GDT - Sabres @ Stars - February 27 , 2022 - 2:00 PM (EST) - MSG-B, WGR and BSSW

woods-racer

4 minutes ago, nucci said:

it's been really ugly since the 5-1 October

I dunno if I want to peruse the expectations thread but I can’t imagine many set them quite this low willingly 

Aside from the now expected quick start (they are GOING TO start quick next season too, it’s almost a certainty) it’s a tank team by record 

Another L.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

This team really needs its full-grown, experienced hockey players back. Girgs, Hino, Miller. That allows some kids to go back to the AHL and not get pushed around night-in and night-out... as well as to sit Bjork. Possibly even rest VO, or get him surgery or whatever, because he's JAG when he can't shoot the puck.

3 minutes ago, Norcal said:

EN no goal against woot

That was a takeaway... Eakin did well in the dot and they looked at least a bit dangerous with the empty net.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Dahlin, Thompson, Skinner are significantly better.

Cozens, Jokiharju and Okposo are better. Tuch is better than we expected.

Olofsson and Mitts are worse.

Asplund and Bryson are the same.

Krebs, Samuelsson, Fitz are rookies.

Eakin, Hayden, Bjork, Pysyk, Hagg don’t really matter.

5 players that don’t matter.  Toss in 4  - Olofsson, Mitts, Asplund and Bryson - that are not good enough.  Add in needs for 2 NHL goalies.  That is 11 players that need to be upgraded.  

At the glacial pace that Adams has been on for 3 years  we are looking at how many more years of this ?   3 or 4 or 5?   In two years Dahlin, Thompson, and Cozens will want out.  

Pegula’s allowed a tank and a gutting of Rochester, and then they won’t hire experienced GMs and coaches. 

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Dahlin, Thompson, Skinner are significantly better.

Cozens, Jokiharju and Okposo are better. Tuch is better than we expected.

Olofsson and Mitts are worse.

Asplund and Bryson are the same.

Krebs, Samuelsson, Fitz are rookies.

Eakin, Hayden, Bjork, Pysyk, Hagg don’t really matter.

I'd add Asplund to the worse row. Olofsson got hurt and they both fell off the map this season.

I just can't give Mitts any reading just yet. He's worse, but he's also played 1 period, then was hurt, and is now trying to get back into gear with a rookie and a broken VO.

It was a brutal game to watch as a Sabres fan, they desperately need the vets back in this lineup.... Guys like Eakin, Hagg are just playing way too much, it's clear they aren't good enough to be on this roster. I saw Hagg on 2 of the 4 goals just skating around aimlessly, if you rewind the first goal of the game he leaves his guy to go in to an open area where nobody is and leaves the goal scorer wide open. Why would he leave a man to skate into open ice? Baffling.

33 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Surprised you aren’t including Cozens. 
Doubled his points and tripled his goals and has been getting experience against all the top players.

He’s not improved/impressed to the level this season I’d expect, when he’d be a (perhaps *THE*) front-and-centre player in the “why we aren’t trying to win and instead focusing on development” strategy. If we are tossing a whole, crucial season to this, I want to see signs he’s opening up the door to potentially being a 1C and I don’t see that in his game this year, yet.

Mind, this isn’t the same conversation as “what are your thoughts on Cozens” - I’m specifically framing it through the prism of sacrificing a year for this development. I’d much sooner have him behind a “block” or two, with slightly less minutes, if he was gaining traction in a more winning environment. But, as you know, I’ve never agreed with Adams’ strategy.

If that’s moving the goalposts too much, re: the original point - yes, he’s developed some. I just was expecting more - imagine if Thompson was still at Wing. He’s bailing out Cozens in perception in that sense, imo. Cozens came into the season as our best hope for a 1C and maybe still is. I’m not sure that’s in the cards for him.

I’m sure he’ll be fine. It’s just tough for me to remove the context from consideration in my mind: only Dahlin and Thompson have impressed me with the gains they’ve made. 

Skinner, honestly, I kinda saw it coming. But I still count him cause it’s undeniable improvement. 

Edited by Thorny

19 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Pegula’s allowed a tank and a gutting of Rochester, and then they won’t hire experienced GMs and coaches.

