GDT: Buffalo at Toronto, 4/12/22, 7 PM, MSG, WGR FEEL THE POWER

Doohickie

7 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

So we put a guy in his first NHL game up against the top scorer in the league and the top scorer in the league was stoned.

Give Power some credit FFS.

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

Seconded. That was fantastic.

This is the Olofsson we saw in the first few weeks of the season.

Heā€™s slowly and steadily clearing the barn of that one-trick pony rap. There are times heā€™s been seeing the ice like Sam Reinhart.

My biggest takeaway from tonight will be how dominant a Dahlin/Power/Samuelsson/Jokiharju top 4 could be a few years down the road.

But papa I want to take Elizabeth to the cottillion THIS spring! I'm 14 now. Robert is 15 and he's allowed to fight in France!

9 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Interesting, considering this game was played in Toronto:

image.png.70622cc5b4ecace9ae097565db845ce7.png

Media decides. They are impartial.

9 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Iā€™m looking forward to the ā€œIs Power dumbā€ and ā€œPower sucks, trade him nowā€ threads next season or the season after that šŸ˜‚

Ā 

Seriously ā€¦. The kid played well. Tonight.Ā 

Or early in season four while slumping.

• Haha (+1) 1

Here are the highlights in a shift-by-shift breakdown for OPie:

First period

Shift No. 1:Ā Power touched the puck immediately as the Sabres won the opening faceoff. He passed to Girgensons for a dump-in, and Matthews lifted the puck over the glass for a delay of game just 32 seconds in.

Power and Matthews shared the ice for 9:25, according to Natural Stat Trick, a daunting total for any defenseman, let alone a 19-year-old who was a college sophomore last week.

ā€œIt was pretty cool,ā€ Power said. ā€œHeā€™s someone Iā€™ve watched since heā€™s been in the league and been one of my favorite players to watch as a fan, so heā€™s definitely impressive. It was a lot of fun to be out there with him.ā€

No. 2:Ā Because of the special teams play brought on by the opening shift, Power sat for more than three minutes before returning to the ice. The lefty skated across the blue line to keep the puck on the right side of the Toronto zone.

No. 3:Ā This was fun. As the teams prepared to skate four-on-four, Granato sent a defense pairing of Power andĀ Rasmus DahlinĀ ā€” the No. 1 picks from 2021 and 2018.

The shift featured Powerā€™s play of the game. As Torontoā€™s Mark Giordano and Matthews headed toward him on a two-on-one, Power positioned himself in the middle of the duo. The 6-foot-6 defender stole Giordanoā€™s pass intended for Matthews, preventing a scoring chance and making it look easy.

ā€œIt was unbelievable,ā€ Tuch said. ā€œHeā€™s got a big, long stick and heā€™s a big body, so heā€™s going to cover a lot of the ice.ā€

ā€œI knew Matthews was on the other side,ā€ Power said, ā€œso I was more worried about not letting him get the puck.ā€

He didnā€™t.

No. 6:Ā After sending an outlet pass toĀ Rasmus Asplund, Power got tangled withĀ Mitch MarnerĀ near the blue line and hit the ice. It opened a lane for Matthews down the middle, butĀ Craig AndersonĀ was up to the task and kept Power from his first goal against.

No. 7:Ā Power showed his mobility, stepping aroundĀ William NylanderĀ to findĀ John HaydenĀ with an outlet pass to clear the Buffalo zone.

No. 9:Ā Power had a chance at his inaugural shot from the top of the Leafsā€™ zone but opted to pass left to Jokiharju.

No. 10:Ā The rookieā€™s mobility was needed again. With Anderson down and the puck sitting near the post, Power scooped it up and zipped around the back of the cage to help Buffalo clear the zone.

ā€œHe has such a good feel for the game,ā€ Granato said. ā€œThe game is less of a stress to him than others.ā€

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, klos1963 said:

He's already crying... Leafs play down to their opponents level....

I was thinking about this.Ā  One might consider this a trap game for the Leafs.Ā  But here's the thing:Ā  The Sabres showed them the exact same game on March 2 (5-1 Buffalo) and March 13 (5-2 Buffalo).Ā  A trap game is when a lesser team catches a better team unawares.Ā  Toronto knew who the Sabres were and simply don't have an answer.

• Like (+1) 1

Second period

No. 11:Ā Marner hounded Power along the blue line, forcing the Sabres defenseman to leave the Toronto zone with the puck.

