Who Should Be Power’s D Partner?

Flashsabre

I still think we should try and trade Victor Olofsson to the Vegas Golden Knights for RHD Zach Whitecloud, retain 50% of Olofsson's term which isn't much, also throw in a defensemen like Hagg or Miller and retain 50% of his salary also. Hagg will add toughness, Olofsson will give them another scoring option and we get a solid 2 way defensemen signed for 4 more years at 2.78M per season.

6 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Chara is not going to be able to play Top 4 Minutes. 

Justin Braun, Troy Stecher and Radko Gudas in a trade should be targets 

I going to withdraw Justin Braun. Friedman was talking about the Philly D Struggles on the Marek Show Today and they brought up Ivan Provorov and the trouble He is having in particular. Braun who is His Primary Partner, does not like to carry the puck out of the defensive zone and consistently passes to Provorov in the D Zone. The word is out around the NHL about this so the Opponents Forecheck concentrates on Provorov usually resulting in a turnover.

I wouldn't want Power put in the same situation as a rookie. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

I going to withdraw Justin Braun. Friedman was talking about the Philly D Struggles on the Marek Show Today and they brought up Ivan Provorov and the trouble He is having in particular. Braun who is His Primary Partner, does not like to carry the puck out of the defensive zone and consistently passes to Provorov in the D Zone. The word is out around the NHL about this so the Opponents Forecheck concentrates on Provorov usually resulting in a turnover.

I wouldn't want Power put in the same situation as a rookie. 

You know, that's one of the plusses of the Joki/Dahlin combo.

In addition to Dahlin becoming elite at beating the pressure, Henri is a no slouch on his own; he can be a good outlet for Ras and doesn't defer, or need to defer, to him.

18 hours ago, dudacek said:

You know, that's one of the plusses of the Joki/Dahlin combo.

In addition to Dahlin becoming elite at beating the pressure, Henri is a no slouch on his own; he can be a good outlet for Ras and doesn't defer, or need to defer, to him.

And the Dahlin/Bryson pair.  They have looked pretty good (Dahlin has looked amazing), and Buffalo could benefit from finding that one of their LD can play the right side well.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I wonder what definition of “top-end” he is using?  I keep coming back to Matt Dumba in Minny with their cap issues coming up.

Is someone like Cernak in TB top end? Looks like he wants to use a trade rather then UFA signing. I know Tyler Myers name has been out there with Vancouver's cap issues. He is having a solid year. Would give them the league’s tallest defence pair.😁

Glad they are serious about developing Power correctly.

Edited by Flashsabre

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

I wonder what definition of “top-end” he is using?  I keep coming back to Matt Dumba in Minny with their cap issues coming up.

Is someone like Cernak in TB top end? Looks like he wants to use a trade rather then UFA signing.

“Top-end” sounds like they are open to move some serious draft capital or even some significant player(s). 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Flashsabre said:

They want to give Power what Botts refused to give to Dahlin. A solid and consistent partner to help him learn.

Effectively let’s not force Power to learn from Dahlin who in himself is still learning. I doubt the trade happens before the deadline this year however. I’d guess the off-season would be his intended purpose for this rumor. Let it float around to the other GMs.

3 minutes ago, kas23 said:

“Top-end” sounds like they are open to move some serious draft capital or even some significant player(s). 

1 of the later 1sts and Johnson for likely starters

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This is good to hear.

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Is someone like Cernak in TB top end? Looks like he wants to use a trade rather then UFA signing. I know Tyler Myers name has been out there with Vancouver's cap issues. He is having a solid year. Would give them the league’s tallest defence pair.😁

Top end probably is an experienced top-4 RD who can help Power and play a lot of mins.  I can’t imagine it’s a truly elite guy, I don’t think any true top pair guys are even available.

I think that Cernak would be great.  I don’t he would be available though.

57 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

I'm intrigued with Petry from Montreal.  They are clearly in rebuild mode now and trying to shed salary. Petry is RD who you could pair with Dahlin or Power.  He is signed for three more years and would be gone before Sabres would have to extend Power. 

Depends on how we sign Power and if we have to eat a year or not.

Petry, if he were a couple years younger would work but he’s really old and his statistics have yanked this year.

Ideally I’d want Letang since he’s still a Top pairing Dman with 3 Cup Rings and the ability to be given a 2 year Uber contract is possible.

Seriously, should we see if Philly is willing to trade Ryan Ellis.  He is 31 and has 5 years left on his deal at 6.25.  Philly is already committed to 5 D, including 3 vets with $17 mil in contracts.  In fact without Ellis, they already have 66.5 mill committed to 14 players.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

Thx @pi2000.  It's actually not my idea.  I saw it on a capfriendly mock Sabres for next year, although the poster's other trades made no sense.  However this one really struck a cord with me.  When healthy, Ellis is an amazing D and started this year on fire before his injury.  The guys is a winner and such a smart player.  He would do wonders for this roster much like Teppo did 17 years ago.  I doubt Philly wants to move him, as they just acquired him for this season, but they really are in cap hell and it might be a golden opportunity to move this team foward.

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Thx @pi2000.  It's actually not my idea.  I saw it on a capfriendly mock Sabres for next year, although the poster's other trades made no sense.  However this one really struck a cord with me.  When healthy, Ellis is an amazing D and started this year on fire before his injury.  The guys is a winner and such a smart player.  He would do wonders for this roster much like Teppo did 17 years ago.  I doubt Philly wants to move him, as they just acquired him for this season, but they really are in cap hell and it might be a golden opportunity to move this team foward.

I've always like Ellis as a player.    There should be options... focusing on cap teams that are (potentially) out of the playoff picture.   

Montreal
Winnipeg
Vancouver
Chicago
Philly

guys like...
Brenden Dillon
Travis Hamonic
Tyler Myers
Calvin De Haan
Justin Braun
Chris Wideman
Jeff Petry
Ben Chiarot

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.