Be the GM and get us to the cap floor next year

Flashsabre

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/3086394

I put together a team for next season.

! traded Asplund to get Compher. Colorado needs some cap relief and we need to get to the cap.  Compher is a little more proven and is a perfect fit for this team.

I traded LV 2nd in 2023 to the NYI for Varlomov adding experience and 5 mill to the cap.

I traded a 4th in 2022 and 6th in 2023 to Wash for RHD Nick Jensen

I also re-signed Pysyk ($1 mill), Hinostroza (1.25) VO (3 years at 4.5) UPL (2 years at 900K) and Bryson (2 years at 1.1).  I also signed Power to his ELC.

I'm leaving JJP in Rochester to start the season and am carrying 8 D.

Skinner, TT, Tuch

VO, Mitts, Quinn

Krebs, Cozens, KO

Compher, Girgensons, Hinostroza  

Bjork

Dahlin Jokiharju

Samuelsson Jensen

Power Fitzgerald

Bryson Pysyk

Varlomov, UPL

I'm not sure how the D lines would shake out.  I like having four lines to play.  I think the list "4th" would be a very difficult matchup.  

I'm also thinking about going after Lazar again instead of Hinostroza and creating a Z, Lazar and Compher 4th line.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/3109188

I have redone the prior team.  I concentrated on building more veteran depth including building what I think could be a very effective 3rd/4th line.  My goal here is by building a very good 3/4 line it might take the pressure off some of the kids and give the Sabres flexible depth in case of injury.  Total cap hit is about 67 mill for 23 players.

I trade for Varlomov again.  I also trade for Compher again, but given the other moves, I can see KA keeping Asplund.  This time I acquired Lars Eller from Washington for Fitzgerald.  The thought here is Lars is a good D zone center who can add offense, while Casey is expendable once I sign a couple of veteran D, especially given how well Bryson has played on the right side.  

I sign UFAs Jan Rutta and Ian Cole to two year deals and I also bring back Hinostroza and Pysyk for additional depth.  I also waive Bjork

The team looks something like this

Skinner Thompson Tuch

VO Mitts KO

Krebs Cozens Quinn

Girgensons Eller Compher

Hinostroza

Dahlin Jokiharju

Power Cole/Rutta

Samuelsson Bryson

Cole/Rutta Pysyk

Varlomov UPL

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/3109188

I have redone the prior team.  I concentrated on building more veteran depth including building what I think could be a very effective 3rd/4th line.  My goal here is by building a very good 3/4 line it might take the pressure off some of the kids and give the Sabres flexible depth in case of injury.  Total cap hit is about 67 mill for 23 players.

I trade for Varlomov again.  I also trade for Compher again, but given the other moves, I can see KA keeping Asplund.  This time I acquired Lars Eller from Washington for Fitzgerald.  The thought here is Lars is a good D zone center who can add offense, while Casey is expendable once I sign a couple of veteran D, especially given how well Bryson has played on the right side.  

I sign UFAs Jan Rutta and Ian Cole to two year deals and I also bring back Hinostroza and Pysyk for additional depth.  I also waive Bjork

The team looks something like this

Skinner Thompson Tuch

VO Mitts KO

Krebs Cozens Quinn

Girgensons Eller Compher

Hinostroza

Dahlin Jokiharju

Power Cole/Rutta

Samuelsson Bryson

Cole/Rutta Pysyk

Varlomov UPL

I like the idea of Compher.  Nothing against Eller, but I would like someone who clearly belongs in the top 6 where KO is and roll out Girgensons-Compher-Okposo as my 4th line.  Hinostroza and Asplund can be my next 2 forwards.

On Defence, I would break up Dahlin-Jokiharu without even blinking.  I don't know if you can get either Cole or Rutta, but they look like smart targets.

34 minutes ago, Curt said:

A team is going to require something in return for taking that on, no?

Absolutely, it’s a 7.8M cap hit until 25-26. The actual dollars are a lot less(only 6M in actual money paid over the remaining term), but it’s going to take quite a bit to get a team to invite that atrocity into their cap.  Unless someone plans to hover around the cap floor for the next four seasons. 

