GDT: Sabres at Knights Feb 1, 2022 10PM

spndnchz

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I think Vegas only has to clear about 5million in cap if I understand the math correctly. Martinez is on LTIR for 5.25 so they could still exceed the cap by that amount. They will need to make a move and I bet they wait until closer to the deadline to activate Eichel. March 21st in the deadline. 

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/golden-knights-alec-martinez-skating-monday/

Martinez looks like he is almost ready. Adding Eichel and Martinez will be big but removing over 10 million from the roster is going to be costly.

I wonder if Adams and Vegas have a back door  deal where Vegas kept an asset in Eichel’s absence and then shipped that player to Buffalo when Eichel was ready.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Wouldn't mind seeing Adams checking in to see if there is anything the Sabres can do to ease their cap 'pain' and get more future assets in return.

Dang it.  If only he'd stockpiled the team with $750k JAGs at the beginning of the year, we'd be in such good shape to help the Knights right now....

• Haha (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Wouldn't mind seeing Adams checking in to see if there is anything the Sabres can do to ease their cap 'pain' and get more future assets in return.

Looking at Vegas on CapFriendly it looks like 2 of Smith, Marchessault and Dadonov will have to go to make room. All 3 make around $5 million so 2 of them would clear enough space.

Be cool if Vegas sends Smith to Buffalo for futures, Buffalo retains salary and moves him to the Rags for young assets (Gallant loves Smith)

Or move 2 of them to Buffalo and they retain on both players and send them to contenders for assets.

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/golden-knights-alec-martinez-skating-monday/

Martinez looks like he is almost ready. Adding Eichel and Martinez will be big but removing over 10 million from the roster is going to be costly.

I wonder if Adams and Vegas have a back door  deal where Vegas kept an asset in Eichel’s absence and then shipped that player to Buffalo when Eichel was ready.

This was mentioned to me a while back, maybe in the Eichel thread or around the nhl, but I think Paccioretti is still out indefinitely and could be put on LTIR if and when Eichel comes back. That's like $7 million right there. In essence Kucherov Max instead of Jack. 

I found Tuch's comment in the Buffalo News odd, but maybe Terry needs to pay attention to it.   “And I’m really looking forward to seeing the look on some of our young guys’ faces.”’  We all know they created a good fun atmosphere there, but if the contrast is this extreme, maybe they need to find a way to change things locally a little more. 

Just give me another game of solid effort and compete from our side and I will be happy. 

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

This was mentioned to me a while back, maybe in the Eichel thread or around the nhl, but I think Paccioretti is still out indefinitely and could be put on LTIR if and when Eichel comes back. That's like $7 million right there. In essence Kucherov Max instead of Jack. 

I found Tuch's comment in the Buffalo News odd, but maybe Terry needs to pay attention to it.   “And I’m really looking forward to seeing the look on some of our young guys’ faces.”’  We all know they created a good fun atmosphere there, but if the contrast is this extreme, maybe they need to find a way to change things locally a little more. 

Just give me another game of solid effort and compete from our side and I will be happy. 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/golden-knights-max-pacioretty-joining-team-on-road-trip/amp/

Looks like Pacioretty is ready to return too. They have some heavy lifting to do hopefully Buffalo can help and gain assets in return.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

GMs matter.  So does having a historical precedent matter.  The GMs saw Vegas fleece several GMs that overthought the process that 1st go around.  When it was Seattle's turn, GMs actually realized that they would lose a middle 6 F, a 4/5 D-man, or an NHL backup goalie and that while it stung, it wouldn't really damage their own team in the grand scheme.

Had Seattle gotten 1st crack, it very well could've been Francis reaping the rewards of other GMs fear of losing that one guy they really didn't want to lose (for no apparently logical reason) making their brains go to mush and McPhee thinking about what might have been.

The GMs absolutely learned from the VGK expansion and both positioned their contracts better and avoided the side deals for picks. And the Seattle brass has also admitted they never dropped their asking prices for picks-for-cap space trades to bolster their futures. That's on them.

The other thing is Seattle was originally slated to enter in 2020, but pushed their launch back a year (in ... 2018 or early 2019?). That gave the GMs an additional season to get their cores and exposed lists set. Now -- that wasn't without some disadvantages -- the Sabres had to protect Dahlin and Joker in 2021... where they wouldn't have had to in the summer of '20.

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

This is an annoying season.  We've already had a couple of long breaks, and now we have a 10pm game followed by another week and a half of no Sabres games.

Cast a positive spin on it --- the break would have been even longer without Sabres games had the NHL gone to the Olympics. Instead, we're getting "free" COVID makeup games, a shorter break, and still get to see Olympic hockey with Power and Levi. It's win-win-win!

11 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

How do you do that when so many people have sworn off the Sabres?

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Not sure there is a fit there. They have multiple NTCs

I honestly have no idea how LV moves $10 from this roster for Martinez and Eichel.  All their bigger $ deals have NMC or M-NTCs. except Theodore, who I certain they won't trade.  I don't think they are moving on from Stone (NMC) or Patches (M-NTC) as they have been two of their best players when healthy.  I can see them as willing (wanting) to move Karlsson (4 more years left at 5.9) and Dadonov (I more year a 5), but both have M-NTC and limited market value at this point.  I don't KA is interested in either player.

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How do you do that when so many people have sworn off the Sabres?

This has been the most fun year of Sabres hockey in my opinion in over a decade (that bar was so low it was buried). We have an all nature blossoming of prospects starting to immerge and more in the pipe line for years to come. There is more that just hope, we can see the seedlings breaking through the soil.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

This has been the most fun year of Sabres hockey in my opinion in over a decade (that bar was so low it was buried). We have an all nature blossoming of prospects starting to immerge and more in the pipe line for years to come. There is more that just hope, we can see the seedlings breaking through the soil.

Agree. I feel the same way. Really enjoying this season (some of it anyway) watching a team that was declared dead and gone get up off the floor and show something.

Sadly most people just look at the scores and standings and make their judgements that way.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.