2022 Offseason Game Plan

GASabresIUFAN

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Husso almost certainly will get a UFA contract that commits to him as a number 1, a $4 million for 4 years, or some such.

I might give him that based on (limited) what I've seen, but I don't think Adams will.

I am perfectly fine with him being a 4/5 for the next several years and think he still has it in him to be more.

His issues are largely a product of being asked to be the 2D at 22. They will fade as he improves at the same time he gets asked to do less as Power and Mule continue to ascend.

Provided it doesn't end up a full NMC contract in years 3 & 4 would be perfectly fine w/ it or even $5×4.  He seems to be the guy to go after.  Besides, he looks good in B&G.  😉

Really, not quite clear on how Adams is defining "blocking" any more.

I mean, if all goes well Levi/Portillo should be college->AHL->NHL backup the next three years, so how much of a block is a 4-year starter's contract really?

Do they really expect to give UPL the reins as soon as next year? Even if he takes them, he's going to be paid backup money anyway, so they can afford to overpay the other guy.

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, IvanPutski said:

Does Vítek Vaněček fit?

Honestly yes. Both he and Samsonov have basically split the net in Washington the last two years and both are RFAs due a decent raise.

Can the Capitals fit them into the budget?

Washington has enjoyed a luxury, spending $2.7 mil total for co-starters the last two years.

One of them is likely on the move. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Honestly yes. Both he and Samsonov have basically split the net in Washington the last two years and both are RFAs due a decent raise.

Can the Capitals fit them into the budget?

Washington has enjoyed a luxury, spending $2.7 mil total for co-starters the last two years.

One of them is likely on the move. 

I would love to try to steal Vanecek.  

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I would love to try to steal Vanecek.  

4×4? What could get it done I wonder?

They are strapped and both are starters, I think they may just look to move one. 

I'd offer UPL and a 2nd tomorrow. 

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

I don't understand why Joki is being dismissed as a second pairing defenseman. My view of Joki is that he is a B player on either the first or second pairing. He's a player whose style of play and psychological makeup allows him to subordinate his game to the A player in one of the top two pairings. Both Dahlin and Power (small sample size) have played with him, and each of them thrived. Joki is not the type of player whose efficient and smooth style of play is not going to attract much attention. He will not dominate the play but what he does well is blend and work well with whomever he is paired with.  

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

He dragged Dahlin's numbers down and in limited time away from Joker, we see Power's numbers improve. 

Jokiharju has not worked well being the B player and needs to be upgraded. Samuelsson- Dahlin is set by Power needs someone better. 

What LGR said, both Power and Dahlin have much better numbers away from Jokiharju. 

2 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

That might be a tad rich for a mediocre goalie prospect

He's had two decent seasons already, his first two.

He's been good in the games i've seen him in.

What makes you say that? 

Or what would u offer?

3 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Ahh ok. Whole year off no help? Hips are kinda important.

Last thing out of Philly I heard was they are not sure when (or if) he will be back. Even if he is back, he's far too damaged to take a chance on imo. Philly fans all feel they got damaged goods in that deal and are stuck with his contract.

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/18/2022 at 2:30 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Mitts isn’t being traded.

Marty Biron makes the case for trading Mitts today on the Instigators. (Around 14 minute mark).  Speaks to the attractive AAV for two more years, and the Center position should be Tage/Cozen/Krebs. His position is the Sabres need to trade for a quality starting goaltender or defense.  Also considers the Salary Cap in two more years, when you have Krebs, Power and Dahlin needing new contracts as well.   Duffer was higher on moving Olofsson.  Claims the trade value is now at its pinnacle.  Both seems to agree that the Sabres need to make room for Quinn on the wing and probably need to move one player in a trade to secure another component. 

I feel like Mitts being a JB regime guy coupled with his cap number being so seductive to a team like Minnesota makes him the target in the offseason. 

