Casey Mittelstadt Ongoing Injury Thread

Brawndo

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Honestly shut down any kid until they are 100% ready to go, even if that sidelines them for the season.

It's strange but sometimes I think kids benefit from being off the ice or adversity.  Mitts and Thompson got sent down and came back better players.  Thompson and Quinn missed almost entire seasons recently with injury and came back better players.

I think the good kids learn from the adversity.  Thompson and Quinn used their rehabs to get stronger and to come back more mature and frankly more driven.  I think that also applies to Mitts and Thompson when they were sent down.  They simply couldn't rely on their skill level or size to beat opponents.  That had to work to get better.  They used being sent down as fuel their desire to get better.

I believe that Mitts will use this lost season to get stronger this off-season and come back a better player.  IMHO management should give him a few weeks to work into game shape (however long he needs) and then and only then bring him back.  

The only wat to get into game shape is to play games. No other way. No bike riding, practicing, running gets you into game shape. 

He plays or he doesn't get into game shape. If you have ever competed at a high level in any sport you now this to be fact.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, woods-racer said:

The only wat to get into game shape is to play games. No other way. No bike riding, practicing, running gets you into game shape. 

He plays or he doesn't get into game shape. If you have ever competed at a high level in any sport you now this to be fact.

He shouldn't have to play himself into game shape.  DG said he didn't know how much he could play him in his first game back and that he wasn't going to play him in the 2nd game but did.  Getting into game shape vs playing at NHL speed are two different things.   I think it's pretty clear that he came back to soon, again.  

6 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

That's too specific. 😇 

This season the Sabres PR team has three classifications of injury: upper body, lower body, and COVID.

If a player has a debilitating case of hemorrhoids is it described as a mbi (middle body injury)? ☠️ 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

The Surgeon Casey is seeing is not affiliated with the Sabres and isn’t located in New York State. 

Figured he was based out of CO.  It seems, going back at least to the early '90's, that the bulk of the sports medicine surgeons set up shop out there.

So, that where he's based or is it elsewhere?

10 hours ago, nfreeman said:

So do we know what kind of operation Mitts had?  Was it for a sports hernia?

If so, I hate to say it, but it kinda seems like it might be time to shut him down for the season.

Reading the stuff above and going back to the surgeon this is what I was thinking right away. Would explain the awkward skating stride he had.

I had one of these a few years back, and I'm no young pro athlete, but it was supposed to be all good in a few weeks but I got scar tissue messing with nerve endings and occasionally it still gives me a stabbing reminder it was there. Trapped nerves and similar aspects can happen to anybody with those though. If that's it he's going to have to take up yoga and get therapy and break that scar tissue down. As a young athlete I don't think it's a long term problem. If that's it. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Reading the stuff above and going back to the surgeon this is what I was thinking right away. Would explain the awkward skating stride he had.

I had one of these a few years back, and I'm no young pro athlete, but it was supposed to be all good in a few weeks but I got scar tissue messing with nerve endings and occasionally it still gives me a stabbing reminder it was there. Trapped nerves and similar aspects can happen to anybody with those though. If that's it he's going to have to take up yoga and get therapy and break that scar tissue down. As a young athlete I don't think it's a long term problem. If that's it. 

Can't he just where the pants like everyone else?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.