Who Should Be Power’s D Partner?

Flashsabre

8 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I've always like Ellis as a player.    There should be options... focusing on cap teams that are (potentially) out of the playoff picture.   

Montreal
Winnipeg
Vancouver
Chicago
Philly

guys like...
Brenden Dillon
Travis Hamonic
Tyler Myers
Calvin De Haan
Justin Braun
Chris Wideman
Jeff Petry
Ben Chiarot

The irony of Myers returning to mentor Power.  Lots of good players on the list but none are Ellis

33 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I've always like Ellis as a player.    There should be options... focusing on cap teams that are (potentially) out of the playoff picture.   

Montreal
Winnipeg
Vancouver
Chicago
Philly

guys like...
Brenden Dillon  - unsure how he is nowadays
Travis Hamonic - completely shot based on Vancouver boards
Tyler Myers - certainly an ironic choice
Calvin De Haan - mixed bag

Justin Braun - supposedly been a major problem due to his unwillingness to move the puck out of the zone and deferring to Provorov
Chris Wideman - don't know this guy 
Jeff Petry - was good until this year where he seemed to hit a very solid wall
Ben Chiarot - supposedly bad analytics but a good eye test playoff competitor 

• Like (+1) 1

Going to be honest I never fully understood why Myers was ran out of town. People got excited his rookie year and wanted him to be a 1D and he sophomore slumped. He’s still a fine 3/4D.

Maybe Vancouver would trade him at the TDL for a retainer Miller and sweetener?  They’d do it partially to get out of the cap hit for the following two years of contract. 

Myers has a NTC though and I’m not sure why her waive it. 

There will be options:

Back the Brinks Truck up in free agency and hope for the best: Letang or Klingberg

Letang would be the unicorn. Still a point a game player and would only want a 2 to 3 year deal but would be a massive overpay for him to even consider it.

Klingberg is 30 and wants a lot of term which is scary.

More realistic options: players that might get squeezed by cap situations: I put Dumba at the top of the list, Cernak and Gudas next then Myers from Vancouver

Petry from Montreal 35 with 4 more years at big money. Don’t like that option. P.K Subban might get bought out in NJ but he brings baggage and seems to be declining.

Scott Mayfield checks a lot of boxes. Big, physical stay at home RHD that is a great pker.  Gudbransen is a UFA that is similar. Manson as well.

Ellis just went to Philly, played 4 games and is out for the year. I don’t see them wanting to move him unless the cap is a real problem there and I don’t see that

There are lots of options, more then are listed here so it will be interesting to see what Adams does.

Adams in an Athletic interview with Vogl:

You mentioned Owen. There have been various reports about looking for a veteran right-handed D. If that’s the case, what do you want from a person who would be his partner?

Yeah, it’s interesting there’s been reports out there. When we look at Owen, we see a player that’s gotten better from the start of the year to the middle of the year to the end of the year, which to me is so important. No matter how talented you are, no matter where you’re picked in the draft, you have to keep getting better. So that’s exciting.

I look at him as a player that’s going to be an every-situation, big-minute player when he’s playing on our team. Whether that’s right in the beginning or if that takes a little time, that’s fine, but I think it’s important to have stability around him, to have a calmness. What we’ve thought a lot about is, “Are there players out there that we could target for trade discussions? Are there players out there that are potential UFA-type guys that we can look at? Or are there guys internally that we think would be a good fit?

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Adams in an Athletic interview with Vogl:

You mentioned Owen. There have been various reports about looking for a veteran right-handed D. If that’s the case, what do you want from a person who would be his partner?

Yeah, it’s interesting there’s been reports out there. When we look at Owen, we see a player that’s gotten better from the start of the year to the middle of the year to the end of the year, which to me is so important. No matter how talented you are, no matter where you’re picked in the draft, you have to keep getting better. So that’s exciting.

I look at him as a player that’s going to be an every-situation, big-minute player when he’s playing on our team. Whether that’s right in the beginning or if that takes a little time, that’s fine, but I think it’s important to have stability around him, to have a calmness. What we’ve thought a lot about is, “Are there players out there that we could target for trade discussions? Are there players out there that are potential UFA-type guys that we can look at? Or are there guys internally that we think would be a good fit?

So he's said many words without really saying anything atoll, which is expected in an interview.

Seems like he is looking at every possibility.

Maybe it's some reporter that is floating out there that Adams is saying that Power's partner is not on the team yet.

2 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

So he's said many words without really saying anything atoll, which is expected in an interview.

Seems like he is looking at every possibility.

Maybe it's some reporter that is floating out there that Adams is saying that Power's partner is not on the team yet.

Eillot Friedman, who said he talked to Adams about the need of a partner for Power, then speculated that he was not on the team yet.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1)acquire a legit NHL goalie

2) aquire a top4 RHD

3) add Power, Quinn, UPL and possibly  JJ to the roster

4) cut the dead weight: Eakin, Bjork, vet depth dmen , Toker, Hayden (they need what he brings just a better player bringing it)

5) decide on VO. If you can move him in a deal for a goalie or RHD perfect or move him for assets to use on a goalie or RHD. I think he will be paid to much for what he will bring to this team.

