Would You Consider Trading the Sabres First Round Pick and a Prospect for Connor Hellebuyck?

Brawndo

Just now, kas23 said:

Nope. I’ll roll my dice with UPL, Levi, or Portillo working out. This trade wouldn’t be a good example of asset allocation.

It really depends on how close management feels the team is from being competitive.  Get Saros for example, who is only 26 and you have elite goaltending for the next 8-10 years.  If management thinks the team is ready to be a playoff contender as early as next year, getting a proven goaltender is the highest off-season priority we have.

Also we may end up drafting as low at 11 depending on the how the lottery goes.  Will that player really help us in the next 2-3 years?  Depending on the offer, I'd certainly listen to a deal involving a real starter for UPL and either our 1st or LV's first.

• Like (+1) 2

No. Absolutely not. 

I think the train is on the tracks and moving forward and I think we stay the course. We have 3 solid goaltending prospects already. Impatience is the only thing that can ruin this change. 

I'm all for bringing in a mid value veteran to increase depth and support UPL etc. for next year but nothing overly costly.

• Like (+1) 3

I think @Brawndo is right that you can't give up real assets for a guy who's 2 years away from UFA.

Having said that, it seems pretty likely that the Sabres' pick will end up being #10 or #11 or so (as someone will probably get lucky in the lottery and jump in front of them).  In theory I could see trading that pick for the right goaltender. 

I do that all day. Three prospects are but the likelihood is that one turns into a Ryan Miller, one into a Martin Biron and one into Mika Noronnen. 
If the cap really isn’t skyrocketing till 2025/2026, Buffalo will be one of few teams that will be able to pay if said goalie id worth the extension 

• Like (+1) 2

Hell no. You can find good goaltending for relatively low cost. Certainly no need to trade a 1st and a prospect for it.

Remember how the Sabre goalies when we attempted to tank for Eichel with no talent on the team kept trying to ruin our tank job by playing really well?

The Vegas pick probably, the Sabres pick..... Not likely, that pick could land us in the top 2 with luck and most likely top 8. That's a premium pick and we still need depth at forward as we move along. And a 1A GK is not going to come cheap in a trade nomatter2003 says.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'd make that deal right now.

But I doubt Winnipeg would.

30 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Hell no. You can find good goaltending for relatively low cost. Certainly no need to trade a 1st and a prospect for it.

Remember how the Sabre goalies when we attempted to tank for Eichel with no talent on the team kept trying to ruin our tank job by playing really well?

Where?

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It really depends on how close management feels the team is from being competitive.  Get Saros for example, who is only 26 and you have elite goaltending for the next 8-10 years.  If management thinks the team is ready to be a playoff contender as early as next year, getting a proven goaltender is the highest off-season priority we have.

Also we may end up drafting as low at 11 depending on the how the lottery goes.  Will that player really help us in the next 2-3 years?  Depending on the offer, I'd certainly listen to a deal involving a real starter for UPL and either our 1st or LV's first.

I would make the described deal in a heartbeat if it were for Hellebuyck or Saros. When you tabulate the exchange you are only giving up a first round pick and exchanging a goalie prospect for an established high end goalie. After that transaction the organization will still have two high end goalie prospects in the system. What would ease the loss of our higher first round pick is that the Sabres would still have two more picks in the first round. And the wider context is that Power, Quinn and JJ should be ready to play next year and invigorate the roster even more. 

Most people would agree that the team is on an upward trajectory. It's indisputable that top tier goalies are difference makers and can make up for other deficiencies. If you have an opportunity to quicken the pace of the rebuild without deviating very much from the rebuild strategy, why not seize the opportunity?

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

No.  He is only under contract for 2 years, and he doesn’t want to be here.

How do you know he won't want to come here?  He is an American kid from Michigan who played college at U Mass Lowell.  Who wants to be in Wpg?  I don't see them on a upward trajectory.  (Maybe I just don't like the ex-Thrashers).

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How do you know he won't want to come here?  He is an American kid from Michigan who played college at U Mass Lowell.  Who wants to be in Wpg?  I don't see them on a upward trajectory.  (Maybe I just don't like the ex-Thrashers).

Joking.  The old “wants to be here” meme

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Gotcha.  Not wanting to be here is very triggering 

Was serious about the No though.  2 years of team control isn’t enough for a ~8-10 OA pick and a good prospect.

Sabres are going to win a lottery spot anyway!  So it will be moot.

Adding a Hellebuyck-level goalie to this squad instantly takes them to an 88-point team next season. Even so, I wouldn’t deal a top-10 pick for him. The kids and the kid goalies are coming. A regular NHL caliber starter in the off-season probably gets the Sabres to 80-point pace, with UPL as the backup understudy. 

Don't rush things now. Use that  top-10 for the RHD or scoring threat cornerstone for the next 10 years. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.