2022 Offseason Game Plan

GASabresIUFAN

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

My opinion, based on what has been said by Adams and what has been reported to have been said by him, is that he's going to look to bring in an established goalie, or 2, of which Anderson could very well be 1 of those (whether it's 1 or 2 brought in) on a ST (3 years max, likely 2 years); a veteran RHD, a bottom 6 F, and a middle 6 F.  Also expect he'll make an offer to Hinostroza & Pysyk to re-sign.  Which is very much in line w/ what the board concensus seems to be.

My expectation is he makes at least 2 trades to obtain those pieces & those trades bring back a degree of "dead cap" so to speak in including 1 year's worth of either bad contract that could very well end up in Ra-cha-cha or LTIR contract for an effectively retired player that is still cashing a paycheck.

Whomever he brings in will have some sort of tie to either Buffalo or the Sabres staff &/or players (more likely, players) as he'll be quite sure the guy both wants to be here & has the mind set of the players he wants to be here.  And since he likely won't know that directly himself w/out brushing up against rules against tampering until a trade is consummated, there'll be some sort of other tie in.

Who gets brought in at D IMHO will go a long way towards determining whether Johnson eventually signs here or not.  (Really going out on a limb there.  Not.)

Expecting that Adams expects to miss the playoffs this year, but that they'll be close (similar to Vancouver's ultimate end this season) & if Krebs & Cozens take the next step ahead of schedule & the right goalie is here that the playoffs won't be out of the question.

Pretty sure he also sees this team as being tight against the cap in 3-5 years, so there won't be any big money LT contracts coming in.

And that all leaves this kid both frustrated that next year won't be as successful as it easily could be but also hopeful in believing they'll be close to a Florida level team 3-4 years from now and a Dallas level team in 2 years.

My expectation is that Adams has a reasonably good handle on how to improve the skaters next year but not convinced in the least that he'll successfully navigate the waters & land the right bridge goalie.  Hope that latter's too pessimistic, but until it isn't, it is.

Also expect him to sign a whole bunch of NHL 13-14 F's & 7-8 D on 1 year deals to have Ra-cha-cha actually stocked while waiting for guys like Rosen & the Russians to be ready to stock it.  Could also see Subban back as Ra-cha-cha's goalie depending upon his recovery timeline.  Because prospect-wise, other than Quinn who'll start the year in Buffalo & Peterka who'll be a November callup, don't see any sure fire NHLers down on the farm.

Is speaking to an agent tampering?

An agent would be the type of person to have contacts in every dressing room.

4 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Is speaking to an agent tampering?

An agent would be the type of person to have contacts in every dressing room.

Speaking to an agent about a player he represents that doesn't play for your team would be.  Speaking to that same agent about a player he represents that plays for you wouldn't be.  There's a lot of gray involved.

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Speaking to an agent about a player he represents that doesn't play for your team would be.  Speaking to that same agent about a player he represents that plays for you wouldn't be.  There's a lot of gray involved.

Are you suggesting that there is a lot of winking, nodding and third party communication going on between agents and organizations? I'm just shocked!

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Kuemper might not pan out all with us, who is Husso ?   What makes people think spending money on Kuemper is good ?  what has he proven to be a top 10 goalie in this league ?  

Rather give the kings a 3rd rounder for Quick as a 1 year stopgap then.

If you don’t know how good Kuemper has been for years and don’t know who’s Husso is then I don’t know what to tell you. It does explain why you think Mrazek is a good option though.

9 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

If you don’t know how good Kuemper has been for years and don’t know who’s Husso is then I don’t know what to tell you. It does explain why you think Mrazek is a good option though.

Now you are putting words into my mouth, if you think its easy to find a capable NHL goalie, the 15 teams lacking one would have done so already.

So yeah I would give Mrazek, Pickard or Driedger a shot, never know.  That is how goalies usually work, never know if one will pan out in a new environment or not.

We currently have no proven NHL goalie for next year, and we need 2 , but yeah keep dreaming about Kuemper only.

Edited by Huckleberry

5 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Now you are putting words into my mouth, if you think its easy to find a capable NHL goalie, the 15 teams lacking one would have done so already.

