Erik Portillo returning to Michigan Per Friedman

Brawndo

58 minutes ago, Digger said:

Don't worry I read somewhere that Kevin Adams said there was no downside to Portillo returning to school for another year.  😏

I’m starting to think that wasn’t a message aimed at Portillo or Johnson, it was a message to the fans. 

15 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Bummer.

I think they have to trade him now, innit?  He’s probably not going to sign here next summer.

I agree with those who have said that they can now feel a bit freer to sign a goalie for 3 or 4 years.  

They don't have to worry about blocking a prospect when there aren't any prospects to block.

• Like (+1) 1

How many of those 7 first round picks from Michigan are leaving to turn pro? Because if it’s a mass exodus, I doubt the Wolverines are making it back to the Frozen Four next year. Enjoy the college life experience Erik, because you won’t be returning to school and winning a championship. But hey, if the degree is important to you, more power to ya. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I’m starting to think that wasn’t a message aimed at Portillo or Johnson, it was a message to the fans. 

Good point, yes I agree that may be the case just prepping the Sabre fan base to not panic (apparently the message didn't take).  

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

How many of those 7 first round picks from Michigan are leaving to turn pro? Because if it’s a mass exodus, I doubt the Wolverines are making it back to the Frozen Four next year. Enjoy the college life experience Erik, because you won’t be returning to school and winning a championship. But hey, if the degree is important to you, more power to ya. 

Actually, less Power for ya. 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, klos1963 said:

God forbid someone goes to college and plans his career path on how he would prefer it to go.

If they closed the ridiculous loophole that allows them to leave it would be a different story. If you are drafted into the NHL, your rights should stay with that team in perpetuity if no ELC is signed. If you are undrafted that’s different but a drafted player should under no circumstance be able to escape their draft team’s rights

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

If they closed the ridiculous loophole that allows them to leave it would be a different story. If you are drafted into the NHL, your rights should stay with that team in perpetuity if no ELC is signed. If you are undrafted that’s different but a drafted player should under no circumstance be able to escape their draft team’s rights

No Way Do Not Want GIF

6 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Thats a little crazy talk imo .

They have to fix the CHl , Overeas beacuse of that 

3 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

If I remember correctly, if drafted from any other league, you hold the players rights for 2 years after their draft. They then re-enter the draft if under 20 or become an UFA if 20 or over. So, the NCAA rule isn’t so outrageous. 

• Like (+1) 1

This is kind of a bummer, but it’s really difficult to evaluate the situation from the outside.

Has Portillo sincerely expressed his desire to sign with the Sabres but just really wants another year in college?

Has Portillo been kind of lukewarm and noncommittal about signing with Buffalo?

How much do the Sabres like Portillo?  Are they considering him as a likely future starter or do they see him as a trade chip?

There is a lot that we don’t know.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Portillo traded as part of a package to fill a roster hole.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

If I remember correctly, if drafted from any other league, you hold the players rights for 2 years after their draft. They then re-enter the draft if under 20 or become an UFA if 20 or over. So, the NCAA rule isn’t so outrageous. 

The difference is that a team can’t sign a player and leave them in college. They can sign and leave a player in any of the leagues.

3 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

First Levi, now Portillo? This NCAA may not be for us but we still have their rights for 2 more seasons.

Two for Levi and only One for Portillo.

CapFriendly isn’t correct, Elliotte Freeman did some investigating and discovered since He was drafted in 2019, He can leave School after the 2022-23 Season and be a UFA in Summer of 2023

3 hours ago, klos1963 said:

Are you just here to ask stupid questions?

Do you have to answer every question with a question?

😉

3 hours ago, Digger said:

Don't worry I read somewhere that Kevin Adams said there was no downside to Portillo returning to school for another year.  😏

That's simply him spinning something he has no control over.

3 hours ago, Norcal said:

He may have been put off by what he was hearing from the team? 

Maybe it had nothing to do with the team and everything to do with his educational goals?

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Two for Levi and only One for Portillo.

CapFriendly isn’t correct, Elliotte Freeman did some investigating and discovered since He was drafted in 2019, He can leave School after the 2022-23 Season and be a UFA in Summer of 2023

Yikes, almost definitely will be dealt then which is very unfortunate. I'm not a fan at all of the NCAA rules.

6 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Do you have to answer every question with a question?

😉

That's simply him spinning something he has no control over.

Maybe it had nothing to do with the team and everything to do with his educational goals?

Yeah but I'm having fun speculating 😝

2 hours ago, Norcal said:

He's not a free agent yet.

A team could seek permission to see if he is interested in signing with them and if so a deal could be consummated. 

possibly, but i guess that would be like trading a player with a NMC, lowers our leverage to about zero.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

This is kind of a bummer, but it’s really difficult to evaluate the situation from the outside.

Has Portillo sincerely expressed his desire to sign with the Sabres but just really wants another year in college?

Has Portillo been kind of lukewarm and noncommittal about signing with Buffalo?

How much do the Sabres like Portillo?  Are they considering him as a likely future starter or do they see him as a trade chip?

There is a lot that we don’t know.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Portillo traded as part of a package to fill a roster hole.

200.gif Talking Heads GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre david byrne dancing GIF

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.