Which top 9 forward will be moved in off season

sweetlou

I do believe a top 9 forward will be moved for a veteran defenseman or goalie.  I would go the route of defenseman and sign a couple vet goalies to short term deals again.  As long as they are good and not hopefuls.

TT- taken over #1 center. Will not be moved. Even though he has one more year on contract I hope KA extends him for 5 more years at $4.5- $5 million AAV. (4,4.5, 5, 5, 5.5).

Tuch- future captain, signed to a team friendly contract.

Skinner- having a great bounce back year. He is able to play his game, and has improved some in the defensive zone.  Won't be moved because of contract.

Krebs- still learning the defensive side of the game but has great vision.  Still has two years left on entry level deal.

Cozens- heart of the new kids.  Plays with passion.  Reminds me of Cirelli from Tampa.  One year left on entry level deal.

Quinn- after tearing it up in AHL, he will be in top 9 going forward.  Has 2 years left on entry level deal.

Most likely to be moved-

Mitts- still not sold on his overall game. He seems to have picked up his physical game this year.  He is signed for 2 more years and a relatively good cap hit of $2.5 million.

Olofsson- With the additions of Tuch, and Krebs, and with Quinn pushing to get in lineup I feel he is the most expendable.  Teams with cap space like Anaheim, Columbus, Seattle and Arizona may look for him to help with their top 6. Contract will be around $4million AAV.

Girgs, Okposo, Asplund, or UFA fill out your 4th line.

Let's discuss.

Edited by sweetlou

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't think they'll trade Mittelstadt. 

Now (the off-season really) would be the worst time to trade him ever.  His value is near zero.  They have to let him get up to speed before doing anything.  I think he’ll follow along Tage’s trajectory and have a breakout season when he actually gets healthy and not constantly battling back from injury. I’m setting next season as that starting point.  He’s just had no consistency around him for any period of time. Next season Meatballs will work on getting him regular linemates with a defined role. 

• Like (+1) 5

13 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Skinner, Thompson, Tuch

Wood/Marchment, Mitts, Quinn

Krebs, Cozens, Vinnie/Okposo

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch

Asplund/Hinostroza - Mitts - Quinn

Krebs - Cozens - Okposo/Olofsson

Hinostroza - Zemgus - someone else

JJ Peterka is the wildcard but he might need another AHL year or half year.

You can bring back both Olofsson and Hinostroza but one of them ends up as a depth piece because of Peterka and Quinn IMPO. Quinn will most likely win a job in camp but JJ might take a month or two. 

This is a great problem to have. Guys like Olofsson and Hinostroza being on the 3rd and 4th line is how you actually make the playoffs.

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Oloffson goes. Eakin goes.

Quinn and Peterka replace 

Hinostroza comes back as extra/competition for the two new rookies

Our veteran UFA splash is a defenseman partner for Power

Potential to sign a veteran UFA splash to push down one of those rookies, but I’m not holding my breath  

why do we need 10 off-season plan threads?

Edited by triumph_communes

I don’t see Mitts moving unless another very solid C is coming back in trade.   We need a face off winning, two way center, that can shut down another teams top line.  More like a Don Luce or a Mike Peca - we need someone in this role that makes Cody Eakin expendable.  

Olofsson could be moved since we have promising young wingers in the AHL pipeline that are coming up.  Typically, you have to give up something to get something back. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Now (the off-season really) would be the worst time to trade him ever.  His value is near zero.  They have to let him get up to speed before doing anything.  I think he’ll follow along Tage’s trajectory and have a breakout season when he actually gets healthy and not constantly battling back from injury. I’m setting next season as that starting point.  He’s just had no consistency around him for any period of time. Next season Meatballs will work on getting him regular linemates with a defined role. 

I thought he showed signs he's starting to come around even prior to the Vancouver game. He's finally caught up to the play again.

30 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Maybe someone smarter than me can explain the value Asplund brings, especially in a top 6 role?

He pretty invisible out there.

One of the reasons you tend not to notice him much is because he doesn't make many mistakes. Wish he would make more plays. but he is positionally sound and works his ass off.

1 hour ago, sweetlou said:

I do believe a top 9 forward will be moved for a veteran defenseman or goalie. 

Given this is total speculation, I'm not sure if many people want to invest a lot of energy discussing something that may or may not happen. 

On a related note, I don't want to see any more JAG 4th lines. I want my 4th line to be a legit threat to score. I'd easily sacrifice a Hayden for an Asplund or some other player that could put up 10 or more a season. So, on that note, draft and development your RHD or go the FA route, but don't sacrifice scoring depth.

