GDT: Sabres at Knights Feb 1, 2022 10PM

spndnchz

26 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

"Craig Anderson wakes up in ice-filled bathtub with both kidneys removed."  😮

He'd probably still post a better sv% than Dell.

11 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

Nothing worse than a not warm bottom, IMO.

Unless it's a too warm bottom!

fire fiery butt GIF

5 hours ago, Zamboni said:

• This is the first of two meetings between the Sabres and Golden Knights this season. 
• Last meeting: Vegas defeated Buffalo 4-2 in Vegas on Feb. 28, 2020. 
• Next meeting: Friday, March 10 in Buffalo. 

• This is the seventh game all-time between Buffalo and Vegas; Buffalo has a 2-2-2 series record. 
• The Sabres are 0-2-1 on the road against the Golden Knights all-time.

• If they play tonight, Sabres forwards Alex Tuch and Peyton Krebs will face their former team, the Vegas Golden Knights, for the first time since being traded to Buffalo. 
• The Sabres acquired Tuch, Krebs, a top-10 protected 2022 first-round pick, and a 2023 second-round pick from Vegas in exchange for Jack Eichel and a 2023 third-round pick on Nov. 4, 2021. 

• Since making his Sabres debut on Dec. 29, Tuch has recorded 12 points (4+8) in 12 games, including seven points (3+4) in his last six contests. 
• Only three players in franchise history have ever had more points than Tuch in their first 12 games for the team after being acquired via trade: Doug Gilmour, 19 points (3+16), Pat LaFontaine, 14 points (6+8) and Ryan O'Reilly, 13 points (4+9). 
• Jeff Skinner (12 points, 6+6) is one of two Sabres other than Tuch (Steve Heinze) to record 12 points through their first 12 games after being acquired via trade. 

• Craig Anderson is one win away from the 297th victory of his NHL career, which would pass Ron Hextall for 40th all-time in NHL history. 

• If he dresses, tonight's game will be Rasmus Asplund's 100th career NHL game.

LaFontaine leaped into the hearts of Sabres fans because of that start.

Tuch has done similarly in my estimation. 

4 hours ago, sabrefanday1 said:

KInda hate how Vegas got such a sweetheart of a deal and how they got to pick so many good players while Seattle did not...should be interesting in March when Vegas comes to Buffalo and Jack should be playing by then (unless he gets hurt before which would not be a big surprise either). Hopefully the team will rally around Anderson and win this one. I do really like both Tuch and Krebs and hopefully when Vegas goes to shed 5 mil in space they throw us another good player...   

There were some good players exposed.  Domi, Namestnikov, Drouin, Duchene/Johansen, Voracek, Vanacek(who they traded back for a 2nd round pick), and Tarasenko.  

Honestly - they were like 1 season further along and teams were able to plan more effectively than the Vegas one.  Teams also incented them heavily to take certian players which looking back was not wise. 

Anaheim - to keep vatanen gave them theodore to take stoner.  

Columbus - Gave up a ton to make them take Karlsson. Korpisalo and Anderson were who they protected.

Florida - Marchessault and Smith for a 5th round pick.  

Minnesota - Tuch and Haula for a 3rd round pick. Protect Dumba.  

Islanders - Brannstrom a 2nd and others to take Berube.  Brannstrom was the trade chip for Mark Stone.  They wanted to protect nelson and Dehan.

Winnipeg - Sent them the first they used on suzuki. That was the chip to get Pacioretty.

Some serious mistakes were made there.  

Edited by Drag0nDan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hawerchuk said:

Any update on Mitts? This guy just cannot stay healthy, my god. Too early to cut/waive this dude or what? Hate to say that because we hardly ever see him play, but man, its getting old.

Good grief. He’s 3 months into being 23. Injuries happen. Yes it’s too early to “cut/waive this dude”.

• Thanks (+1) 2

2 hours ago, woods-racer said:

This has been the most fun year of Sabres hockey in my opinion in over a decade (that bar was so low it was buried). We have an all nature blossoming of prospects starting to immerge and more in the pipe line for years to come. There is more that just hope, we can see the seedlings breaking through the soil.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Agree. I feel the same way. Really enjoying this season (some of it anyway) watching a team that was declared dead and gone get up off the floor and show something.

Sadly most people just look at the scores and standings and make their judgements that way.

I'm with you guys on this.

Results be damned.

The kids enthusiastically showing up for work and working together to get better every day is what matters right now. 

The guys who are here, want to be here.

From the front office new hires through the locker room attendants(probably). 

This time just feels different, more organic.

I really believe they are building it the right way and setting themselves up for year over year long term success.