12 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Absolutely, it’s a 7.8M cap hit until 25-26. The actual dollars are a lot less(only 6M in actual money paid over the remaining term), but it’s going to take quite a bit to get a team to invite that atrocity into their cap.  Unless someone plans to hover around the cap floor for the next four seasons. 

Yeah, that's a non-starter IMHO unless Weber can return to full health and play, which would be fantastic for the Sabres but which I don't think is expected.

2 hours ago, sweetlou said:

hockey trades and seasoned vets

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/3111311

Trouba has a full NMC for the next two years.  It’s unlikely he’ll accept a trade to Buffalo, but you never know.  I’d also love to get Tkachuk, but why would a team that’s a Cup contender out West trade away it’s best player? 

2 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Minnesota has dead cap space totaling 12.7, 14.7, 14.7 million for the next three seasons. Acquiring Weber would give them 7.8 in LTIR Cap Space for three seasons. That’s probably worth a 2nd or 3rd Round Pick to them 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, sweetlou said:

hockey trades and seasoned vets

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/3111311

I'm sorry but that Calgary trade might be the worst trade I have ever seen in my entire life.

Since we have a bunch of CapFriendly Links here, I may as well add mine.

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/3110154

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Minnesota has dead cap space totaling 12.7, 14.7, 14.7 million for the next three seasons. Acquiring Weber would give them 7.8 in LTIR Cap Space for three seasons. That’s probably worth a 2nd or 3rd Round Pick to them 

Friedman raises the possibility than squashes it.

A lot of feedback to our podcast bit about Shea Weber’s contract and whether or not it would make sense for Minnesota. The answer, according to several capologists consulted for this blog, is no — and don’t expect the Wild to do it. “You do not want to be in long-term injury, over the cap, for years and years,” one said. “There’s nothing good about that.” It prevents you from accruing space, robs you of flexibility. (I didn’t realize you can’t trade for a player on LTIR without activating him first. That would be problematic for most.) There is also the question of whether or not Minnesota could put together a full roster before putting Weber’s contract on long-term at the start of the season. So, what seemed like a creative idea was anything but that.

But....

Don’t be surprised, however, if Weber’s $7.6 million cap hit for the next four seasons is traded to a team looking to hit the floor. It’s $6 million of actual cash, total.

53 minutes ago, dudacek said:

A lot of feedback to our podcast bit about Shea Weber’s contract and whether or not it would make sense for Minnesota. The answer, according to several capologists consulted for this blog, is no — and don’t expect the Wild to do it. “You do not want to be in long-term injury, over the cap, for years and years,” one said. “There’s nothing good about that.” It prevents you from accruing space, robs you of flexibility. (I didn’t realize you can’t trade for a player on LTIR without activating him first. That would be problematic for most.) There is also the question of whether or not Minnesota could put together a full roster before putting Weber’s contract on long-term at the start of the season. So, what seemed like a creative idea was anything but that.

But....

Don’t be surprised, however, if Weber’s $7.6 million cap hit for the next four seasons is traded to a team looking to hit the floor. It’s $6 million of actual cash, total.

I listened to this Radio Hit on the Jeff Marek Show about 45 minutes after My Post. Never mind on that one.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

But....

So the Coyotes?

I can’t fathom another team that will hover around the cap floor for the next four continuous seasons. But selling 5k seats a night, I guess it might fit the bill in terms of cash outlay versus cap cost. 

Edited by Porous Five Hole

Realistic options? 

I'd say no way guys like Subban or Letang come here, those guys will be on contenders for sure.

Re-sign Vinny Hinistroza 2 years 4M

Give RHD John Klingberg (DAL) a solid raise 6M per for 4 years

give Darcy Keumpfer a 2 year 6.5M per deal- the pay raise may be enough to get him here, Colorado re-signed Francouz so this would be the guy I'd target. If he won't sign here I'd go after Mikko Koskinen next, same contract.

re-sign Mark Pysyk 

They can also take on other teams salary cap dumps to get the rest of the floor. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.