Edited by JoeSchmoe
  • Like (+1) 1

They aren't moving Cozens, Krebs, or Mitts because they are invested in them, they've yet to show their ceilings and why sell low?

They aren't moving Tuch or Thompson because they are their best forwards on great contracts.

They aren't moving Girgs and Okie without an overpay because culture.

They aren't moving Skinner because they can't.

They'd probably be open to moving Asplund as part of a package, but he's coachable and cheap in the bottom 6 and doesn't have great value otherwise.

They only guy they would move is Victor because of his contract situation, the fact he probably has decent value on the market and because Jack Quinn (and, to a lesser extent, JJ Peterka) make him redundant.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

You can bring back both Olofsson and Hinostroza but one of them ends up as a depth piece because of Peterka and Quinn IMPO. Quinn will most likely win a job in camp but JJ might take a month or two. 

This is a great problem to have. Guys like Olofsson and Hinostroza being on the 3rd and 4th line is how you actually make the playoffs.

No, getting guys who are tough to play against is how you make the playoffs.  The Sabres have been too soft and easy to play against hence why they have been getting steam rolled for the past 5 years and haven't even sniffed the playoffs!!

45 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

No, getting guys who are tough to play against is how you make the playoffs.  The Sabres have been too soft and easy to play against hence why they have been getting steam rolled for the past 5 years and haven't even sniffed the playoffs!!

This team is starting to get hard boiled.

Cozens is not taking s**t from anyone and Dahlin is finding his inner beast. Mule and Fitz don’t back away from a battle. OKie and Girgs have some grit. Tuch and TT don’t look for trouble but have the size to not shy away. Krebs, Skinner, Asplund and Hinestroza are small but stick their noses in and stir up the other team.

This isn’t the bash brothers but they are playing harder and more importantly, for each other.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, sweetlou said:

I do believe a top 9 forward will be moved for a veteran defenseman or goalie.  I would go the route of defenseman and sign a couple vet goalies to short term deals again.  As long as they are good and not hopefuls.

TT- taken over #1 center. Will not be moved. Even though he has one more year on contract I hope KA extends him for 5 more years at $4.5- $5 million AAV. (4,4.5, 5, 5, 5.5).

Tuch- future captain, signed to a team friendly contract.

Skinner- having a great bounce back year. He is able to play his game, and has improved some in the defensive zone.  Won't be moved because of contract.

Krebs- still learning the defensive side of the game but has great vision.  Still has two years left on entry level deal.

Cozens- heart of the new kids.  Plays with passion.  Reminds me of Cirelli from Tampa.  One year left on entry level deal.

Quinn- after tearing it up in AHL, he will be in top 9 going forward.  Has 2 years left on entry level deal.

Most likely to be moved-

Mitts- still not sold on his overall game. He seems to have picked up his physical game this year.  He is signed for 2 more years and a relatively good cap hit of $2.5 million.

Olofsson- With the additions of Tuch, and Krebs, and with Quinn pushing to get in lineup I feel he is the most expendable.  Teams with cap space like Anaheim, Columbus, Seattle and Arizona may look for him to help with their top 6. Contract will be around $4million AAV.

Girgs, Okposo, Asplund, or UFA fill out your 4th line.

Let's discuss.

Mittelstadt is the one for me to move.  He just doesn't have the game speed to keep up with his skill.  He reminds me of the situation that Sam Steel is in, but a touch younger.

Just now, Rasmus_ said:

Mittelstadt is the one for me to move.  He just doesn't have the game speed to keep up with his skill.  He reminds me of the situation that Sam Steel is in, but a touch younger.

I disagree... that goal the other night showed speed... plus great hands... he looks in better shape... more muscle finally and much harder on the puck... does he have a way to go sure... but I think he is getting there and Krebs is pushing him... Oloffson imo may be the odd man out... still dont think any of these guys will be let go next year though if for no other reason the Sabres even with Quinn and possibly Peterka stepping up still dont have enough depth and not sure the return would be worth it

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Given this is total speculation, I'm not sure if many people want to invest a lot of energy discussing something that may or may not happen. 

On a related note, I don't want to see any more JAG 4th lines. I want my 4th line to be a legit threat to score. I'd easily sacrifice a Hayden for an Asplund or some other player that could put up 10 or more a season. So, on that note, draft and development your RHD or go the FA route, but don't sacrifice scoring depth.

I just feel like he's been surpassed at this point.  He's also started to build up the "injury bug" vibe.  I don't dislike the player, I just feel like he's not ahead of Cozens or Krebs.  His game really isn't suited to a shut down role.  I think he's going to potentially be passed again depending on the talent brought in via the draft and UFA.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.