So yeah I would give Mrazek, Pickard or Driedger a shot, never know.  That is how goalies usually work, never know if one will pan out in a new environment or not.

We currently have no proven NHL goalie for next year, and we need 2 , but yeah keep dreaming about Kuemper only.

Mrazek, Pickard or Driedger......

Mrazek is a terrible goalie who has a snowball's chance in hell of ever playing well. His problems aren't ones that can be fixed; he loses his net constantly and looks to block pucks making him even more susceptible to being easily deked or passed around.

Pickard, a career backup

Driedger had 1 good year and then turned back into a pumpkin

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Interesting topic on Vancouver radio this morning: the Canucks missed the playoffs because they only managed a single point combined against Detroit and Buffalo.

Be nice if next season changed this perception.

And Vegas might very well miss because they lost in regulation in Buffalo.

It's a long season & everybody but the 2 worst teams have collected at least 2 points every 3 games they play.  Nobody but themselves to blame if they can't be prepared to play teams that are just outside the middle 1/3 of teams in the league.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Interesting topic on Vancouver radio this morning: the Canucks missed the playoffs because they only managed a single point combined against Detroit and Buffalo.

Be nice if next season changed this perception.

Toronto lost 3 of 4 to us, maybe there is more to it then that.  

They missed the playoffs because they started the season 6–14-2 with losing streaks of 3, 4 & 5 games.  Maybe if they start 9-11-2 they’re in the playoffs. They also just went 0-2-1 in games that would have kept them in the race.  The truth is they weren’t good enough.  Maybe they should look inward for the solution.  Getting a better coach was a positive first step.  Improving the offense should be their next step.  18th in GF usually won’t get it done.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

The Sabres offense is only 10 goals behind Van and now stands 21st in the NHL at 229.  Up from 28th last year.  

DG has made it clear in recent press conferences that he expects the vast majority of his squad back next year.   As to the UFA skaters, I’m thinking only Vinnie will be back if DG’s player utilization down the stretch is any indication of who he wants in his lineup.

Here is the breakdown: (The Sabres have played 16 games since the trade deadline).

Vinnie - 16/16

Eakin -10/16, but none since 4/14

Hayden - 1

Miller - 3

Butcher - 5

Pysyk - 5, although I think there is still a slim chance he returns.

Bjork has only played in 5 since the deadline, but 4 recently replacing Eakin in the lineup.  This smells like a tryout to see if he is worth bringing back as the 14th forward.  My answer is no thanks.  It also tells me the Eakin is thankfully gone as well.

Also Bryson played in all 16 games and Fitz 14.  This indicated to me when combined with with DG and KA’s comments that 6/7 of next year’s D is set with Power, Dahlin, Samuelsson, Jokiharju and Bryson in the top 6 and Fitz as the 7th D leaving room for a partner for Power.

Samuelsson Dahlin

Power UFA/Trade

Bryson Jokiharju

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

Mrazek, Pickard or Driedger......

Mrazek is a terrible goalie who has a snowball's chance in hell of ever playing well. His problems aren't ones that can be fixed; he loses his net constantly and looks to block pucks making him even more susceptible to being easily deked or passed around.

Pickard, a career backup

Driedger had 1 good year and then turned back into a pumpkin

top 10 goalies just don't fall into your lap all the time, we are in a position you look at a backup and hope he can become good.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The Sabres offense is only 10 goals behind Van and now stands 21st in the NHL at 229.  Up from 28th last year.  

DG has made it clear in recent press conferences that he expects the vast majority of his squad back next year.   As to the UFA skaters, I’m thinking only Vinnie will be back if DG’s player utilization down the stretch is any indication of who he wants in his lineup.

Here is the breakdown: (The Sabres have played 16 games since the trade deadline).

Vinnie - 16/16

Eakin -10/16, but none since 4/14

Hayden - 1

Miller - 3

Butcher - 5

Pysyk - 5, although I think there is still a slim chance he returns.

Bjork has only played in 5 since the deadline, but 4 recently replacing Eakin in the lineup.  This smells like a tryout to see if he is worth bringing back as the 14th forward.  My answer is no thanks.  It also tells me the Eakin is thankfully gone as well.

