Be the GM and get us to the cap floor next year

Flashsabre

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I wonder if the Canucks would give us Tyler Myers for a 3rd rounder or less?

They are about to launch a rebuild and need to clear cap space.

Cap hit of $6 million for 2 more years, RHD. He’s 32 now and having a decent year.

Setting aside his Buffalo baggage, he’d tick a lot of boxes for us and would be an interesting partner for Power.

Not good at Defense and not physical, easy pass for me

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Not good at Defense and not physical, easy pass for me

No offence man, but you pass on anyone with any warts.

Where you going to get a better veteran RHD for two years or less at a cheap acquisition price?

Myers ain’t great , but also isn’t the player you remember either. He would help this team. He is better than Mark Pysyk or Colin Miller or moving one of our lefties over.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Where you going to get a better veteran RHD for two years or less at a cheap acquisition price?

Myers ain’t great , but also isn’t the player you remember either. He would help this team. He is better than Mark Pysyk or Colin Miller or moving one of our lefties over.

Interesting point... still don't want him...  would rather have PK Subban or Kris Letang... not sure either would leave but who knows and both are UFAs, Klingberg is a UFA as well as Josh Manson.  All I'd rather have than Myers.

Edited by North Buffalo

On 2/23/2022 at 2:29 PM, dudacek said:

Effectively, trading Olofsson, cap space and futures for a guy who adds some of the elements the top 9 most lacks - experience, battle, 2-way play - Andrew Copp, maybe?

Copp is UFA after this season, so KA can just go and offer a nice contract without giving anything up.

6 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Interesting point... still don't want him...  would rather have PK Subban or Kris Letang... not sure either would leave but who knows and both are UFAs, Klingberg is a UFA as well as Josh Manson.  All I'd rather have than Myers.

Sure, but the issue is convincing any those guys to come to Buffalo without overpaying on a long-term deal.

(That aside, I’d kick the tires on any UFA who is still capable. Manson is a perfect fit, Klingberg not as much. Letang is still real good, Subban not so much)

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Copp is UFA after this season, so KA can just go and offer a nice contract without giving anything up.

I know. I didn’t mean actually trading VO for Copp.

I meant effectively doing that by choosing to invest a top 6 roster spot and long-term contract slot on a Copp-type than a VO-type.

I know we can afford both now, but it probably won’t be the case in a few years when Tage, Power, Dahlin, Cozens and Mitts are all getting raises.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

Cap hit of $6 million for 2 more years, RHD. He’s 32 now and having a decent year.

Setting aside his Buffalo baggage, he’d tick a lot of boxes for us and would be an interesting partner for Power.

And I could wear my white Myers jersey again!

I would also support this as a hockey move -- he's a pretty solid player who didn't reach his potential, but still decent, has the right term remaining on his contract, presumably wouldn't cost much and would definitely fill a need.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Minny will be in cap hell this offseason. Dumba and Fiala would take a lot of money off their cap.😁

Their decision to buy out Suter (Parise was a good buyout) is going to come back to bite them. This season they've got $4.6M dead cap on Suter/Parise. The next three years it's $12, 14, and $14. The cap will go up, but not enough or quickly to cover that. 

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

I’d do it.  I’d probably do it for a 2nd.  A proven NHL calibre RHD with a cap hit we can work with, relatively short term left?  I’d trade a 25-30% chance at that replacement in 3-5 years in a heartbeat.

Lets go win some games.

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

It's more about style and fit; he's more of the same puck moving soft defensively deficient player we already have plenty of. Now if its Myers vs bring back Miller I'd rather get Myers.

31 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

It's more about style and fit; he's more of the same puck moving soft defensively deficient player we already have plenty of. Now if its Myers vs bring back Miller I'd rather get Myers.

He’s really not either of those things if you’re using him in a #4 role.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He’s really not either of those things if you’re using him in a #4 role.

I just see issues arising from a D corp of

Dahlin - Jokiharju

Power - Myers

Samuelsson - Fitzgerald

Bryson

Not very much there in regards to veteran presence, Cup winning or competing experience, and mentorship.

Also Myers is soft regardless of his spot on the defense; still a great skater and better than a JAG but he doesn't bring much new to the table.

Here is how GM Kevyn could get to the cap floor and improve the team without blocking any of the kids.  

