What draft pick will the Sabres get from Vegas?

SDS

What draft pick will the Sabres get from Vegas?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What draft pick will the Sabres get from Vegas?

• 2023 (protected pick)
    • 17+ (Vegas makes playoffs)

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

So far, pick number 15 is the runaway sentiment here. In order for that to happen, Vegas will need to stabilize ASAP. 

I think Anaheim probably sells a bit at the deadline (they already started) because they know they need more. They don't overtake Vegas in this case. 

I think Dallas can and will overtake Vegas due to games in hand and having solid goaltending. One of either Vancouver or Winnipeg will be good enough to push vegas down another spot but the other one will probably stumble as well. I think Winnipeg probably has a good chance if they can add just a bit at the deadline so Vegas slides to 15 in my mind. Columbus isn't good enough and is too far behind. 

I just don't see Vegas having a 10 game losing streak and that is probably what you need to get them to 14 or lower. It could happen and let's hope it does. 

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I just don't see Vegas having a 10 game losing streak and that is probably what you need to get them to 14 or lower. It could happen and let's hope it does. 

I’m not sure if it’s going to be a round 10, but they’re at five and they have a tough stretch coming up. I think they’re gonna get close to that 10. After that blood will be in the water and they will be in and irrecoverable tailspin. 

9 hours ago, nfreeman said:

They’ve now lost 5 straight, and they just put Lehner on IR.  Their next 5 are home vs FLA, home vs Kings, at Minny, at Winny and home vs Nashville.  They could easily lose 4 of those.

They’ve hitched their wagon to Eichel and Lehner.  What could go wrong?

I wouldn’t be shocked if they have decided to tank the rest of the season. Start over next year with a fresh set of legs. 

1 minute ago, kas23 said:

A top 10 pick for a team completely depleted of prospects. Give Eichel another off-season to acclimate and then add Stone to the mix. They’ll likely be much better next season. 

They are 11 points better than the 10th team right now. They have 20 games to play. Getting their would require extraordinary effort.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, SDS said:

They are 11 points better than the 10th team right now. They have 20 games to play. Getting their would require extraordinary effort.

They don’t need to be included in the 10th worst teams to have a top 10 pick. Lottery is for the top 16th worst teams and they are currently sitting right on the line (15th) of being in the Lottery versus not. All I’m saying is I can see them dropping off to be included in the Lottery, which is a very real possibility. 

25 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I wouldn’t be shocked if they have decided to tank the rest of the season. Start over next year with a fresh set of legs. 

Doubt that.  Their fan base is looking for a cup.  This was the big plan for  getting Eichel.  The players are not going to like a tank plan just to protect the first round pick.  

They lost a top prospect (Krebs), a top player (Tuch), and a #1.   They are over the cap with Stone and will lose more players to keep Stone with Eichel.  

They all of a sudden look like they could be stuck in the middle for awhile.  

40 minutes ago, kas23 said:

They don’t need to be included in the 10th worst teams to have a top 10 pick. Lottery is for the top 16th worst teams and they are currently sitting right on the line (15th) of being in the Lottery versus not. All I’m saying is I can see them dropping off to be included in the Lottery, which is a very real possibility. 

Yes they could. NHL changed the rules so a team can only move up 10 spots in the lottery. So they couldn’t get a top 2 spot but they could move up to 5th.

As long as their pick is in the top 10 then they keep it and the Sabres get their 2023 pick. That will be a better draft but I expect Vegas to be better next season.

Having Vegas not make the playoffs and not win a lottery spot is the key. Drafting 11-15th would be big this summer.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Yes they could. NHL changed the rules so a team can only move up 10 spots in the lottery. So they couldn’t get a top 2 spot but they could move up to 5th.

As long as their pick is in the top 10 then they keep it and the Sabres get their 2023 pick. That will be a better draft but I expect Vegas to be better next season.

Having Vegas not make the playoffs and not win a lottery spot is the key. Drafting 11-15th would be big this summer.

Presuming they will be better next year isn’t necessarily a given. They’re an older team with cap and contract issues…

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SDS said:

Presuming they will be better next year isn’t necessarily a given. They’re an older team with cap and contract issues…

You think they will be worse? They have Stone, Pacioretty , Lehner and Smith our long term right now.

