knows the advantage size gives him and uses it well.
  • Power, thus far, does not seem tempted to try to stickhandle in a phone booth.  He is aware of poke checks and generally seemed to make the smart, simple play instead of the flashy high risk, high reward play that Dahlin tends toward.
  • Perhaps a byproduct of growing up with the North American game, he seems to read the play better than rookie Dahlin did.

I'm sure Power will have his struggles but I think he came into the league a bit better prepared than Dahlin.

• Like (+1) 5

20 minutes ago, dudacek said:

From my viewings, Power’s game is not Dahlin’s; he’s not a dazzler, he’s all about poise.

It’s like the game unfolds more slowly for him. His style like an adult playing with 12 year olds: composed and always in control. The adult doesn’t knock the kids over, or stick handle around them, he uses his brain in order to diagnose where the play is going and stay 2 steps ahead and his body to buy time and space in those instances where he’s pressured.

That you could see those qualities in the circumstances of yesterday is impressive. Because it is going to to take 200 games before NHL speed is natural and expected for him.

If he becomes dominant it’s not going to be like Bobby Orr, it’s going to be like Nick Lidstrom: a giant comfort blanket for his coach and his teammates.

Think of him as the ice to Dahlin’s fire.

well put Dude (a-check)

Really seeing the limits of Bryson and Fitz last night. Bryson doesn't have the strength down low and when you watch him pinball off a forward while Muel wrecks the forwards, the difference is even more apparent. Fitz is just there and sure he is fiesty but he is very lackluster IMPO. I would love to sign Ryan Johnson and get him in over Byrson for the last little bit here. 

Power was fine, about what you would expect. Nothing really bad and his length saved him once or twice. It is nice having all that size down low on the backend and once Power realizes he can lean into NHL level players he will get a lot better. 

Dahlin... man I hope the birthday boy keep doing what he is doing and improving because it is a blast to watch. 

Thought Krebs had a really up and down night as he struggled at times. There were a few passes he made in the defensive zone that were really bad. 

Tuch, his shot is mediocre but he does good on puck retrievals. 

Tage and Skinner are really good. Okposo doing his thing as well. 

Really starting to get a feel for what next year can be. 

• Like (+1) 5

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Say what you will about +/-, but -20 in 30 games — in 3rd-pairing minutes on a team that has been playing pretty well over that stretch — tells the tale for me on Fitzgerald.

Too bad, because I love his fearless approach.

David Jiricek would sure look really nice taking over Fitz spot as early as 2023. 

49 minutes ago, NAF said:

Agree wholeheartedly. I will add that I noticed several times where Power's size and stick length allowed him to cover more ground in blocking a passing/shooting lane that a smaller defense man probably wouldn't have been able to. Additionally he seems like a very risk averse player. He'll choose to fall back instead of pinching in the offensive zone, for instance.

Is that relative to all NHL defensemen or a 19 year old playing in his first game and logging 19 minutes?

Either way, I'm willing to give him until game 3 or even game 4 to see if he has more willingness to generate offense by pinching more. 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Sakman said:

Is that relative to all NHL defensemen or a 19 year old playing in his first game and logging 19 minutes?

Either way, I'm willing to give him until game 3 or even game 4 to see if he has more willingness to generate offense by pinching more. 

Against his peers, Power is frequently pinching and joining the rush. But not in a way that ever seemed to result in leaving his team exposed.

I suspect you’re going to see it more often as he gets more comfortable.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, dudacek said:

And yet they cashed in on two. I agree they have a lot of trouble with the man advantage, including when pulling the goalie. But somehow they are ranked 17th in the past play at 20.9%.

12 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The Sabres provide the blueprint how.

11 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I have not seen much discussion on this: what do the Sabres do that stifles Toronto?  They are a very good team, yet the Sabres have blown them out late three straight times IN CANADA.  How could a playoff team replicate it?  How could Toronto counter it?

3 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I have not seen much discussion on this: what do the Sabres do that stifles Toronto?  They are a very good team, yet the Sabres have blown them out late three straight times IN CANADA.  How could a playoff team replicate it?  How could Toronto counter it?

According to Rob Ray, the Leafs are not a good defensive team. Attack them in their end and they go to pieces 

• Like (+1) 1

Well, if one is going to throw their first post out there, might as well shake up the bushes with it.

I have been thinking for a couple weeks now about the very scenario @jsb posed in his last question above. How effective would a line be with Cozens centering OK and Gus? DG hasn't been shy about matching Cozens up against top centers. I would assume OK would be even more effective offensively replacing Eakin at center. And don't call them a 'checking line' even though they would match up (when possible) against the other teams' top lines. That line should provide some secondary scoring also. An enhanced LOG line, if you will. But I suppose that's a topic for a different thread.

Separately and more on topic, I plan to watch every Leafs playoff game just to enjoy the misery that will be put upon their fanbase and the Toronto press. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

Well, if one is going to throw their first post out there, might as well shake up the bushes with it.

I have been thinking for a couple weeks now about the very scenario @jsb posed in his last question above. How effective would a line be with Cozens centering OK and Gus? DG hasn't been shy about matching Cozens up against top centers. I would assume OK would be even more effective offensively replacing Eakin at center. And don't call them a 'checking line' even though they would match up (when possible) against the other teams' top lines. That line should provide some secondary scoring also. An enhanced LOG line, if you will. But I suppose that's a topic for a different thread.

Separately and more on topic, I plan to watch every Leafs playoff game just to enjoy the misery that will be put upon their fanbase and the Toronto press. 

Looked to me like Donnie slid Cozens into that role after Krebs' terrible giveaway. it was the type of move we haven't seen Donnie make too often and it makes sense if he's rolling 3 lines. Cozens (and Asplund) also got PK time last night, something I think is a good idea as we start looking ahead to next year; they have good PK skill sets.

Semi-related, Hinostroza and Hayden combined for maybe 15 minutes of ice time last night. Donnie almost always gives every one at least 10 minutes. Again, maybe an indication of wanting to maximize opportunities for the younger guys.

And, welcome!

3 hours ago, jsb said:

you take Bisonette with a grain of salt, he's actually hilarious. I'm in on this new rivalry we just restarted. You know the hate is brewing up there.

From listening to Rivet's bit on spitting chiclets I think he is trying to stir all this to get people to go to some ball hockey tournament he'll be playing in. Which is in buffalo. More people paying to boo him the better (I guess is what he's thinking). 

Also fck the Leafs. I like rivalries. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.