The JAGs will soon give way to prospects(and have already) The coming years will see even more prospects challenging for their own ice time on this team. 

I'm here for that.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Good grief. He’s 3 months into being 23. Injuries happen. Yes it’s too early to “cut/waive this dude”.

Think the point was Mittelstadt seems injury prone… Doubt the Medical Staff would have cleared him to play if he wasn’t fully recovered… Then he’s out again within a handful of games… Talent counts for nothing if it’s not on the ice… Bears watching… 

• Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Norcal said:

I'm with you guys on this.

Results be damned.

The kids enthusiastically showing up for work and working together to get better every day is what matters right now. 

The guys who are here, want to be here.

From the front office new hires through the locker room attendants(probably). 

This time just feels different, more organic.

I really believe they are building it the right way and setting themselves up for year over year long term success.

The JAGs will soon give way to prospects(and have already) The coming years will see even more prospects challenging for their own ice time on this team. 

I'm here for that.

+1 to the list.

I see a team capable of entertaining me, that looks like it can actually manufacture enough offence that I haven’t given up hope when the other team scores 2.

It’s always crest on the front before name on the back, but I like cheering for Kyle-Tuch-Dahlin-Cozens-Krebs and a few others more than I have than most players who have passed through here over the past decade.

And I particularly like the coach. I think Donnie Granato gets it. And the organization is practicing what they’ve preached. They’ve picked a path and they are following it, noise be damned.

I see whining, and complaining and entitlement being replaced by a nose-to-the-grindstone, stick-together, we’re-gonna-overcome attitude. When they get better - it seems inevitable to me that it’s when, not if - they will have earned it.

This season does not feel like more of the same, it feels like the start of a change.

Hopefully this time they get it right.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thanks (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, dudacek said:

+1 to the list.

I see a team capable of entertaining me, that looks like it can actually manufacture enough offence that I haven’t given up hope when the other team scores 2.

It’s always crest on the front before name on the back, but I like cheering for Kyle-Tuch-Dahlin-Cozens-Krebs and a few others more than I have than most players who have passed through here over the past decade.

And I particularly like the coach. I think Donnie Granato gets it. And the organization is practicing what they’ve preached. They’ve picked a path and they are following it, noise be damned.

I see whining, and complaining and entitlement being replaced by a nose-to-the-grindstone, stick-together, we’re-gonna-overcome attitude. When they get better - it seems inevitable to me that it’s when, not if - they will have earned it.

This season does not feel like more of the same, it feels like the start of a change.

Hopefully this time they get it right.

It’s hard to get the naysayers to buy into this.  Either you have this in you or you don’t.  I can’t blame fans being at their wits end. It’s been a long miserable decade or so.  

I’m choosing to buy in.  The likes of Tuch, Krebs, Dahlin, Samuelsson, Cozens, Quinn, Peterka, Power, Johnson, Portillo, Levi and hopefully Mitts, Olofsson, and all that draft capital are the foundation of this team for a decade. 

Edited by inkman
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Me too.  Love watching this kid play.  Pretty sure he’d be able to upgrade from Bjork in the top 9 

No doubt. I do think he's getting valuable ice time and experience on the farm but a couple games wouldn't hurt. 

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Sabres bounce back with a win …

Sabres … 4

Knights … 3

Tuch, Krebs, or Dahlin with a goal

Dude.  Tuch, Krebs AND Dahlin with goals!

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Oof.

See ya next season, Casey.  We're gonna need ya for realz.

2 hours ago, Drag0nDan said:

There were some good players exposed.  Domi, Namestnikov, Drouin, Duchene/Johansen, Voracek, Vanacek(who they traded back for a 2nd round pick), and Tarasenko.  

Honestly - they were like 1 season further along and teams were able to plan more effectively than the Vegas one.  Teams also incented them heavily to take certian players which looking back was not wise. 

Anaheim - to keep vatanen gave them theodore to take stoner.  

Columbus - Gave up a ton to make them take Karlsson. Korpisalo and Anderson were who they protected.

Florida - Marchessault and Smith for a 5th round pick.  

Minnesota - Tuch and Haula for a 3rd round pick. Protect Dumba.  

Islanders - Brannstrom a 2nd and others to take Berube.  Brannstrom was the trade chip for Mark Stone.  They wanted to protect nelson and Dehan.

Winnipeg - Sent them the first they used on suzuki. That was the chip to get Pacioretty.

Some serious mistakes were made there.  

Let's not forget we sent them a 6th round pick and Carrier to protect Ulmark. In hindsight they should have let Vegas take Linus which would have forced us to address goaltending years ago.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.