Devon Levi watch, update: he's returning to college

LGR4GM

7 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Well, Levi staying in college and Portillo turning pro would be a bit of a curveball, innit?  But I agree it’s not a bad outcome.  All the more reason to sign a credible vet to be the #1.  

Why would that be a curveball?  Portillo is a year older.  If he wins the NCAA championship, what more would have to accomplish in college?  This was the most likely scenario since the start; the second most likely scenario in my mind is both of them signing.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m fine with this. Let’s not get impatient. If Portillo doesn’t sign, then it’s time to panic.

On the other hand, one has to wonder if Levi is afraid of the competition. If he sits back and sees UPL and Portillo blowing it up, doubt he signs then. If he signs now, it’s let the best man win. 

13 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I’m fine with this. Let’s not get impatient. If Portillo doesn’t sign, then it’s time to panic.

On the other hand, one has to wonder if Levi is afraid of the competition. If he sits back and sees UPL and Portillo blowing it up, doubt he signs then. If he signs now, it’s let the best man win. 

I can confidently say that Levi is not afraid of competition.  In fact, he thrives on it.

He's most likely irked at the way the season ended and wants to have one more go around with his buddies.

The NHL will always be there for him, no need to rush.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I can confidently say that Levi is not afraid of competition.  In fact, he thrives on it.

He's most likely irked at the way the season ended and wants to have one more go around with his buddies.

The NHL will always be there for him, no need to rush.

He has to know exactly what that will cost him and is waiting and talking with teammates to see if they are in on one more go for the championship.

I would never disapprove of a moral conviction over monetary gain. Seems rather noble in the world of big money sports. 

It's almost as if he could be a team first type guy, terrible....

KAs has found the perfect goalie. The irony.

16 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Sounds like some answers are coming tomorrow.

Hasn’t made a decision yet. 

Spoke with Adams yesterday and His Coaches at Northeastern the past week. 

Pros and Cons to either choice. 

The Watch continues 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

19m
Devon Levi on
@2goalies1mic
“I would love to get my career started in Buffalo. It’s such a great spot. I’m so happy I got traded there” after being asked about his plans for next season. Levi will make that decision in the coming days.

• Like (+1) 1

I listened to the interview with Levi.

-it wasn’t just Levi, it was also his best friend who also plays at NE. They have played together since they were 5 or 6.

-he doesn’t think size is an issue as a goalie if you are disciplined in your fundamentals.

-looks to Saros in Nashville as an example

-enjoyed his time at the Olympics. Picked brains of other Olympians as to how they got to be the best in their field

-become quick buddies with Power over there.

-seems to really have his head on his shoulders

I wouldn’t be surprised if he heads back for one more year to play with his friend, play in the BeanPot and try to win in the Frozen Four. Going back won’t be an issue development wise. He will be getting a ton of shots and play every game.

Sounds like he is enthused about playing for Buffalo.

It wasn’t mentioned but he has a lot of connections there now. Cozens, Krebs, Quinn from WJCs and Power from Olympics.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I listened to the interview with Levi.

-it wasn’t just Levi, it was also his best friend who also plays at NE. They have played together since they were 5 or 6.

-he doesn’t think size is an issue as a goalie if you are disciplined in your fundamentals.

-looks to Saros in Nashville as an example

-enjoyed his time at the Olympics. Picked brains of other Olympians as to how they got to be the best in their field

-become quick buddies with Power over there.

-seems to really have his head on his shoulders

I wouldn’t be surprised if he heads back for one more year to play with his friend, play in the BeanPot and try to win in the Frozen Four. Going back won’t be an issue development wise. He will be getting a ton of shots and play every game.

Sounds like he is enthused about playing for Buffalo.

It wasn’t mentioned but he has a lot of connections there now. Cozens, Krebs, Quinn from WJCs and Power from Olympics.

I specifically liked How he mentioned that Saros has the most shots hit him in the chest out of all NHL Goalies, as he has honed His Positioning well. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I specifically liked How he mentioned that Saros has the most shots hit him in the chest out of all NHL Goalies, as he has honed His Positioning well. 

Yeah, you can tell he is very driven and dedicated to his craft. He isn’t one of the best young goalies because of god given ability. He is there because he has studied and grinded to get there.

I understand why people are pretty pessimistic, being Buffalo and all, but I don't think the Sabres will have an issue signing either Levi or Portillo.