18 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Marty Biron makes the case for trading Mitts today on the Instigators. (Around 14 minute mark).  Speaks to the attractive AAV for two more years, and the Center position should be Tage/Cozen/Krebs. His position is the Sabres need to trade for a quality starting goaltender or defense.  Also considers the Salary Cap in two more years, when you have Krebs, Power and Dahlin needing new contracts as well.   Duffer was higher on moving Olofsson.  Claims the trade value is now at its pinnacle.  Both seems to agree that the Sabres need to make room for Quinn on the wing and probably need to move one player in a trade to secure another component. 

I feel like Mitts being a JB regime guy coupled with his cap number being so seductive to a team like Minnesota makes him the target in the offseason. 

I'm sorry but Krebs has done next to nothing to make me confident he's an nhl center. 

7 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

This is contrary to what I’ve seen elsewhere.  The consensus seems to be management looks at Mitts as their No. 2 center.  They think he’d have had a huge year if he hadn’t gotten hurt and look for him to be the next breakout player.

I understand the logic of trading a good asset to get another good asset back, but KA isn’t moving on from a developing player for a veteran with a big contract.  He has stated that over and over again.  Also we don’t need to move anyone to fit Quinn into the lineup.  He’ll have a top 6 role next season.  He’ll either be Mitts or TNT’s RW.  
Center depth: TNT, Mitts, Girgensons, Cozens (all under contract)

RW depth: Tuch, Quinn, KO, Open ((Vinnie (UFA) or JJP))

LW depth: Skinner, VO (RFA), Asplund, Krebs

I’ve made the argument earlier this season to trade VO, but I’ve come around to the idea of re-signing him.  We are simply a better team when he is on the ice and healthy.  

My guess is KA’s offseason game-plan is pretty simple and straight forward.  1) Re-sign VO. 2) Acquire a proven goalie. 3) Get a veteran D to match with Power.  After those the rest is gravy.  Does he try to upgrade Girgensons as KO’s center? Does he sign Vinnie?  How much does he pay to re-sign UPL and Bryson? Does he extend TNT and or Okposo before the season.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Norcal said:

He's had two decent seasons already, his first two.

He's been good in the games i've seen him in.

What makes you say that? 

Or what would u offer?

I probably wouldn't trade UPL, replacing 1 goalie prospect with a slightly older one doesn't make me feel any better about our situation. 

19 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I probably wouldn't trade UPL, replacing 1 goalie prospect with a slightly older one doesn't make me feel any better about our situation. 

Really hoping in the GMs EoS PC that somebody asks Adams why UPL was kept in Ra-cha-cha through the entire stretch run.  Expecting it has to do w/ only having 1 non-emergency callup left, and they wanted him the be Ra-cha-cha's playoff goalie so he couldn’t get called up a day before that roster freeze set, but that isn't a particularly satisfying reason.

36 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm sorry but Krebs has done next to nothing to make me confident he's an nhl center. 

I’ve stated in one of these threads that someone we all like is gonna be moved to fill a hole.  Mitts is an obvious possibility, but so is Krebs.  He could be flipped readily. Like you though, I’m not sure he’s shown enough to bring back the value we’re looking for.

On the topic of who will be paired with Power next year, my recollection is that Adams stated they were thinking of options and that they were considering external and internal candidates. I don’t think Adams ever specifically said he was planning to actively pursue a veteran to pair with Power. I don’t have a prediction, but I think some read more into Adams’s comments than what was actually said. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Broken Ankles said:

IDK - I'd personally like to see the Sabres continue to fortify their center spine and turn it into a position that has a deep talent base.  If they have too many centers, some can shift to wing.  We were so thin on center prospects and trading Mitts waters down our center depth.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

IDK - I'd personally like to see the Sabres continue to fortify their center spine and turn it into a position that has a deep talent base.  If they have too many centers, some can shift to wing.  We were so thin on center prospects and trading Mitts waters down our center depth.

I agree, the only way I am going to deal Mitts is if we also brought in a good center in FA (Like Trocheck) unless we win the lottery and get Wright.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.