No. 13:Ā One of the NHLā€™s youngest players won a battle against one of the oldest as the 19-year-old stole the puck from 38-year-oldĀ Jason Spezza.

No. 14:Ā There was activity at both ends as Power rushed back to try to stop a stretch pass to Marner. The Leafs forward still got the puck and set up Matthews for a prime scoring chance. Power then went to the other end to joinĀ Jeff Skinneron a rush, but the left winger curled back rather than try a risky pass.

No. 15:Ā Power showed the awareness that allowed him to control games in Michigan. With the puck in the Toronto zone, he glanced over his shoulder and saw forwardĀ Vinnie Hinostrozabacking him up. Power quickly pinched to pressure the Leafs puck carrier.

ā€œIā€™m someone who likes to go as much as I can, but obviously youā€™ve got to manage it,ā€ he said.

No. 17:Ā Granato sent the rookie out for another four-on-four situation, but Powerā€™s shift withĀ Jacob BrysonĀ lasted just 30 seconds.

Third period

No. 20:Ā The defenseman had four shifts longer than a minute during the third period, starting with this one. Still, he closed it by getting in the way of Torontoā€™s point shot.

No. 21:Ā Skinner gave Buffalo a 3-1 lead, and Power joined his first goal celebration.

No. 22:Ā Dahlin had built the lead to 4-1, so Granato sent Power out for a short-handed shift that lasted 1:11. It was valuable experience.

ā€œWe donā€™t fear the mistake,ā€ Granato said. ā€œWe know theyā€™re going to learn from it, so we want to get them against top players in key situations, knowing these are guys who are going to be here for a while. These are core guys for us.ā€

No. 26:Ā Asplund sealed the win with an empty-net goal, and Power enjoyed his second group hug.

He enjoyed everything.

ā€œIt was a good start to kind of get my toes wet,ā€ he said, ā€œbut I think I definitely could be a lot better.ā€

It should be a fun career to watch.

ā€œHeā€™s got a really bright future ahead of him,ā€ Tuch said. ā€œHeā€™ll be a superstar in this league.ā€

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SwampD said:
9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Disagree. Got turned around a few times, lost his footing, made a few rushed decisions.Ā  It'll all come in time no worries but that's the reality.

Still, even with that, he's better than half our D core already.Ā 

Dude. Whatever. If you did see this, it was no more than any other D man in any other game.

I've watched/read several recaps of this game from various people and @PerreaultForever is the only one seeing these flaws.Ā  I would say that on top of Power's excellent performance, Joki played what might have been his best game in a Sabres uniform.Ā  Perhaps the challenge to mentor/protect Power will elevate his game going forward.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:
7 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

So we put a guy in his first NHL game up against the top scorer in the league and the top scorer in the league was stoned.

Give Power some credit FFS.

I thought that's what I did.Ā  I said in his first NHL game he shut down the league's top scorer.Ā  How is that not giving credit?Ā  And please, stop throwing FFS around.Ā  It's just uncouth.

44 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:
10 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Interesting, considering this game was played in Toronto:

image.png.70622cc5b4ecace9ae097565db845ce7.png

Expand Ā 

Media decides. They are impartial.

Suuuuurrrrre they are.Ā  Especially the Toronto media.

5 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I thought that's what I did.Ā  I said in his first NHL game he shut down the league's top scorer.Ā  How is that not giving credit?Ā  And please, stop throwing FFS around.Ā  It's just uncouth.

I think PA was making a joke about how it wasnā€™t Matthews being stoned that prevented him from scoring, but Powerā€™s good game defensively.Ā 

22 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I've watched/read several recaps of this game from various people and @PerreaultForever is the only one seeing these flaws.Ā  I would say that on top of Power's excellent performance, Joki played what might have been his best game in a Sabres uniform.Ā  Perhaps the challenge to mentor/protect Power will elevate his game going forward.

Ā 

12 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I think PA was making a joke about how it wasnā€™t Matthews being stoned that prevented him from scoring, but Powerā€™s good game defensively.Ā 

Sometimes you gotta be Tage height for PA not to go over your head.

I mean when was your last cotillion?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Ā 

We spelt it with 2 Ts you ***** punk.

34 minutes ago, Spoonman said:

Second period

No. 11:Ā Marner hounded Power along the blue line, forcing the Sabres defenseman to leave the Toronto zone with the puck.