You would think they would be back with Jack for the whole year which would make a huge difference.

You Are right though that they are older and have no cap flexibility. I just think they will be better with their pieces together.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

And why do we want to make the same mistake by relying on an unproven prospect and another $750 K vet goalie as his partner.  It’s long past time to go out and actually fix the position with real players.

Funny that our $750K 40-year old goalie has been pretty damn good.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Doubt that.  Their fan base is looking for a cup.  This was the big plan for  getting Eichel.  The players are not going to like a tank plan just to protect the first round pick.  

They lost a top prospect (Krebs), a top player (Tuch), and a #1.   They are over the cap with Stone and will lose more players to keep Stone with Eichel.  

They all of a sudden look like they could be stuck in the middle for awhile.  

Bless their hearts. I wonder how the fan base will react to them NOT being in the playoffs? Vegas is loads of fun...when you're winning.

• Like (+1) 1

It'll be interesting to see what they do at the trade deadline.  There has to be a perception on the team that if they could slip into the playoffs, they'll get Stone back and everything will be all right.

That might make them buyers at the deadline, willing to part with even more draft picks.

With their cap situation mandating 'win now,' they could dig themselves a deeper hole in a delusional attempt to save the season.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, jad1 said:

It'll be interesting to see what they do at the trade deadline.  There has to be a perception on the team that if they could slip into the playoffs, they'll get Stone back and everything will be all right.

That might make them buyers at the deadline, willing to part with even more draft picks.

With their cap situation mandating 'win now,' they could dig themselves a deeper hole in a delusional attempt to save the season.

I wonder if they are on the phone with Adams looking for some cap relief? Do we help them when we have a vested interest in them failing?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I wonder if they are on the phone with Adams looking for some cap relief? Do we help them when we have a vested interest in them failing?

Another great angle.  Vegas is going to be one of the more interesting teams at the deadline.

24 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Bless their hearts. I wonder how the fan base will react to them NOT being in the playoffs? Vegas is loads of fun...when you're winning.

Clever, now back to my point.   I seriously doubt Vegas management goes from loading up for a cup run to tanking all in one season.  Someone else suggested they will tank.   I don’t see them purposely tanking but I can see them missing the playoffs.  

8 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Clever, now back to my point.   I seriously doubt Vegas management goes from loading up for a cup run to tanking all in one season.  Someone else suggested they will tank.   I don’t see them purposely tanking but I can see them missing the playoffs.  

I agree. They aren't going to tank. But they may very well miss the playoffs. Even with the curly haired savior.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

You think they will be worse? They have Stone, Pacioretty , Lehner and Smith our long term right now.

You would think they would be back with Jack for the whole year which would make a huge difference.

You Are right though that they are older and have no cap flexibility. I just think they will be better with their pieces together.

Next year will be a challenge for them.  

1.    They are older. 
2.   Lehner is not a guy I would count on.  
3.  The have to reduce salary to keep all the stars you mentioned.  That means a few solid players will be gone.
4.   That means they sign a few JAG-like players or rush in a few prospects (of which they are thin).  
5.   The magic of their season 1 team looks to be faded.  

No longer are they upstarts with something to prove.  As we know, guys like Eichel and Lehner are not proven under pressure. 

Edited by Pimlach

VGK tanking this season for a 12-15 pick (that would go to Buffalo) and a 3% at a lottery would be a criminal offense for the GM and he should be fired on the spot if he attempts it. They're a veteran roster that's been deep into the playoffs each of the past 4 seasons and just traded depth+picks for a top-line C. They're all-in in the short term and are going to follow through on it (hopefully to our benefit as viewers... munching away on our schadenfreude popcorn).

However, missing the playoffs and having no cap space...  this offseason they may elect to go another direction and that could be fascinating.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Really wish FC hockey would update their draft order. Having Vegas go 29th overall seems crazy at this point and I really think Vegas lost that magic they once had by trying to be the Rangers west and just bring in high priced vet after high priced vet. I would 100% have not have brought in Pacioretty or Dadanov if I were them. There is 12mil in cap that they needed to fit Eichel and make some other depth moves and really have the flexibility they need. Oh well, not my problem. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.