Erik Portillo returning to Michigan Per Friedman

Brawndo

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Dude.

So you think the view that Portillo is most likely gone is laughable?  Is it more or less laughable than Roy for Malkin or Eichel is better than McDavid or BB was an idiot for taking Josh Allen or Rossi is better than Quinn?

Can you articulate specifically why you disagree that Portillo is most likely gone?  It will be the Sabres vs the field.  Why do you think the Sabres will get him?

Eichel isn't better than Matthews either. Or maybe even Marner like someone said here a while back. 

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Dude.

If he's forsaking the team that drafted him, I hope he ends up falling back on that business degree.

I'm not wishing him injury or anything.  But I'm not wishing him success outside of Buffalo either.

And if he signs with Buffalo next year at this time, I'm his biggest fan, along with a million other Sabres fans.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Norcal said:

Power mentioned in one of his many interviews that Portillo made his decision a while ago because he wants his business degree. 

I'll back off him I guess.

Maybe he signs next year after all. Maybe not. 

If he "wants his business degree," it will take another 4 years for him to be available.  Does anyone believe he's waiting 4 years to enter the NHL?  Does anyone believe that he's coming out next April to sign with the Sabres and then finishing his degree (that he really wants) in the off-seasons, when he could wait another few months and be an UFA?

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, MBD said:

If he "wants his business degree," it will take another 4 years for him to be available.  Does anyone believe he's waiting 4 years to enter the NHL?  Does anyone believe that he's coming out next April to sign with the Sabres and then finishing his degree (that he really wants) in the off-seasons, when he could wait another few months and be an UFA?

My bad.

School is important to him and his family and he's enrolled at the business school at Michigan.

Either way,  Power says in this video that that played a big role in his decision. 

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video

55 minutes ago, MBD said:

You keep saying this, and in a fairly caustic manner.  Did he say he wants a graduate degree?  UM has a pretty well regarded undergraduate business degree as well.  It’s quite possible this is what he’s targeting to achieve next year, and it’s eminently feasible.

1 hour ago, Norcal said:

My bad.

School is important to him and his family and he's enrolled at the business school at Michigan.

Either way,  Power says in this video that that played a big role in his decision. 

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video

Talk is cheap.  I've heard enough people say one thing and then do the opposite to not trust a single thing anyone says until I see it actually happen.  I go more by what I see and whether it makes sense.  But if next year at this time Portillo signs with the Sabres (right after Levi does, shyeah, right!), I'll admit I was wrong. 

58 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

You keep saying this, and in a fairly caustic manner.  Did he say he wants a graduate degree?  UM has a pretty well regarded undergraduate business degree as well.  It’s quite possible this is what he’s targeting to achieve next year, and it’s eminently feasible.

A BBA (the only thing he can get in 4 years, and he's still got 2 more years to go and will be an UFA in 14 months...) won't get him far.  And all I've heard talk about is him getting his MBA.

Edited by MBD

Interesting to hear Dahlin say he is good friends with Portillo and say “it’s his decision and I’m not going to get into that” when asked about why Portillo didn’t sign.

”He’s a good dude and I’m excited about his future.”

About as vague as anything else we’ve heard, but it’s interesting to know he and Ras are buddies.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Weave said:

If he's forsaking the team that drafted him, I hope he ends up falling back on that business degree.

I'm not wishing him injury or anything.  But I'm not wishing him success outside of Buffalo either.

And if he signs with Buffalo next year at this time, I'm his biggest fan, along with a million other Sabres fans.

A Conditional Curse.  I haven't seen one of those in a while.  Nice.

51 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Interesting to hear Dahlin say he is good friends with Portillo and say “it’s his decision and I’m not going to get into that” when asked about why Portillo didn’t sign.

About as vague as anything else we’ve heard, but it’s interesting to know he and Ras are buddies.

This will blow people's minds:  What if Portillo finishes his degree whatever it is, then decides to play with his buddy Owen and his other buddy Rasmus, as a free agent?  (Just because he gets to free agency doesn't mean he's going to bolt.)

Owen and Rasmus don't seem overly concerned.  Maybe we shouldn't be either.  Maybe we should talk a lesson from these younger guys and don't worry so much.

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

It would be like saying Trump won't be that bad.

I disagree because I think he went back for his degree, Buffalo can still burn an elc year, he knows he can playing time here, by next April this team will have a much different playoff contention feel. 

Please correct me if my understanding of the following is wrong. If Portillo signs with the Sabres after next year's college season ends he signs a three year ELC. if he waits a few more months to sign with another team he only signs a two year ELC. regardless of the direction he chooses he'll be signing his second contract contract the same year. His option will be to forfeit a prorated salery/signing bonus for the option to choose where he wants to live and work. 

Side note. I just looked it up and was surprised to find out that a full one third of the NHL is now made up of NCAA players. That's way more than I was expecting and a lot more than it was twenty years ago.

I wonder if they are going to be forced to change the rules soon.

8 hours ago, MBD said:

A BBA (the only thing he can get in 4 years, and he's still got 2 more years to go and will be an UFA in 14 months...) won't get him far.  And all I've heard talk about is him getting his MBA.

He’ll be 22 in September and, in a few weeks, will have finished 2 academic years at UM.  This time next year it will be 3 academic years.  It’s quite possible he brought transfer credits with him to Michigan from Sweden, or that he’s been taking classes over the summer and will do so this summer and next.

Elon Musk, Steve Ballmer and Steve Jobs didn’t get MBAs.

You could certainly be right that the whole education thing is a pretext, but you keep asserting that it’s impossible, and those assertions are simply wrong.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

Interesting...did not know they were connected.  

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Side note. I just looked it up and was surprised to find out that a full one third of the NHL is now made up of NCAA players. That's way more than I was expecting and a lot more than it was twenty years ago.

I wonder if they are going to be forced to change the rules soon.

I think this will be addressed in the next CBA negotiations.  My guess is they end up with some sort of draft compensation if they lose a player's rights.  It would be interesting if the team that signed a player after his rights expired had to give his draft team one of their picks.  It would lesson the sting for a team losing a player, and motivate a NCAA player to sign with the team that spent draft capital on him. 

In any case, it would be fun to be in the room while they brainstorm what that new rule would look like...

4 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

The NHL is not gonna change the college rules lol 

Well, if the all knowing Oz says so, I guess that’s that.

The rule was made when the NCAA was irrelevant. It isn’t anymore. They are going to have to look into it. The NHL can’t have every arrogant douche go to the Rangers.

Edited by SwampD

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.