Erik Portillo returning to Michigan Per Friedman

Brawndo

4 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Okay, you're right.  On the other hand,

image.png

Ok... but if next year we are left with grab bag of half ass goalies, and another non playoff season, with not much G depth in the physical pipeline, I don't want to hear no complaining, no trashing KA,  because we can't worry about things we can't control. So why complain right ?

I know there is nothing I can do about it, but that doesn't change the fact that it sucks

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MBD said:

That's a crock.  He'll be a junior this year and will still need to finish his senior season of college, before even starting an MBA program.  Will he return to school for his senior season?  If not, why can't he study during the off-season like he would during what would have been his senior season?

Let's say he can do one year of schooling part-time every two years while playing pro.

This way he gets his degree 3 years from now instead of 5.

And yes, he may return for his senior season in order to get it done in 2 years instead of 3.

What about this doesn't make sense?

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Let's say he can do one year of schooling part-time every two years while playing pro.

This way he gets his degree 3 years from now instead of 5.

And yes, he may return for his senior season in order to get it done in 2 years instead of 3.

What about this doesn't make sense?

If he applies himself, he can bang each year out each off-season during the 6 months he's off.  It's not that difficult. 

And if he returns for his senior season, that pushes his availability/development out even further. 

As I said, time to move on, look to trade him and ensure Levi gets into the fold next year. 

He was probably taking undergrad classes while playing in the ushell and fast tracked his business school classes over the past few summers.

You'd be surprised what schools will do to accommodate their star athletes.

• Thanks (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, MBD said:

If he applies himself, he can bang each year out each off-season during the 6 months he's off.  It's not that difficult. 

And if he returns for his senior season, that pushes his availability/development out even further. 

As I said, time to move on, look to trade him and ensure Levi gets into the fold next year. 

College degrees while holding down a regular job are not that difficult?

Professional hockey players are basically on vacation from April to September?

Erik Portillo should plan his life around your priorities?

• Thanks (+1) 2

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Why would a quote from Levi, who has 2 years to go before UFA, affect how anyone feels about losing Portillo?

I think it's insight on how KA and his team are communicating with the prospects and actually trying to help them make a good decision.  I suspect that the Portillo meeting was very similar to the Levi meeting described in the article. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think it's insight on how KA and his team are communicating with the prospects and actually trying to help them make a good decision.  I suspect that the Portillo meeting was very similar to the Levi meeting described in the article. 

One thing about Kevin is that he is a communicator.  I think he made a big mistake with Ullmark; I hope he's learned from it.  I'm sure he's done everything he can to protect Sabres' assets but even he can only do so much.  I can see him taking some heat over the goalie situation until it's resolved, just like he did with the Jack trade.  I also expect his resolution of the goalie situation will be as good as his result from the Jack trade.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

One thing about Kevin is that he is a communicator.  I think he made a big mistake with Ullmark; I hope he's learned from it.  I'm sure he's done everything he can to protect Sabres' assets but even he can only do so much.  I can see him taking some heat over the goalie situation until it's resolved, just like he did with the Jack trade.  I also expect his resolution of the goalie situation will be as good as his result from the Jack trade.

I am an Ullmark fan and wanted him back this year. As I recall, he actually had a winning record last year for a Sabres team that was last in the league.

Having said that, it is my understanding that GMKA had an agreement with Ullmark and his agent, which Ullmark's agent shopped and was able to get more term from the Bruins. Given Ullmark's injury history, the Sabres were apprehensive about extending him that far (four years). 

At the beginning of the season, I heard rumblings that the Bruins were having a bit of buyer's remorse. I am not sure they still do, but it is interesting to note that their other goalie (Swayman) has a better save percentage and goals against average, is 23 years old (v. 28), and is making an annual average of $1,050,000 before he becomes an RFA in 23/24. Ullmark, on the other hand, has a four year $20 million contract. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

I am an Ullmark fan and wanted him back this year. As I recall, he actually had a winning record last year for a Sabres team that was last in the league.

