Who Should Be Power’s D Partner?

Flashsabre

Scott Mayfield really intrigues me as a player. Big and powerful but seems to be more of a stay at home safe guy from what others have said. Seems perfect for Power. 

I also might sign Blackenburg and give Power at least someone in the org he knows even if he ends up as a AHL guy (most likely outcome). 

• Like (+1) 1

All things being equal I would rank them:

1) Letang

2) Dumba

3) Klingberg

4) Gudas

5) Mayfield/ Gudbranson/Jensen

Letang is the grand prize but for him to even think of signing here it would take a huge overpay. He is still at the top of his game and would really help Power develop.

Dumba is 27 and has 1 year at $6 million left. He would take assets to aquire. With the dead cap coming in Minny he could be available. Talented dman that would make a formidable duo with Power.

Klingberg will be 30 and a reason they say Dallas wants to move him is because he wants 7-8 years term. If you could get him for 4 years it would be great but sounds like he wants much more.

Gudas might be a cap casualty this summer in Florida. Nasty player who takes care of his end and would allow Power to roam.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=169620

Preds just put Philippe Myers on waivers. Big, physical RHD 25 years old. Interesting name to claim and take for a test drive especially if other d are moved. Making $2.5 which might scare teams off. Interesting guy to claim and see if he is a fit.

I would give it a shot, you never know what will happen with trades and in the off season.  If you are able to get better options than buffalo could always put him on waivers or send him in a trade.  Definitely worth the risk.

34 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

I would give it a shot, you never know what will happen with trades and in the off season.  If you are able to get better options than buffalo could always put him on waivers or send him in a trade.  Definitely worth the risk.

I am not saying he is the answer to be Power’s partner but rather a rhd for free to take a look at as depth anyways.

53 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

We should absolutely get Myers.  The Sabres have never had a player born in New Brunswick.

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm unsure if he's as good as Johnson who I also like. 

LA is an interesting trade partner. Clarke, Faber, Grans gives them 3 young RHD for the future.

I like Johnson but I wonder what he thinks looking at Dahlin, Power, Samuelsson and even Bryson on the left side. I think he can play the right side but he may think there are a lot of other teams out there where he would have an easier path to the NHL.

If he is not all in on signing then he is a  good piece to swap for a young RHD that can add to the backend going forward.

54 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We should absolutely get Myers.  The Sabres have never had a player born in New Brunswick.

We absolutely should not get Myers. Carrier would be a perfect fit though if we could somehow pry him out of Nashville. 

14 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Should we be worried that Power has only 1 pt (an assist) in his last 6 college games? Is he just tired from playing for 3 teams this season? Is he hurt?  He has looked fine defensively, but he doesn’t seem to be playing with his same attacking style.

No

• Thanks (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Should we be worried that Power has only 1 pt (an assist) in his last 6 college games? Is he just tired from playing for 3 teams this season? Is he hurt?  He has looked fine defensively, but he doesn’t seem to be playing with his same attacking style.

He probably is dealing with some sort of nagging injury.  I don’t think we should be too concerned.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

My biggest takeaway from last night’s game was that Power was not up the ice attacking. That would come from the coaching staff who probably want to play safer with it being one and done with the tournament. He might also be hurt or tired from the Olympics.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

My guess is a 3-fold combination

1. Exhaustion, playing for 3 separate teams in the past 5 months can't be easy; not to mention needing to go to China

2. Nagging injuries, likely lower body but not serious enough to take him out of the lineup.

3. With parts 1 & 2, coaches are having him play a more defensive role seeing as they still have Hughes. It's the luxury of having multiple high end Dmen.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

No

Owen Power will be fine

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, sweetlou said:

Both are UFA's after next year.  NJ and islanders may look to move to get some type of return instead of letting them walk.  

Severson would be perfect.  I think he would be extremely expensive.  I don’t think that a lot of people realize how good he is because he is a defensive defenseman on a bad team.

Although I recall hearing recently that he wanted to stay in NJ and was interested in working on an extension with them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.