GDT: Buffalo at Toronto, 4/12/22, 7 PM, MSG, WGR FEEL THE POWER

Doohickie

9 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I actually thought Power seemed to be having a little trouble adjusting to the speed of the game at this level but he wasn't horrible. No big deal, I'm sure it's just a first game type thing. Still confident he will be very good. 

Love beating the Laughs. Just love it. Season highlight maybe. 

He had no trouble at all. He looked great, like a 10 year pro. Broke up a 2 on 1, made some great head man passes, was a +2.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just saw a stat: Matthews has points in 16 of his last 18 games.  Both pointless games were against Buffalo.

Addendum: he also had no points in the 5-1 loss before that.

Edited by Marvin, Sabres Fan
  • Thanks (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I actually thought Power seemed to be having a little trouble adjusting to the speed of the game at this level but he wasn't horrible. No big deal, I'm sure it's just a first game type thing. Still confident he will be very good. 

Love beating the Laughs. Just love it. Season highlight maybe. 

Everyone sees it differently but I feel like this didn’t happen at all. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

He had no trouble at all. He looked great, like a 10 year pro. Broke up a 2 on 1, made some great head man passes, was a +2.

Disagree. Got turned around a few times, lost his footing, made a few rushed decisions.  It'll all come in time no worries but that's the reality.

Still, even with that, he's better than half our D core already. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Interesting, considering this game was played in Toronto:

image.png.70622cc5b4ecace9ae097565db845ce7.png

The three players listed as stars is a good representation of the players who were the most influential players in this game. I thought that Tuch was the primary driver of his line. He seemed to be flying past defenders all game. His pass to Skinner for a score was exceptional. 

Power played a controlled game. He kept it simple and didn't try to force the issue. As a defenseman he has natural instincts. On more than a few occasions he guided the opposing played out of the danger zone. Quite impressive for an inaugural game. I thought he worked well with Joki and Samuelsson worked well with Dahlin. Granato is astute in putting together pairings and lines. 

Olofsson made a couple of gorgeous passes that ended up for scores. I thought he was going to shoot the puck but instead passed to the open Dahlin for a goal. 

Asplund's value isn't reflected by stats as much as it is by his consistent effort. 

In a sport that has an ebb and flow I can't recall any Sabres lapses in this game. The effort was constant.  

Dahlin is one of the top tier players in the league. 

The biggest surprise player for me is Okposo. Upon entering this season I thought he would start to decline. He has been our most consistent player throughout this season. 

With good goaltending this team can keep up with any team. 

Great win. I'm hoping that this team can finish on a positive note.  

• Like (+1) 4

54 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Power had a nice game.  Joker did a good job with him.  I especially like the Samuelsson/Dahlin tandem a lot.  Dahlin had opportunities to skate and create.  

Beating Tronto is always fun.  Can’t wait to watch them lose in round 1. 

The Sabres provide the blueprint how.

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The three players listed as stars is a good representation of the players who were the most influential players in this game. I thought that Tuch was the primary driver of his line. He seemed to be flying past defenders all game. His pass to Skinner for a score was exceptional. 

Power played a controlled game. He kept it simple and didn't try to force the issue. As a defenseman he has natural instincts. On more than a few occasions he guided the opposing played out of the danger zone. Quite impressive for an inaugural game. I thought he worked well with Joki and Samuelsson worked well with Dahlin. Granato is astute in putting together pairings and lines. 

Olofsson made a couple of gorgeous passes that ended up for scores. I thought he was going to shoot the puck but instead passed to the open Dahlin for a goal. 

Asplund's value isn't reflected by stats as much as it is by his consistent effort. 

In a sport that has an ebb and flow I can't recall any Sabres lapses in this game. The effort was constant.  

The biggest surprise player for me is Okposo. Upon entering this season I thought he would start to decline. He has been our most consistent player throughout this season. 

With good goaltending this team can keep up with any team. 

Great win. I'm hoping that this team can finish on a positive note.  

Everything in here is 123% correct.

• Like (+1) 1

Great game

Always enjoy raking the leaves

Power looked like an NHL regular; eventually he'll get up to speed and start making plays on his own but for now it is perfectly reasonable to just blend in  and subtlety help the team.

Dahlin hates the Leafs as much as we do it seems. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The thing about Dahlin is...he is 21 (think he turns 22 tomorrow?)  D-men usually take a little longer to develop...he might still be getting better and rounding out his complete game for a few years yet.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

I’m looking forward to the “Is Power dumb” and “Power sucks, trade him now” threads next season or the season after that 😂

Seriously …. The kid played well. Tonight. 

Power didn’t have to play for whoever the last few Sabres coaches were. 

Also, it feels like those days of looking for blame might finally be in the past. 

Found it funny how the Laffs broadcast was trying to explain how the Laffs are great against good teams and somehow terrible against “bad” teams. 

1 minute ago, The Ghost of NS said:

Power didn’t have to play for whoever the last few Sabres coaches were. 

Also, it feels like those days of looking for blame might finally be in the past. 

Found it funny how the Laffs broadcast was trying to explain how the Laffs are great against good teams and somehow terrible against “bad” teams. 

Did you see their interview with Power 

question was “what did you think about Matthews?”  🤷‍♂️

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.