Does Rasmus Dahlin need a change of scenery?

inkman

Does Rasmus Dahlin need a change of scenery?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think # 26 needs?

• A fresh start somewhere else without the pressure of being a first overall pick
    • Time to develop, he’s only 21.

3 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

i can't get over the fact that 1 in 4 people would give up on him at 21 when there are countless examples of guys took until at least till 24 to become legit 1Dmen.

If you are looking for Dahlin to be a shutdown all situation type, you are going to end up extremely disappointed. 

If you want him to turn into a 70pt plus Dman, who will always will always be susceptible tp  turnovers and defensive lapses due to the high risk, high reward type of game he plays, then just be patient.

I did choose time to develop but the eye test right now to me is he's too much of a liability.  Not sure what the answer is, maybe a return to sheltered minutes.  Personally I think the kid lost his mojo and he needs to get his swagger back.  

7 hours ago, pi2000 said:

This is nonsense, he has a 3 year contract.   

Close this thread until summer of 2023.

Yes I agree.  We would all be REALLY upset if he had signed an 8 year contract in the off season.  He's on a reasonable 3 year bridge deal.  It's in our best interests to see how he develops this season and into next season.  If he is still struggling at the end of next season then you consider a trade.  We saw with Ristolainen that teams blamed the Sabres organization for his struggles and that the trade value was high.  Dahlin will keep his value too, stay patient and get him playing with a strong mentor and let's see him develop.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

These are the 21 year old Seasons for Hedman, Karlsson and Hamilton. Hedman was the only one to turn 21 during the season.

63FC48FE-CE05-42BE-A868-46435608B9F8.jpeg

164BD628-8826-4E99-B4EF-3B51C04EAE6E.jpeg

680FF5DD-7F42-4E9E-8243-462AA62C49DC.jpeg

I wonder how much that could be construed by their team and their respective D partner? Karlsson had Methot while Hedman had Stralman as d savvy partners.

11 hours ago, inkman said:

Since all threads are getting polluted with Dahlin discourse, let’s bring it all in. What you say?  

I personally think a change of scenery might be in order.  He’s wearing out his welcome here. Once they get reliable goaltending, he’s going to cost them games.  Find another teams high draft pick that’s also struggling and do the old swaparoo.  

Sabres draft defensemen in premium rounds, they don't really pan out and the Sabres ship them out.  Never ending process.

4 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Is this thread an argument for Power to be in Rochester for a good part of next season ? 

No. You want to start that thread? Go for it. Then everyone can give their unwavering opinion and convince no one to change their opinion, no matter how much they type 😂

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Is this thread an argument for Power to be in Rochester for a good part of next season ? 

I think Power works his way up to top pairing with Dahiln by the all star break next year. Samuelsson and Joki on the 2nd pair and Jonnson earns a call-up miseason, never to bo back  down and plays with Bryson. I that's a cool young core, and they developed chemistry that will be good enough for a bubble team next year. 

Edited by Hank

7 hours ago, Hank said:

I think Power works his way up to top pairing with Dahiln by the all star break next year. Samuelsson and Joki on the 2nd pair and Jonnson earns a call-up miseason, never to bo back  down and plays with Bryson. I that's a cool young core, and they developed chemistry that will be good enough for a bubble team next year. 

No veterans.  I think they need to bring in some help.  Johnson stays down.   Bryson is a 7.   Bring in a few steady vets.  

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So when does Granato say enough mistakes? Is it fair to other Sabres like Butcher and R2 who get sat sent down for poor play while the golden child gets a free pass? When does Dahlin endure even one consequence for his play?

I guess I missed the part where Will Butcher and R2 were leading the team in assists. Those fellows contribute poor play, with no positives. Dahlin contributes some poor play, mixed with a lot of good play - it's just the good play doesn't count because it doesn't live up to what people were told to expect. 