Just the guys speculating, no inside scoop.

Chychrun shoots left but Power plays both sides at Michigan a lot.

Chychrun would check a lot of boxes: young, cost controlled, physical, great skater, tough.

Don’t forget the Chychruns and Pegulas are or at least were neighbors in Florida and I’m sure Murray picking Nylander over Chychrun in the draft drew a real wedge between Murray and the Pegulas.

We easily have the pieces to aquire him too. You can make a package of either  Vegas or Florida’s 1st round pick, a prospect like Ryan Johnson, Rosen, Polpatov or Kisakov maybe a roster player like VO.

Any combination of pieces like that is better then a team like Boston who are rumoured to be in on him could offer.

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Chychrun would check a lot of boxes: young, cost controlled, physical, great skater, tough.

Don’t forget the Chychruns and Pegulas are or at least were neighbors in Florida and I’m sure Murray picking Nylander over Chychrun in the draft drew a real wedge between Murray and the Pegulas.

We easily have the pieces to aquire him too. You can make a package of either  Vegas or Florida’s 1st round pick, a prospect like Ryan Johnson, Rosen, Polpatov or Kisakov maybe a roster player like VO.

Any combination of pieces like that is better then a team like Boston who are rumoured to be in on him could offer.

A couple things:

1) Power plays both sides a lot at Michigan?  Are you sure that is true?  Who is his partner when at RD?  I thought he basically always played LD with Blankenburg as his RD.

2) I’m not sure that we should be hoping for Chychrun.  He is hurt a lot and he isn’t that solid defensively.

Sabres don’t need another offensive leaning LHD.  They need defensively reliable RHD.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Curt said:

A couple things:

1) Power plays both sides a lot at Michigan?  Are you sure that is true?  Who is his partner when at RD?  I thought he basically always played LD with Blankenburg as his RD.

2) I’m not sure that we should be hoping for Chychrun.  He is hurt a lot and he isn’t that solid defensively.

Sabres don’t need another offensive leaning LHD.  They need defensively reliable RHD.

I agree wholeheartedly, he's a lefty we don't need another one, plus the main reason Arizona is even thinking about moving this kid is because he isn't reliable in his own end. What we need is a defensibly reliable, physical RD that is good on the PK and will add some vet experience to mentor the majority of our backend. 

15 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Scott Mayfield checks a lot of boxes. Big, physical stay at home RHD that is a great pker.  Gudbransen is a UFA that is similar. Manson as well.

I see someone has read my previous posts on both those guys. Mayfield we'll have to trade for but Gudbranson you're correct is an UFA. Both won't break the bank either. We have enough puck movers we need more Samuelsson's IMO unless someone like Dumba falls in our lap in a cap dump. Tampa isn't trading Cernak by the way. 

Edited by jsb
Spell check can kill a good mood somedays

7 hours ago, Curt said:

A couple things:

There defence moves around a lot. Blankenburg has played with Hughes a lot lately. And they lineup on face offs on their strong side but once the puck drops all bets are off as they switch sides a lot.

I wouldn’t want Power starting his career on his weak side.

It was just something to think about with the connection between the Pegulas and Chychrun families.

9 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

I want nothing to do with Chychrun.

https://theathletic.com/3190345/2022/03/17/the-sabres-search-for-owen-powers-partner-scott-mayfield-luke-schenn-matt-dumba-and-other-potential-fits/

The Athletic now has a full story on potential partners for Power.

Trade candidates

PLAYER AGE

Scott Mayfield  29

Luke Schenn 32

Matt Dumba 27

Nick Jensen 31

Dylan DeMelo 28

Radko Gudas 31

Despite Caps fans comments to the contrary, I think Jensen is available.  DeMelo is interesting especially considering they exposed him in the expansion draft.

Nick Jensen: The Capitals blueliner is having a career season at age 31, putting up 17 points through 55 games with an even-strength goal differential of plus-23. He skates on Washington’s second pair, so he could slide into that role in Buffalo, too.

Jensen has one more season with a $2.5 million cap hit before becoming a UFA.

Pending UFAs

PLAYERAGE

P.K. Subban 32

Kris Letang 34

Anton Stralman 35

John Klingberg 29

Josh Manson 30

Erik Gudbranson 30

Justin Braun 35

Justin Schultz 31

Justin Braun: The Flyers defenseman has 100 games of playoff experience and knows how to take care of his own end. He’s averaging more than 20 minutes of ice time. He rarely misses a game, closing in on 800 for his career. He’s a good value at $1.8 million.

I love Stralman the player, and I guess he still has something in the tank.  A two year deal would work and help get us to the cap floor.  I like Braun as well as a value pickup.  I'm surprised Jan Ruutta wasn't on their list.

They also mention Pysyk as an internal candidate.  I'm not a fan of this idea except bring Pysyk back as a 7/8 guy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.