GDT: Sabres at Knights Feb 1, 2022 10PM

spndnchz

Really noticeable how unless we're on, the better teams are just faster and yes, stronger. I think Granato does need to look at what he's doing and certain players need to be getting less toi regardless if they take faceoffs well or are our only young rhd.

Vegas plays a style that we don't match up well with but you really see the gap in talent and in experience btw these teams. Lineup stability would help but that's a dream right now. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, SabresBillsFan said:

^ This, Buffalo’s defense isn’t good and Anderson looked like ***** besides the offense looking nonexistent. 

The defence is actually terrible. They won't take the body, they back up into the slot area giving up prime scoring positioning and they stick check. This has not changed under 3 separate coaches, so you're basically requiring your goaltender to consistantly stand on his head game in and game out. Unless the Sabres start really putting the puck in the net (even next season with their young talent if they come up) they will lose more than they'll win.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

He was indeed useless but I wish they didn't make that trade and just took Ullmark at the time. We'd maybe have better goaltending nowadays?

Or we would have worse goaltending because they rush UPL to the NHL or sign some slub like Hutton to a long term deal. That what if scenario can cut both ways. 

Imagine Hutton getting a 6 year deal instead of 3. 

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Really noticeable how unless we're on, the better teams are just faster and yes, stronger. I think Granato does need to look at what he's doing and certain players need to be getting less toi regardless if they take faceoffs well or are our only young rhd.

Vegas plays a style that we don't match up well with but you really see the gap in talent and in experience btw these teams. Lineup stability would help but that's a dream right now. 

I didn't watch the game but saw the clips. As you noted it was evident that Vegas has more talent and physically is stronger. When Vegas scored it seemed that the Sabres were scrambling while the opposition had structure. And as you point out the goalie deficiency can't be hidden. It has to be better addressed in the offseason. 

The Sabres have some young  players (Mitts, Quin) who are injured and some young players in the pipeline (Peterka, Power) who will soon be added to the roster. It's just going to take time to solidify an incomplete roster. It's apparent that when there is no margin for error for a thin team it is a vulnerable position to be in. That's where we are at.  

10 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It's kind of sad that the game basically ended 34 seconds in.  

Only if the team is mentally weak.  Lots of games start bad for a team and end in a win. They need to be ready.  Coaching matters. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, SabresBillsFan said:

^ This, I’m telling you folks this was the most disorganized team I have seen all season in T Mobile.

That's surprising because most of the stats and game flow is fairly even. Maybe one team cashed in their chances better than the other?

I'll post the graphics showing this later. The Postimage site seems to be down.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

23 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That's surprising because most of the stats and game flow is fairly even. Maybe one team cashed in their chances better than the other?

I'll post the graphics showing this later. The Postimage site seems to be down.

The Sabres defensive zone was a train wreck.  But so is VGK's.  They basically a left-wing lock kind of D where they bring 3 guys back in a line in reaction to offensive rushes.  The Sabres were stymied by that early but eventually figured out how to attack it and they even had sustained zone time in several instances.  The difference that isn't apparent in the stats is that VGK have been playing together longer, in a more established system, and many of their best players have good chemistry so they know where to be on the attack.

The Sabres had several good chances that could have been goals but were just that little bit off (or in the case of one chance, Tuch's stick broke when he shot wide open from the slot).

1 hour ago, SabresBillsFan said:

^ This, I’m telling you folks this was the most disorganized team I have seen all season in T Mobile.

Jury’s still out on Granato for me… but in all fairness… surprised we played at all given what a mess this road trip was between botched Covid tests, last minute roster replacements, injuries, travel problems, etc… Adams, coaching staff, and team leaders need to regroup before the 10th…

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

The Sabres defensive zone was a train wreck.  But so is VGK's.  They basically a left-wing lock kind of D where they bring 3 guys back in a line in reaction to offensive rushes.  The Sabres were stymied by that early but eventually figured out how to attack it and they even had sustained zone time in several instances.  The difference that isn't apparent in the stats is that VGK have been playing together longer, in a more established system, and many of their best players have good chemistry so they know where to be on the attack.

The Sabres had several good chances that could have been goals but were just that little bit off (or in the case of one chance, Tuch's stick broke when he shot wide open from the slot).

Postimages is finally working. Here's what I was talking about:

Screenshot-20220202-122402.jpg

Game flow charts by period:

Screenshot-20220202-122332.jpg

Screenshot-20220202-122341.jpg

Screenshot-20220202-122346.jpg

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.