No. 13:Ā One of the NHLā€™s youngest players won a battle against one of the oldest as the 19-year-old stole the puck from 38-year-oldĀ Jason Spezza.

No. 14:Ā There was activity at both ends as Power rushed back to try to stop a stretch pass to Marner. The Leafs forward still got the puck and set up Matthews for a prime scoring chance. Power then went to the other end to joinĀ Jeff Skinneron a rush, but the left winger curled back rather than try a risky pass.

No. 15:Ā Power showed the awareness that allowed him to control games in Michigan. With the puck in the Toronto zone, he glanced over his shoulder and saw forwardĀ Vinnie Hinostrozabacking him up. Power quickly pinched to pressure the Leafs puck carrier.

ā€œIā€™m someone who likes to go as much as I can, but obviously youā€™ve got to manage it,ā€ he said.

No. 17:Ā Granato sent the rookie out for another four-on-four situation, but Powerā€™s shift withĀ Jacob BrysonĀ lasted just 30 seconds.

Third period

No. 20:Ā The defenseman had four shifts longer than a minute during the third period, starting with this one. Still, he closed it by getting in the way of Torontoā€™s point shot.

No. 21:Ā Skinner gave Buffalo a 3-1 lead, and Power joined his first goal celebration.

No. 22:Ā Dahlin had built the lead to 4-1, so Granato sent Power out for a short-handed shift that lasted 1:11. It was valuable experience.

ā€œWe donā€™t fear the mistake,ā€ Granato said. ā€œWe know theyā€™re going to learn from it, so we want to get them against top players in key situations, knowing these are guys who are going to be here for a while. These are core guys for us.ā€

No. 26:Ā Asplund sealed the win with an empty-net goal, and Power enjoyed his second group hug.

He enjoyed everything.

ā€œIt was a good start to kind of get my toes wet,ā€ he said, ā€œbut I think I definitely could be a lot better.ā€

It should be a fun career to watch.

ā€œHeā€™s got a really bright future ahead of him,ā€ Tuch said. ā€œHeā€™ll be a superstar in this league.ā€

This is excellent but needs to be credited.

37 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I was thinking about this.Ā  One might consider this a trap game for the Leafs.Ā  But here's the thing:Ā  The Sabres showed them the exact same game on March 2 (5-1 Buffalo) and March 13 (5-2 Buffalo).Ā  A trap game is when a lesser team catches a better team unawares.Ā  Toronto knew who the Sabres were and simply don't have an answer.

My observation is that Toronto is falling into the Jack Eichel trap. Every time Matthews was on the ice, all of his teammates were deferring to him. Ā We all know how that ends.

I was not convinced at any point before the empty netter that we had things in hand. Ā Toronto was dangerous all game. Ā But Toronto was not playing a team game. Ā They were playing an Austin Matthews game.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Ā 

Must have been around the same time Thelma Lou invited me to the Sadie Hawkins dance.

• Like (+1) 1

I appreciate @Spoonmanā€™s shift by shift review.

I think Iā€™m with @North Buffalo: That was a solid showing by a promising prospect, but letā€™s not get carried away. I loved his quick turn up ice so he could outlet to Dahlin (??!!) and of course his breakup of the 2 on 1. Beyond that, he struck me as mostly neutral - which is great news, under the circumstances.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Weave said:

My observation is that Toronto is falling into the Jack Eichel trap. Every time Matthews was on the ice, all of his teammates were deferring to him. Ā We all know how that ends.

I was not convinced at any point before the empty netter that we had things in hand. Ā Toronto was dangerous all game. Ā But Toronto was not playing a team game. Ā They were playing an Austin Matthews game.

Spot on.

This is a lesson Toronto and Edmonton have not yet learned.Ā  It's a lesson VGK is just starting to experience.Ā 

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

He was decent lets not overstep... positionally sound, didnt do too much and it was important he didnt do too much... kept it simple

Yes.Ā  He was at least decent, actually much better than decent when you look at the poise and the stay at home game.Ā  Power played more conservative in the offensive zone, which is fine.Ā Ā 

The Blues tomorrow at home.Ā  Ā Expect those big St Louis forwards to bang.Ā  Power will see a different game from a much grittier team.Ā 

Power will have his growing pains like all young defensemen but it is hard to not see that he will be very good in a short time.Ā  What will help him, that Dahlin did not get, is the benefit of a good team atmosphere, culture building, and good coaching.Ā  Ā 

With Kyle, Zemgus, and Tuch leading the players, the youth are in good hands.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.