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/3086576

I acquired Orlov and a 5th (2023) from Washington for Bryson and LV's 2rd in 2023

I acquired Quick from LA for a our 3rd in 2023 and the Washington 5th in 2023

I re-signed VO (3 years at 4.5), UPL (2 years at 850), Jankowski (2 years at 825) and Pysyk (2 years a 1.1)

I figured Bryson was expendable with the additions to the organization of Power and Johnson.  I also re-signed Jankowski for C/W depth.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Here is how GM Kevyn could get to the cap floor and improve the team without blocking any of the kids.  

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/3086576

I don’t hate it, that goaltending platoon could work and help UPL develop.

Growth from the youth is key for that lineup to take a step forward.

I don’t mind Orlov but he is a LHD playing the right side. I would rather a tough RHD like Gudbranson or help the Wild get out of cap hell by taking Dumba off of their hands.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't have any names off the top of my head, but I'm looking for some things at the trade deadline.  Guys other teams want to get rid of...not because they are BAD but because they are overpaid. There are always guys out there like that.  A team close to the cap has a guy under contract for 1 or maybe 2 more years at $4 million...when he is really playing at a $2.5 million dollar level.  The team WANTS to clear up space and get rid of that player. The Sabres are in a position where they could get that $2.5 million dollar buy for virtually no assets because they have the cap room to take on the contract.  There were rumblings earlier that the Blue Jackets were not happy paying Nyquist...maybe someone like him to can fill in on your 3rd or 4th line and be better than what you have now for a year or two?

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/25/2022 at 12:40 AM, dudacek said:

I would call Florida after the season is over and see if there is something we can do to help their cap crunch. They will have about 5.1 Million in Cap Space with only 15 players signed. I would see if they are willing to part with Patric Hornqvist and one Radko Gudas. The former has a M NTC, I would entice Him with a promise to move Him at the TDL in 2023 if desired. 

Gudas provides a very dependable stay at home defenseman on the Right Side who provides the snarl the Defense has been lacking. He could pair with either Dahlin or Power in the Top 4. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I would call Florida after the season is over and see if there is something we can do to help their cap crunch. They will have about 5.1 Million in Cap Space with only 15 players signed. I would see if they are willing to part with Patric Hornqvist and one Radko Gudas. The former has a M NTC, I would entice Him with a promise to move Him at the TDL in 2023 if desired. 

Gudas provides a very dependable stay at home defenseman on the Right Side who provides the snarl the Defense has been lacking. He could pair with either Dahlin or Power in the Top 4. 

I despise Gudas.

He’d be a great fit. Good call.

• Like (+1) 3

Like GM Tim Murray stated years ago about free agency which I believe true, he said "It's not hard finding players to take our money" or something along those lines. I would like the Sabres to overpay for 2 veteran RHD for a year or 2 contract, I'm not sure if that's possible but I'd like it. We have 22M to get to the cap floor let's spend it wisely and in places to help us develop. 2 RHD I'd go after would be John Klingberg (DAL) and Connor Murphy (CHI), both play a solid game and both would help Dahlin and Power grow imo.

Also a veteran Goalie to help progress UPL also, same mindset would be to overpay on a 1-2 year deal and my targets would be Darcy Keumper (COL), Thomas Greiss (DET), Korpisalo (CBJ), Brayden Holtby (DAL), Jarislav Halak, Marc Andre Fleury (Pipe dream). Whatever money left over you can resign Hinostroza if you want or other low level guys. So just a few moves can really bolster the roster.

LW Jeff Skinner, C Tage Thompson, RW Alex Tuch

LW Peyton Krebs C Dylan Cozens RW Jack Quinn

LW Rasmus Asplund C Casey Middlestadt RW J.J. Peterka

LW Zemgus Girgenson C Vinny Hinostroza RW Kyle Okposo

LHD Rasmus Dahlin RHD John Klingberg

LHD Owen Power RHD Connor Murphy

LHD Mattias Samuelsson RHD Henri Jokiharju

Or we could just go all in on 2 guys, 1 RHD P.K. Subban or Kris Letang and G Marc Andre Fleury or Darcy Keumper. I don't think it will be hard to get guys to come here if we're giving the most money imo. Some just want to win it all but the money is sometimes too good to pass up.

Edited by GoPuckYourself
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

I know three guys from the Iron League that are available, but hey may bring their f****** toys with them.

They're too dumb to play with themselves.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.