Also Bryson played in all 16 games and Fitz 14.  This indicated to me when combined with with DG and KA’s comments that 6/7 of next year’s D is set with Power, Dahlin, Samuelsson, Jokiharju and Bryson in the top 6 and Fitz as the 7th D leaving room for a partner for Power.

Samuelsson Dahlin

Power UFA/Trade

Bryson Jokiharju

I don't understand why Joki is being dismissed as a second pairing defenseman. My view of Joki is that he is a B player on either the first or second pairing. He's a player whose style of play and psychological makeup allows him to subordinate his game to the A player in one of the top two pairings. Both Dahlin and Power (small sample size) have played with him, and each of them thrived. Joki is not the type of player whose efficient and smooth style of play is not going to attract much attention. He will not dominate the play but what he does well is blend and work well with whomever he is paired with.  

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I don't understand why Joki is being dismissed as a second pairing defenseman. My view of Joki is that he is a B player on either the first or second pairing. He's a player whose style of play and psychological makeup allows him to subordinate his game to the A player in one of the top two pairings. Both Dahlin and Power (small sample size) have played with him, and each of them thrived. Joki is not the type of player whose efficient and smooth style of play is not going to attract much attention. He will not dominate the play but what he does well is blend and work well with whomever he is paired with.  

What? Samuelsson/Dahlin is the No.1 pair.  KA said he is looking for a partner for Power and DG is already playing the kid 20+ a night.  That leaves Bryson and Joki as the third pairing.  This isn’t a shot a Joki, but an observation based on how PT is currently allocated and the stated intentions of management.

It’s certainly possible KA doesn’t get the D he is looking for in the off-season.  If that happens Joki jumps back into the Power pairing.  

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What? Samuelsson/Dahlin is the No.1 pair.  KA said he is looking for a partner for Power and DG is already playing the kid 20+ a night.  That leaves Bryson and Joki as the third pairing.  This isn’t a shot a Joki, but an observation based on how PT is currently allocated and the stated intentions of management.

It’s certainly possible KA doesn’t get the D he is looking for in the off-season.  If that happens Joki jumps back into the Power pairing.  

I'm aware that Samuelsson/Dahlin is the #1 pair. But whether paired with Power or Dahlin as a B player in the pairing he has worked well in supporting the primary player in each of the pairings he has been assigned to. The salary attached to a second pairing player is not going to be cheap. I know we have a lot of cap space but I would rather use the money for a goalie or two. None of us know for sure how this plays out but I wouldn't be surprised it Joki ends up paired with Power. TBD.

11 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'd be curious how the last few games have shifted this perception. Joki and Power work really well together. Joki plays the long pass and Power jumps down the ice immediately to join the rush. I didn't like Joki and Dahlin together and I'll be the first to admit I thought Joki brought Dahlin down, but the Joki/Power pairing has been solid in the limited sample size. If I were GMKA I would be seriously considering just going all in on a goalie and less focused on getting a top-4 pairing D-man.

On a side note, I didn't think Samuelsson and Dahlin would work because Dahlin's proclivity to carry the puck in the zone and Samuelsson being somewhat of a static positional 'defensive defenseman' player (not a criticism of him since I think he's a fantastic player, but just a note on his play style). I really underestimated Samuelsson's ability to read and react to Dahlin's play. So yeah, I was pretty off on that one too. Thankfully I do not work for the Sabres organization.

Edited by RochesterExpat
  • Like (+1) 1

Getting a legit goalie is numero uno but a dman is also on the docket.

The Dahlin-Samuelsson pairing has been great and Power-Joker is good as well. It gives Adams a couple options. Bring in a top 4 RHD to play with Power. This was Adams mentality before Power joined the Sabres. I wonder if has changed now that they have seen Power play in the NHL and play with Joker. The second option is to keep those pairs together and sign someone like Gudbransen for the 3rd pair as a big, physical pk guy. He has strived in Calgary in that role.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Can't speak for anyone else, but see him in his own end get out muscled too often & get running around too often to be a regular in the top 4.  As a fill in for injury in the top 4, sure.  And he has improved significantly this year in picking his spots to join the rush - haven't seen his partner defending an odd man rush nearly as often as it happened in the past.

