What draft pick will the Sabres get from Vegas?

SDS

What draft pick will the Sabres get from Vegas?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What draft pick will the Sabres get from Vegas?

• 2023 (protected pick)
    • 17+ (Vegas makes playoffs)

3 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Not impossible. You can only move up 10 spots. So the 14th team could win and move up to 4th. It would still bump everyone down meaning Vegas would be 11th.

It’s almost impossible for Vegas to get to number 10. It would be a miracle for them to just get to 12. a free fall gets only them to 13.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Not impossible. You can only move up 10 spots. So the 14th team could win and move up to 4th. It would still bump everyone down meaning Vegas would be 11th.

Just looked at the standings. It's 11 points to the #10 pick. VGK at #16. 16 games left to play. You're right. Tough but not un-possible.

Sabres are 20 points behind VGK with 3 games in hand. 😁

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

It’s almost impossible for Vegas to get to number 10. It would be a miracle for them to just get to 12. a free fall gets only them to 13.

Yes you are right, sorry I misinterpreted what you guys were talking about.

Any  pick from 12-16 is a major win for Buffalo and adds even more to the deal. I really expected to be picking 27-32 with both Vegas and Florida’s picks.

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Jack’s team falling off of a cliff, Sam’s team leading the league. Coincidence?

No.  Sam is on a better team.  Better goaltending and better players.  

Plus, Vegas suffering from injuries and the Eichel effect. 

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, SDS said:

They're going to get to 15 and then win the lottery to get to 10.

So I was curious about Florida's pick and I checked the NHL's website on the draft order rules.  Bottom line is that assuming FLA wins our division -- and they are currently 6 pts ahead of TB, with both teams having played 62 games -- their pick will be no better than 29.  If they make it to the finals, their pick will be 31 or 32.

The Sabres are currently 7th-worst in the NHL with 19 games to play.  They are 1 pt behind Chicago, with both teams having played 63 games.  The Sabres are 7 pts behind Detroit, who have also played 63 games.  I'd guess the Sabres will probably pass Chicago and end up 8th-worst.

So, if someone jumps ahead of the Sabres in the lottery, Vegas continues to crap the bed and Florida does not make it to the Finals, we're looking at something like #9, #15 and #30. 

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

Jack’s team falling off of a cliff, Sam’s team leading the league. Coincidence?

Nah. Sam was always a beta player. He’s a great complimentary piece and is smart enough to make the best look better, but isn’t the one to pull any team out of a ditch.  Sam in Vegas doesn’t move their needle they have serious depth problems after trading Tuch away they are in denial about. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

Nah. Sam was always a beta player. He’s a great complimentary piece and is smart enough to make the best look better, but isn’t the one to pull any team out of a ditch.  Sam in Vegas doesn’t move their needle they have serious depth problems after trading Tuch away they are in denial about. 

Sam made a good team better. Florida was a rising power, got their goaltending back and added some good pieces.

Vegas peaked their first two years, sold the future to stay near the top and lost a good piece in Tuch. They have been hit hard by injuries but it has actually helped them avoid cap hell, which their management put them into. They will have to move some talent and futures next year in order to get under the cap so I am doubtful about their future. They are not the only team to have some injuries.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/16/2022 at 8:49 AM, SDS said:

Four points behind Minnesota. Dallas has four games in hand to make up one point. Vancouver and Winnipeg have one game in hand to make up one or two points. Vegas in freefall after playing a slew of non-playoff teams and now they have a stretch against much better teams.

They are 17th now, but could drop down to 14 without playing another game.

451CCF04-D485-4E20-8C3B-08F804FD0048.jpeg

Well at least there is a playoff race in the Western Conference...East has been playing for seeding only the last month and a half.

Edited by matter2003

On 3/23/2022 at 12:41 PM, French Collection said:

Sam made a good team better. Florida was a rising power, got their goaltending back and added some good pieces.

Vegas peaked their first two years, sold the future to stay near the top and lost a good piece in Tuch. They have been hit hard by injuries but it has actually helped them avoid cap hell, which their management put them into. They will have to move some talent and futures next year in order to get under the cap so I am doubtful about their future. They are not the only team to have some injuries.

Vegas is dumb. Dadanov signing made no sense. Trading for Pacioretty trade was odd to say the least (they just didn't need another winger at that price point and that age). The Fleury situation is laughably stupid. Their prospect pool was okay after what they did at the expansion draft but woof since then they have gutted it. They probably have 4-5 NHL impact prospects Dean, Dorofeyev, Korkzak, Chayka, and Brisson all have nhl potential but after that it starts to get dicey and as a Sabres fan, I know not all these will hit. Idk how they make their cap work without trading at least 2 if not 3 guys this offseason. Vegas has no blue chip goalie prospect anywhere to be found. 

I think they stay in the playoff conversation for the next couple years because Stone and Eichel are very good. I think if they keep chasing names instead of building a team they aren't going to magically catch lightning in a bottle again. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.