Casey Mittelstadt Ongoing Injury Thread

Brawndo

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I've thought Casey looked to be labouring since his most recent return.

Mostly took that as being out-of-shape. Now I'm wondering if he's been rushed back.

I noticed this too. Something about his skating stride was off imo. I was wondering if he was maybe wearing a brace of some kind that we weren't being told about. He got gassed too, which was understandable, but there was definitely something else going on. 

Not knowing what the actual injury is/was it's hard to say but many possibles could have pulled or swelled up. or he's just made of glass. 

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What's the word on Will Butcher, or do we not care?

I care about his well being as a person and hope he returns to full health asap. 

As far as caring about him as a hockey player, I don’t ever want to see him in a Sabres uniform again. He should go to the A where he can carve out a lengthy, if not legendary career as a minor leaguer. He’s just not an NHL talent. No shame in that. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I care about his well being as a person and hope he returns to full health asap. 

As far as caring about him as a hockey player, I don’t ever want to see him in a Sabres uniform again. He should go to the A where he can carve out a lengthy, if not legendary career as a minor leaguer. He’s just not an NHL talent. No shame in that. 

This

17 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What's the word on Will Butcher, or do we not care?

I care.

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

As far as caring about him as a hockey player, I don’t ever want to see him in a Sabres uniform again. 

This is part of the lack of interest for Butcher vs. Mitts who could be a top-9 center for years to come.

I think also it's part of the mystery. We know why Butcher left the ice and we know he's got a LBI and will be either week-to-week or month-to-month or out for the season. With Mitts... he was pulled for looking off. That could just be altitude sickness, that could be scar tissue from surgery, or it could be back in Vegas, or after the All-Star Break, or it could be terrible news. We shall see.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

My question about caring is based on there not being a Butcher injury thread.

Possibly when the team releases an official tweet or there's a direct message on his status. The Lysowski tweet you've posted even had his status buried. Or he might just absorbed into the Injury List thread.    This Mitts thread started 2 weeks back when he first returned from surgery.

19 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I care.

This is part of the lack of interest for Butcher vs. Mitts who could be a top-9 center for years to come.

I think also it's part of the mystery. We know why Butcher left the ice and we know he's got a LBI and will be either week-to-week or month-to-month or out for the season. With Mitts... he was pulled for looking off. That could just be altitude sickness, that could be scar tissue from surgery, or it could be back in Vegas, or after the All-Star Break, or it could be terrible news. We shall see.

What is LBI? Is it lower back injury?

59 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Do we even know his complete injury situation?  I think the feeling was he got slashed in the beginning of the year and it messed up his wrist.  Maybe he's got a rib issue too which, as anyone who's broken or bruised ribs knows, never seems to get better you have to just learn to function through the pain, until months later when you realize it doesn't hurt anymore.  That could be an explanation why he's looked so gassed, particularly at altitude.

If that's the case, then he shouldn't be out there.     

When you're gassed you make mistakes and are more susceptible to injury.   

One thing is becoming clear... the Sabres trainers are poor at deciding when a player should be cleared to play.      

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

If that's the case, then he shouldn't be out there.     

When you're gassed you make mistakes and are more susceptible to injury.   

One thing is becoming clear... the Sabres trainers are poor at deciding when a player should be cleared to play.      

One this is becoming clear:  No one on this forum really knows what's going on.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

4 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Do we even know his complete injury situation?  I think the feeling was he got slashed in the beginning of the year and it messed up his wrist.  Maybe he's got a rib issue too which, as anyone who's broken or bruised ribs knows, never seems to get better you have to just learn to function through the pain, until months later when you realize it doesn't hurt anymore.  That could be an explanation why he's looked so gassed, particularly at altitude.

Taro T

Posted Thursday at 02:35 PM

On 1/26/2022 at 9:24 PM, LGR4GM said:

I thought it was a wrist after a slash

He was definitely originally injured on that Gallagher play.  We presumed it was wrist, but he came back later during a stoppage & tested his skating but never returned.  As it was always described as an Upper Body injury, presumed it was in fact the wrist.  When he went out injured again and this time got surgery, Granato intimated it was the same general injury as the original one.  So, again several of us presumed it was wrist again.

Am now, based upon his skating 2 nights ago, assuming it was an abdominal hernia (aka a sports hernia) that kept him out.  If so, he'll likely seem a little slow for a couple of weeks & then look more like himself after that, though probably not 100% until next season.

Durn HIIPA Laws keeping us from knowing for certain as am pretty sure at least 1 poster here knows what the injury actually was/is.ast

----------------------------------------------------------------

This is a cut/paste of Taro's summation of his injury before Sunday.

Edited by woods-racer

3 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

According to my source it's a wrist injury and his agent is pressing Sabre's management to allow his client to have AWR surgery.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• nfreeman changed the title to Casey Mittelstadt Ongoing Injury Thread

Honestly shut down any kid until they are 100% ready to go, even if that sidelines them for the season.

It's strange but sometimes I think kids benefit from being off the ice or adversity.  Mitts and Thompson got sent down and came back better players.  Thompson and Quinn missed almost entire seasons recently with injury and came back better players.

I think the good kids learn from the adversity.  Thompson and Quinn used their rehabs to get stronger and to come back more mature and frankly more driven.  I think that also applies to Mitts and Thompson when they were sent down.  They simply couldn't rely on their skill level or size to beat opponents.  That had to work to get better.  They used being sent down as fuel their desire to get better.

I believe that Mitts will use this lost season to get stronger this off-season and come back a better player.  IMHO management should give him a few weeks to work into game shape (however long he needs) and then and only then bring him back.  

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It's strange but sometimes I think kids benefit from being off the ice or adversity.  Mitts and Thompson got sent down and came back better players.  Thompson and Quinn missed almost entire seasons recently with injury and came back better players..  

Funny thing is, Granato said this almost verbatim.

Cant remember the context. Might have been Mitts, but I think it was Quinn.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Funny thing is, Granato said this almost verbatim.

Cant remember the context. Might have been Mitts, but I think it was Quinn.

It does prove that great minds think alike.  

I would like to see the quote and it doesn't surprise me.  I think it gives the kids a chance for some perspective and an opportunity to work on deficient areas of their game.

• Haha (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It does prove that great minds think alike.  

I would like to see the quote and it doesn't surprise me.  I think it gives the kids a chance for some perspective and an opportunity to work on deficient areas of their game.

Isn't it really a fancy spin on saying that we rush these "kids" into the NHL too quickly? Not just us, but the league as a whole. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.