He's young & he's improving, but let him lock down a 3rd pairing w/ Bryson for now & Johnson in 2 years.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm aware that Samuelsson/Dahlin is the #1 pair. But whether paired with Power or Dahlin as a B player in the pairing he has worked well in supporting the primary player in each of the pairings he has been assigned to. The salary attached to a second pairing player is not going to be cheap. I know we have a lot of cap space but I would rather use the money for a goalie or two. None of us know for sure how this plays out but I wouldn't be surprised it Joki ends up paired with Power. TBD.

He dragged Dahlin's numbers down and in limited time away from Joker, we see Power's numbers improve. 

Jokiharju has not worked well being the B player and needs to be upgraded. Samuelsson- Dahlin is set by Power needs someone better. 

Edited by LGR4GM

On 4/18/2022 at 1:30 PM, Norcal said:

I'm starting to think there won't be many changes next year besides goaltending. 

Quinn and Peterka will replace Hiney and Eakin.

Lines could look like this:

Skinner TNT Tuch

Peterka Mitts Quinn

Asplund Krebs Oloffson

Girgensons Cozens Okposo

Bjork, maybe they sign Hiney as 13-14th F

Dahlin Muel

Power Joki

Vet? Vet?

Bryson Fitz 

??? UPL

???

The "vets" the team leans on will be Tuch,TNT, Skinner Okposo, Dahlin etc.

No help is coming and I donno if they need it.

Another year of maturity and continuity could be all they need.

The only thing missing is playoff experience so maybe they can find a couple playoff tested D men to wack and hack in the playoffs. 

I personally hope they keep Hinostroza and that he gets regular playing time; in my mind he's bottom 6 perhaps, but not 13F.  Perhaps he becomes a frequent contributor due to injury and/or rotating rookies through the pressbox for extra perspective.  Hot take:  If they have to get rid of a current forward, it's Girgensons and they keep Hinostroza.  Trade him for a future or part of a deal to acquire a goalie if they can't get one from free agency.

I think Fitz is a 7D but Bryson is a third pairing guy.  Wouldn't be surprised if vet D is Pysyk and he alternates with Fitz or any D who needs a maintenance day.

If you add that up though, how close are the Sabres to the floor?  Even with a splash at goaltender, are they going to struggle to get to the floor?

25 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I personally hope they keep Hinostroza and that he gets regular playing time; in my mind he's bottom 6 perhaps, but not 13F.  Perhaps he becomes a frequent contributor due to injury and/or rotating rookies through the pressbox for extra perspective.  Hot take:  If they have to get rid of a current forward, it's Girgensons and they keep Hinostroza.  Trade him for a future or part of a deal to acquire a goalie if they can't get one from free agency.

I think Fitz is a 7D but Bryson is a third pairing guy.  Wouldn't be surprised if vet D is Pysyk and he alternates with Fitz or any D who needs a maintenance day.

If you add that up though, how close are the Sabres to the floor?  Even with a splash at goaltender, are they going to struggle to get to the floor?

All that is feasible, either way when his contract is up Girgensons is likely gone in my opinion.

Love Girgs but he can go for an upgrade in the lineup. 

I like Hiney and he's fine in a regular role but I'd rather have an upgrade and have him as insurance at 13/14.

I don't know if Quinn and Peterka can be an upgrade right away but I do expect that once they get their feet under them, 20-30 games, they will.

Both will score more points than Hiney did this season.  

Maybe besides goaltending, they will sign a couple vets to get closer to the cap.

They may look to be creative again for that as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

Husso as UFA interests me, I don’t think St-Louis can keep him and Binnington.

He could be the 1A for a few years while the young guys apprentice and jockey for ice time.

Husso almost certainly will get a UFA contract that commits to him as a number 1, a $4 million for 4 years, or some such.

I might give him that based on (limited) what I've seen, but I don't think Adams will.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I am perfectly fine with him being a 4/5 for the next several years and think he still has it in him to be more.

His issues are largely a product of being asked to be the 2D at 22. They will fade as he improves at the same time he gets asked to do less as Power and Mule continue to ascend.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.