GDT: Buffalo at Toronto, 4/12/22, 7 PM, MSG, WGR FEEL THE POWER

Doohickie

Honest question. 
Why do some Sabres fans care what Toronto fans, papers, radio shows, podcast hosts, and players say about the Sabres? Why is that something that affects some fans to the point of being upset/offended/mad? And others it just rolls off easily.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Honest question. 
Why do some Sabres fans care what Toronto fans, papers, radio shows, podcast hosts, and players say about the Sabres? Why is that something that affects some fans to the point of being upset/offended/mad? And others it just rolls off easily.

I think it really depends on a combination of POV and how entrenched one is in hockey as a whole. If you are a Sabres fan from North Carolina who never lived in Buffalo; your views would differ from a hockey enthusiast from Buffalo. You may both love the team equally; but one would also tie external factors in with the team where as the non-local may not. If Toronto media throws shade at Buffalo(the city and team) a native Floridan won’t be up in arms where as Buffalonians likely would be.

I guess a perfect example would be my love of the San Francisco Giants. I personally feel the city is a liberal train wreck but that holds no influence over my love for the team. If media goes after the team/city, I don’t have enough “skin” in the game to become angered by it. Yet purely attacks against the franchise an get my temperature up

Edited by thewookie1
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JustOneParade said:

Well, if one is going to throw their first post out there, might as well shake up the bushes with it.

I have been thinking for a couple weeks now about the very scenario @jsb posed in his last question above. How effective would a line be with Cozens centering OK and Gus? DG hasn't been shy about matching Cozens up against top centers. I would assume OK would be even more effective offensively replacing Eakin at center. And don't call them a 'checking line' even though they would match up (when possible) against the other teams' top lines. That line should provide some secondary scoring also. An enhanced LOG line, if you will. But I suppose that's a topic for a different thread.

Separately and more on topic, I plan to watch every Leafs playoff game just to enjoy the misery that will be put upon their fanbase and the Toronto press. 

Welcome!

9 hours ago, jsb said:

Mitts and Roy are gutless, OMG you're not on Twitter trying to get clicker points, just stop

What does this even mean? Until i see some sort of video evidence, you just stop.

You mean little Roy wasn’t going to fight big guy who fights? Whatever. Thats just smart. He was our top scorer. I didn’t want him fighting. He still got under Chara’s skin often, no matter what you guys are choosing to remember.

And when has Mitts shied away from the extra-curricular activity? Is it his face that makes you think he’s gutless? It’s a dumb comment if you ask me. I think he’s been playing some really good hockey. 

Edited by SwampD

16 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I think it has more to do with frequency, you can write off one game as your team sleepwalking. You can’t honestly get me to believe that Toronto decides to only let it’s guard down against the Sabres 3 separate times in a month.

We had their number this year akin to how Detroit had ours 

Except Detroit is actually ahead of is in the standings so it makes sense that they’ve owned us.

5 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Yes, and not pushing to win right away this past season looks like it will reap benefits in future seasons.  DG developed a culture and identity for this team that has every player believing in their own contributions to the team's success.

You make an incisive observation. Granato on WGR was asked if he was getting discouraged with so much losing. (Before this past month's resurgence.) He said no. He said since he took over from Krueger that his priority for this team was to consistently get better. He pointed out that he would rather play younger players who make mistakes and learn than play veteran players that give you a better opportunity to win in the short term.  He has said on more than a few occasions that what he sees from his young players in practice and how they are invested in getting better that he remains optimistic of what the near future outcome is going to be. 

He's great to listen to. He's transparent and thoughtful in responses to the questions that he is asked. I have never seen him shirk a question or make excuses. I admire him as a coach and leader. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

They aren’t by enough to matter, it’s like 2 points with a game in hand. If we win all of the games we’d practically just swap spots in the standings.

They were when they were owning us lol

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

By one point. We could well catch them.

Context matters 

13 hours ago, SwampD said:

I thought Toronto's D had way more trouble with the speed of this NHL game than Power did.

Dude. Whatever. If you did see this, it was no more than any other D man in any other game.

Only, this was his first game. 

Can't disagree with the first sentence. Toronto's D is still not good and ultimately it and their goaltending is why they won't win the cup again this year.

As for the rest, I said that. First game, no worries, no big deal. 

It's not like I'm going to get into a comparison of how good Beniers debut was by comparison 🙂

11 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I've watched/read several recaps of this game from various people and @PerreaultForever is the only one seeing these flaws.  I would say that on top of Power's excellent performance, Joki played what might have been his best game in a Sabres uniform.  Perhaps the challenge to mentor/protect Power will elevate his game going forward.

Don't disagree with the Joker part. 

6 hours ago, Spoonman said:

Not sure what game you watched……. See the breakdown of his shifts posted this AM (from The Athletic). He had a very good game and Tuch said he played like a 10 yr vet. Soooo…. 

lmao. I knew if I even mentioned a single flaw I'd get blowback here but that's okay. See above and read all the words. I did also say it was no big deal and nothing to worry about. 

Now let's discuss how well Hayden played instead 🙂

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Welcome!

What does this even mean? Until i see some sort of video evidence, you just stop.

You mean little Roy wasn’t going to fight big guy who fights? Whatever. Thats just smart. He was our top scorer. I didn’t want him fighting. He still got under Chara’s skin often, no matter what you guys are choosing to remember.

And when has Mitts shied away from the extra-curricular activity? Is it his face that makes you think he’s gutless? It’s a dumb comment if you ask me. I think he’s been playing some really good hockey. 

Sir l believe you missed the point, reread that section and get back with me

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/12/2022 at 1:24 PM, inkman said:

How are we to pronounce your handle?  As of now, I’m going with See-Teeth until I hear otherwise.  😁

Not the first time I have been asked that!  Adopted the name from a character in a book.  It's actually pronounced kuh-thay according to the author.  

Anyways, was excited to see Power not look over matched in his first game.  Good things ahead for our young defenseman!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 hours ago, JustOneParade said:

Well, if one is going to throw their first post out there, might as well shake up the bushes with it.

I have been thinking for a couple weeks now about the very scenario @jsb posed in his last question above. How effective would a line be with Cozens centering OK and Gus? DG hasn't been shy about matching Cozens up against top centers. I would assume OK would be even more effective offensively replacing Eakin at center. And don't call them a 'checking line' even though they would match up (when possible) against the other teams' top lines. That line should provide some secondary scoring also. An enhanced LOG line, if you will. But I suppose that's a topic for a different thread.

Separately and more on topic, I plan to watch every Leafs playoff game just to enjoy the misery that will be put upon their fanbase and the Toronto press. 

Welcome to the board!

52 minutes ago, Ctaeth said:

Not the first time I have been asked that!  Adopted the name from a character in a book.  It's actually pronounced kuh-thay according to the author.  

Anyways, was excited to see Power not look over matched in his first game.  Good things ahead for our young defenseman!

Welcome to the board!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.