- - - 

Sabres twitter, and the usual suspects on it, hate Dahlin now and the advanced stats gurus are definitely singing their tune (and it's creeping in on here now, too) - but Sabres twitter always likes to dial in the focus on one player because they can't handle the fact the roster, as a whole, isn't good enough

I've never seen a group so focused on factoring in context yet find a way to basically completely lose the plot, and said context, while doing so. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Hank said:

Lots of prospective talent there but I'd guess it's unlikely they run a D with 5 left shot guys, two on their off-hand. 

24 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I guess I missed the part where Will Butcher and R2 were leading the team in assists. Those fellows contribute poor play, with no positives. Dahlin contributes some poor play, mixed with a lot of good play - it's just the good play doesn't count because it doesn't live up to what people were told to expect. 

- - - 

Sabres twitter, and the usual suspects on it, hate Dahlin now and the advanced stats gurus are definitely singing their tune (and it's creeping in on here now, too) - but Sabres twitter always likes to dial in the focus on one player because they can't handle the fact the roster, as a whole, isn't good enough

I've never seen a group so focused on factoring in context yet find a way to basically completely lose the plot, and said context, while doing so. 

Butcher is 26 and doesn't have some development curve to be worried about.

Ruotsolainen is 24 and probably should be a winger. But again how big is his dev curve? 

Dahlin is 21 and is contributing offensively even if his defense is offensive. You either force him to deal with it now or you give up on developing him. I would keep running Dahlin out there and let him keep making mistakes and correct them in practice because I think Dahlin needs to face adversity and we need to know if he will/can overcome it. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 3

^Agree, I'll also point out, it seems only right I give Adams an early "kudos" on deciding to bridge Dahlin, allowing us to work through this with a little less pressure than we would be under a LT deal, particularly after I've skewered a previous GM for bridging Reinhart when it *didn't* work out. 

I like Dahlin's LT chances of becoming quite a good player, but I'll admit I was probably wrong in wanting to commit LT this summer. 

18 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Article from 2013   Hedman 4 seasons in the NHL and 23 years old 

"

The Tampa Bay Lightning bought into the hype, and drafted Hedman ahead of players like Matt Duchene and Evander Kane.

Post-Draft Fallout

Hedman has been in the NHL for four seasons now. 2013-14 will be his fifth in the league, and while he's been a minute-muncher in Tampa, he hasn't even come close to providing the kind of offensive spark many hoped he would.

The Hockey News thought that Hedman had some offensive upside. So did ESPN. And while the Lighting have been one of the most explosive offensive teams in the league over the last few seasons, Hedman has yet to cash in.

Through 258 games played, he's notched 89 points. While posting 20 points in a season isn't bad for a defenseman, it's likely that the Lightning would take one of the players they passed on at this point if they had a do-over."

Well, anyone can write anything -- just because someone published this doesn't mean that credible hockey people were thinking this way.  Where was this published?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Butcher is 26 and doesn't have some development curve to be worried about.

Ruotsolainen is 24 and probably should be a winger. But again how big is his dev curve? 

Dahlin is 21 and is contributing offensively even if his defense is offensive. You either force him to deal with it now or you give up on developing him. I would keep running Dahlin out there and let him keep making mistakes and correct them in practice because I think Dahlin needs to face adversity and we need to know if he will/can overcome it. 

Those who succeed the most, fail the most. Let the kid fall down. 

29 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Well, anyone can write anything -- just because someone published this doesn't mean that credible hockey people were thinking this way.  Where was this published?

Bleacher Report, by Franke Steele, who now works for The Hockey Writers. A publication more less equivalent to the ones touting Dahlin as Potvin

Should be noted that the article is littered with awful projections lol

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I guess the "Fire Granato" thread can't be far behind this

I think Granato has done a masterful job 

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Those who succeed the most, fail the most. Let the kid fall down. 

Dahlin will be a 7 times Norris trophy winner with the amount of fail we’ve seen in his game.  

12 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

No.  Power should get a tryout.  He should then go where he can contribute and develop, just like everyone else.  

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Bleacher Report, by Franke Steele, who now works for The Hockey Writers. A publication more less equivalent to the ones touting Dahlin as Potvin

Should be noted that the article is littered with awful projections lol

Holy waste of time and pixels batman!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.