GDT - Sabres @ Stars - February 27 , 2022 - 2:00 PM (EST) - MSG-B, WGR and BSSW

woods-racer

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Happen to be in the camp that believes they have to start winning SOME games before they figure out how to win enough to get into the playoffs.

How can this not be self evident to so many people?

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, JohnC said:

I believe that a rebuild was/is necessary. That doesn't mean that I fully go along with how it is done. There is no doubt that the primary method revolves around the strategy of drafting and developing. I'm fine with that. However, that doesn't mean that there aren't other avenues alongside the drafting strategy that could be used to accelerate the pace of the reconstruction. 

It has become apparent to me from a competitive standpoint that this was a throwaway year. That was made abundantly clear when the organization took on a hefty contract for a player they had no intention of keeping for the purpose of using it as a write-off to get to the cap floor.

This offseason, the franchise has a copious amount of cap space and an excess in draft capital for the next couple of years. Will some of those assets be judiciously  used to upgrade the roster and put our young players in a better position to succeed? If it doesn't I will be very disappointed. It's time for this rickety organization to exhibit a greater degree of urgency to becoming more competitive. It's time! The vanishing fanbase deserve better. 

Right on. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Happen to be in the camp that believes they have to start winning SOME games before they figure out how to win enough to get into the playoffs.  So, no, do not agree in any way that good (or even reasonable) goaltending is a luxury next year.  It's a necessity.  OR we are giving Adams a free pass to not show appreciable improvement for a THIRD year?  

In what line of work, other than POSSIBLY something in the public sector, can you FAIL THREE years running and get a pass?

Next year (if we stay on a linear win pace) will be an 80-ish point season. That will be SOME more wins. Unless you are looking at giving up a large sum (picks /prospects)for the likes of a Price to tend net next year this team with any other goalie won't add much to the win column.

You want your cake and eat it too. Get a really good goalie but pay little for it in a time when goalies are at a premium because of covid. Your asking KA to win the goalie lottery or else he will be a failure. He's taken that bet with Levi/UPL/Portillo. He may get lucky with salary cap dumps. I just won't be upset if he gets a do-over of this year.

To the bold.

A Buffalo weather person. Rarely gets it right and always blames the lake.

1 minute ago, woods-racer said:

Next year (if we stay on a linear win pace) will be an 80-ish point season. That will be SOME more wins. Unless you are looking at giving up a large sum (picks /prospects)for the likes of a Price to tend net next year this team with any other goalie won't add much to the win column.

You want your cake and eat it too. Get a really good goalie but pay little for it in a time when goalies are at a premium because of covid. Your asking KA to win the goalie lottery or else he will be a failure. He's taken that bet with Levi/UPL/Portillo. He may get lucky with salary cap dumps. I just won't be upset if he gets a do-over of this year.

To the bold.

There WILL be goalies available.  Adams won't have to give up Quinn, Peterka, & a pick to get a good one.  And nobody said it has to be a Price brought in.  They've got what is said to be a top notch analytics department & one of the best respected goalie coaches in the league.

That Adams has done nothing in the immediate term to solve goaltending doesn't mean it's not possible for him to do something about it.  Heck, grabbing Levi gives hope that he actually knows what a legit goalie looks like.  IF he still does nothing this off-season, common sense says it's not a priority to him.  And with attendance where it is, that'll be beyond arrogant, should it pass.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, woods-racer said:

To the bold.

I don't think Levi or Portillo will be dressing for the Sabres next season unless due to injuries of the starter and back up. To get a quality number 1 keeper you either have to give up something of serious value, or assume that anyone who may be available is even willing to sign in Buffalo, full knowing next season most likely isn't a playoff one either. Not going to be easy. As for an 80-ish point season? They'll have to prove that to me under Granato. I assume nothing with this club anymore.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.