It’s Pegula… (Didn’t he put Kim in charge of the Sabres??)… You gotta think Bettman is getting pressure from other owners… The Sabres affect their attendance as well…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Believer said:

It’s Pegula… (Didn’t he put Kim in charge of the Sabres??)… You gotta think Bettman is getting pressure from other owners… The Sabres affect their attendance as well…

In that Harrington article, he mentions that visiting management/scouts are asking a lot of “what’s going on?” questions. Bettman retains full confidence in the Pegulas, according to the quotes therein 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

In that Harrington article, he mentions that visiting management/scouts are asking a lot of “what’s going on?” questions. Bettman retains full confidence in the Pegulas, according to the quotes therein 

My bet is Pegula is being given instructions from Bettman in private to make some changes this off season… and getting some grief from other owners who have trouble selling tickets to Sabre games… Open the purse strings… Give KA his head… Let’s find out how creative he is… Let’s find out next season if Granato can win at the NHL level with a real team…

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Believer said:

My bet is Pegula is being given instructions from Bettman in private to make some changes this off season… and getting some grief from other owners who have trouble selling tickets to Sabre games… Open the purse strings… Give KA his head… Let’s find out how creative he is… Let’s find out next season if Granato can win at the NHL level with a real team…

Why would other teams have trouble selling tickets when Sabres visit?  Doesn’t every fan want to see a win in person???

Is this a real thing, or a made up thing?  Are other teams really having trouble selling tickets when Sabres visit?  Feels like a made up thing.

My bet would be that the Pegulas are not being given directives from Bettman, although they probably have had 1 or 2 conversations over the past year about the plan for the team moving forward.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Curt said:

Why would other teams have trouble selling tickets when Sabres visit?  Doesn’t every fan want to see a win in person???

Is this a real thing, or a made up thing?  Are other teams really having trouble selling tickets when Sabres visit?  Feels like a made up thing.

My bet would be that the Pegulas are not being given directives from Bettman, although they probably have had 1 or 2 conversations over the past year about the plan for the team moving forward.

Back when the Sabres were relevant but not yet with a ST waiting list they'd have noticeably fewer people in the building in the 1st 1/2 of the season when teams like Hartford, Atlanta, Phoenix, Columbus, the Aisles, & the like were in town.  That effect was magnified when the game was a weeknight game.

And the Sabres knew they'd have poor turnout as there would be noticeably fewer of the "kiosk" style vendors set up in the 300's.  Could just about guarantee that there'd be under 14k in the building if the beer vendor next to our aisleway wasn't set up.  (Really stunk those handful of times the Sabres/ Delaware North miscalculated, as the beer lines were intolerable those nights. 😉 )

Can't see why the Sabres aren't now becoming team non grata unless Sabres fans are traveling significantly better than they are showing up at home.

As to WHY people don't show up to (hopefully, expectedly, other) watch their team kill a bad team, not a psychologist, but would guess it's some combination of they know they'll get their own backup goalie, they know their team might take the bad team likely which is a serious bummer, and, though they want to see their team win a hockey game they still want to see an actual hockey game if they're going to drop a couple hundred bucks plus on that evening out.  When the Sabres happened to destroy the Phlyers or Bruins, it was a lot of fun from start to finish, but should they be destroying say Atlanta by the time the 2nd was nearly done there was a serious decrease in the energy level in the building and the players on both teams seemed to sag from that lack of energy.  My 2 cents.  YMMV.

20 minutes ago, Curt said:

Call it my anecdotal hunch… Long ago in another life, was a 10 year Capitals season ticket holder… (2 seats Row 26 Mid ice on the aisle … Started out in the Nosebleeds… Improved my seats each year so the last few years sat behind Peter O’Malley Team President and his regular guest, Steny Hoyer… Best seats in the house… Spilled beer on Hoyer a couple times… I’m right handed😎)…  

‘74-‘84 crap teams… More than a few times had trouble getting one of my regular guests to enjoy a game against another crap team… Watching two crap teams was too much… Gotta be harder to sell tickets to a game between two crap teams…

Historical attendance Away records show a mixed bag…

https://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance

So, you might be right that owners aren’t pressuring Pegula to field a competitive team next season… but it’s just a hunch his team is costing some of them money…

It’s definitely a thing. The Sabres tickets here in Winnipeg / tickets for the games with bad teams are always easier to get and the arena less full

The games against the good/names teams sell for more and there is a higher demand 

- - - 

The Sabres aren’t a Draft and Develop racket - they are in the Entertainment racket. It’s a product, not a process, for most partakers. A poor, less exiting team results in a more boring game and less entertaining product and if that’s the team coming to town, less people want to watch. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

This team really needs its full-grown, experienced hockey players back. Girgs, Hino, Miller.

This is not trivial.  We do not have much for veteran support with a full roster.  Pull 3 of them off the roster and veteran support is laughable.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.