Having said that, it is my understanding that GMKA had an agreement with Ullmark and his agent, which Ullmark's agent shopped and was able to get more term from the Bruins. Given Ullmark's injury history, the Sabres were apprehensive about extending him that far (four years). 

At the beginning of the season, I heard rumblings that the Bruins were having a bit of buyer's remorse. I am not sure they still do, but it is interesting to note that their other goalie (Swayman) has a better save percentage and goals against average, is 23 years old (v. 28), and is making an annual average of $1,050,000 before he becomes an RFA in 23/24. Ullmark, on the other hand, has a four year $20 million contract. 

The mistake Kevyn made was not moving Ullmark and getting something for him.  Not trying to match the Bruins deal was the right thing to do.

• Like (+1) 2

I get to live the life I want because I stayed in school, when I had opportunities to leave and chase other aspirations. 

Sure, I Was never going to be an NHL player, but that wasn't my life goal, Portillo wants to get a business degree. And will almost assuredly become a pro goalie (barring any misfortunes) irregardless of if he stays or goes this year. 

A lot of anger and worry here from people of all ages that think someone should follow a path that THEY have predetermined. 

Let the kid enjoy college, hell, as soon as life starts, you can't recreate the college days, even though some people my age try to do. Another go around with his teammates, another shot at a title that slipped away. 

🍻🍺🍹🍸🍷🍾

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 4/9/2022 at 3:20 PM, thewookie1 said:

I'm honestly surprised with how wide open the goaltending position is here why he would just come here. But if he decides he doesn't want to be a Sabre than he may as well just blow out his knee.....  It's this reason I can't stand college players and their BS

Maybe he looks at UPL and Levi and wonders if he is going to be the odd man out with the young goalies?

On 4/9/2022 at 4:05 PM, Sabel79 said:

I'm kinda leery of tossing more kids to the wolves too soon.  A quality vet (or two depending on how things shake out) was always going to be required.  IMHO

You mean like 62 year old Craig Anderson? This team needs a real goaltender whether young or a vet. Anderson is a useless geriatric!!

Edited by Claude Balls

Just now, Claude Balls said:

You mean like 62 year old Craig Anderson? This team needs a real goaltender whether young or a vet. Anderson is a useless geriatric!!

No, but if you'd like to argue about any of the limitless number of other things I haven't said... I'm not interested.

42 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I get to live the life I want because I stayed in school, when I had opportunities to leave and chase other aspirations. 

Sure, I Was never going to be an NHL player, but that wasn't my life goal, Portillo wants to get a business degree. And will almost assuredly become a pro goalie (barring any misfortunes) irregardless of if he stays or goes this year. 

A lot of anger and worry here from people of all ages that think someone should follow a path that THEY have predetermined. 

Let the kid enjoy college, hell, as soon as life starts, you can't recreate the college days, even though some people my age try to do. Another go around with his teammates, another shot at a title that slipped away. 

🍻🍺🍹🍸🍷🍾

Agreed, but we also don't know if he is actually trying to avoid the Sabres. Something only he knows.

1 minute ago, Claude Balls said:

Agreed, but we also don't know if he is actually trying to avoid the Sabres. Something only he knows.

If that's the way he is thinking, then I don't want him being the Sabres goaltender. 

If we weren't a tire fire for a decade + we wouldn't have to worry about this issue. But alas, we are. I still think he'll sign here, but it's withing the rules for him not to, those are the odds you play as a GM. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

College degrees while holding down a regular job are not that difficult?

Professional hockey players are basically on vacation from April to September?

Erik Portillo should plan his life around your priorities?

OK then, so he stays in school another year and signs with an NHL team.  What then?  He's still got another year of undergrad and 2 years of MBA.   When's he going to tackle it if it's so difficult to do as a pro?

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Curt said:

That wasn’t a choice available.  The rules are that you could protect 1 goalie and 3 defensemen.  So, it was never a choice between Ullmark and Borgen.

You could. Doesn’t mean you had to. We could left all goalies exposed. 

Edited by kas23

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.