Levi is a UFA in July of 2024. That means two more seasons of NCAA hockey before he's able to sign with a different team. There's a huge opportunity cost to waiting those two years and he has to be aware of that. His agent, friends and family are all going to be telling him the same thing. He's also friends with a bunch of the young guys in Buffalo already who are (presumably) telling him to sign. It's a difficult decision for someone who is competitive to walk away without winning a championship, especially when your season ended as disappointingly as his did. He's only 20 years old. I don't blame him for wanting to give it another run. It's also a good sign that he has the attitude we all want in players. Also, as said above, the guy went on a Sabres' fans podcast. That's a good sign he wants to be in Buffalo as he would have nothing to gain from it otherwise.

Portillo is a UFA in July of 2023, but the Michigan hockey team is going to be gutted by players turning pro this offseason and Portillo has to be aware of that. UMich hockey is very much in a "win now" scenario. I can't imagine he goes back there when it's almost guaranteed his numbers will be worse going into the free agency and the team has a moonshot at a championship.  He has a real opportunity to get time in the AHL next season if he signs now. I'm sure he's aware of that.

• Like (+1) 6

12 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

I understand why people are pretty pessimistic, being Buffalo and all, but I don't think the Sabres will have an issue signing either Levi or Portillo.

Levi is a UFA in July of 2024. That means two more seasons of NCAA hockey before he's able to sign with a different team. There's a huge opportunity cost to waiting those two years and he has to be aware of that. His agent, friends and family are all going to be telling him the same thing. He's also friends with a bunch of the young guys in Buffalo already who are (presumably) telling him to sign. It's a difficult decision for someone who is competitive to walk away without winning a championship, especially when your season ended as disappointingly as his did. He's only 20 years old. I don't blame him for wanting to give it another run. It's also a good sign that he has the attitude we all want in players. Also, as said above, the guy went on a Sabres' fans podcast. That's a good sign he wants to be in Buffalo as he would have nothing to gain from it otherwise.

Portillo is a UFA in July of 2023, but the Michigan hockey team is going to be gutted by players turning pro this offseason and Portillo has to be aware of that. UMich hockey is very much in a "win now" scenario. I can't imagine he goes back there when it's almost guaranteed his numbers will be worse going into the free agency and the team has a moonshot at a championship.  He has a real opportunity to get time in the AHL next season if he signs now. I'm sure he's aware of that.

Welcome to the forum.

I agree on most of your points but I am still hoping Levi signs. Even if he matches or exceeds his past season they will be hard pressed to win a championship. Northeastern rode his coattails to get as far as they did. He may win the Hobey Baker if he repeats those numbers, so maybe that is a goal.

Because of his dedication to Hockey Canada and getting no ice at the Olympics perhaps they should bring him to the World Championships. That would be good for his development.

I think Portillo signs because Michigan is all in this year and will likely lose many core players.

• Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Levi is returning to Northeastern 

All in all, this may be the best scenario for the Sabres’ flexibility considering Portillo. It would be difficult to pencil both of them in at Rochester and it’s unlikely either would make the Sabres’ roster.

I’m really excited to see him at the next level and don’t think he has much room for growth in the NCAA but we’ll have quite a few shiny new toys next season to distract us. Hopefully he doesn’t suffer any setbacks and finds what he’s looking for!

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

I honestly don't understand why hes going back unless hes trying to get to free agency.

What else does he have to accomplish hes not going to repeat what he did last year 

Uh he didn’t win anything this year. His best friend he has played with since they were 5 is playing at NE. He never got to play in the Beanpot tournament.

The season ended on his giveaway.

His motivations maybe more then just making Sabres fans happy.

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Uh he didn’t win anything this year. His best friend he has played with since they were 5 is playing at NE. He never got to play in the Beanpot tournament.

The season ended on his giveaway.

His motivations maybe more then just making Sabres fans happy.

All this is doing is stalling his development hes way past the college level .

What he did hasn't been done in  college goalie history .

Hope im wrong but his team sucks and  I see no possibility of him repeating the season he just had

i thought I detected something from Adams in his no comment to Marek this morning.

Disappointing, but organizationally it works to sign Portillo this year and Devon next.

Unfortunate we will have to listen to the Chicken Littles bleat another year about him bolting.

• Like (+1) 3