Does Rasmus Dahlin need a change of scenery?

inkman

Does Rasmus Dahlin need a change of scenery?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think # 26 needs?

• A fresh start somewhere else without the pressure of being a first overall pick
    • Time to develop, he’s only 21.

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

They absolutely should be rolling the 3 pairs (provided Butcher isn't part of 1) as at this moment they have 3 3rd pairing tandems.

Would be nice to see them start to specialize the F lines rather than having hodgepodges playing all ES situations as well.  At least until they get out of this funk.  (Realizing, their scoring isn't in a funk, but the overall game is.) 

Goaltending should be able to steal a game to break long losing streaks. So should scoring 4 goals in a game. But right now our defense/goaltending is so out of whack we could easily spiral like we did last year once Ullmark was hurt. Thankfully, this year we don't have Hall or Staal as veterans fully checked out.

To the bolded -- This is verging into its own thread: a Bridge to (Friar) Tuch, when we'll be able to hopefully evaluate our forward lines from January-to-Trade Deadline (or Olympic Break if it happens). What do we do in the meantime until Tuch returns to break these losing streaks? I like your thought on a bit more specialization. Get Girgs and Okposo back together. And whether it's Cozens or Eakin may not matter as much as just having a line we can trust to cycle and turn momentum. But I'd tend toward Eakin with the As, and Cozens back with the speed line.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have been pleasantly surprised by his & Jokiharju's play since being reunited.

Don't recall a single odd-man rush they've given up which was their most glaring flaw in the past.  They still have issues in their own end at times, but with getting competent goaltending they aren't compounding the issues by running around until everything is chaos which typically results in a goal against.

4 games seems to be the usual shelf life for Dahlin & X being effective, so the Columbus game will be interesting, but with their history maybe they'll be able to keep this rolling.  When they had to start putting Butcher back into the lineup, would not have broken up the Dahlin Pysyk pairing as it was working fairly well.  But Pysyk has been their steadiest D-man, so it made sense to put him w/ the shakiest if they weren't going to be matching D-pairings.  Once again, it looks like Granato knows what he's doing and his patience may pay off.  IF this pairing can keep from going back to where they were - overtrying to create offense and instead can remain solid, that would change the calculus of what needs to be brought in over the summer.  Still believe they need a couple of vets on the D unit to steady it, but maybe they can get away w/ just 1.

• Like (+1) 1

His defensive play will always be the question. I see everytime he scores a goal some poster on here writes something like "I was told he was a bust". His offensive play has gotten better but I still see the same mistakes, like falling down the other night and creating the odd man rush or in the Pens game on the 2nd goal he was out of position basically not taking anyone and it's a common theme. I wouldn't give up on him yet but he needs to be paired with a solid defensive defenseman and I don't think we have that player yet imo.

36 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

His defensive play will always be the question. I see everytime he scores a goal some poster on here writes something like "I was told he was a bust". His offensive play has gotten better but I still see the same mistakes, like falling down the other night and creating the odd man rush or in the Pens game on the 2nd goal he was out of position basically not taking anyone and it's a common theme. I wouldn't give up on him yet but he needs to be paired with a solid defensive defenseman and I don't think we have that player yet imo.

Pretty much every Sabre on the ice, including Dahlin could have played that McGinn goal better.

But singling out Dahlin for a goal that pinballed off two players directly on to a 3rd player’s stick off an original shot taken by a man that 2 backcheckers failed to pick up, while Thompson and Skinner were both closer to the goalscorer, and Subban is sliding out of his net and into the corner is exactly the kind of irrational finger-pointing I’m talking about.

https://www.nhl.com/video/mcginn-finally-puts-puck-home/t-326244582/c-9939113

Watch how fast that play unfolds in real time, then watch the slo-mo and how perfectly the puck bounces for the Pens.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 4

30 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Dahlin is not a lockdown defenseman. He will never be because that type of defensive play is not who he is as a player. He is more of an offensive-minded player who moves the puck and creates offensive opportunities for others. And he is a player who can skate and move the puck out of his zone quickly. That in itself helps the team go on the offense but also helps the team defensively by forcing the team out of the offensive zone and putting them in a defensive posture. 

The mistake I believe you and others are making in evaluating him is in how you are characterizing him as a player. Dahlin has tremendous skating and offensive skills. He's not a banger or much of a clear-out net player. That's not his game. When you have a player with certain exceptional attributes you have to put him in a position where his talents are accentuated, and his limitations are minimized.   

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Loved his reaction to tying it up last night.

He cares. There is nothing more that I want to see this year than him giving a big middle finger to the irrational hatred.

If it exists to any extent, the dislike (hatred is a strong word) is mild to say the least. It's possible Dahlin isn't even aware of it. He doesn't read this board or any board (can't prove it, but would be shocked), and I bet he's smart about one thing: stay off Twitter comments. With respect, you can shove this strawman in a sack.

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

If it exists to any extent, the dislike (hatred is a strong word) is mild to say the least. It's possible Dahlin isn't even aware of it. He doesn't read this board or any board (can't prove it, but would be shocked), and I bet he's smart about one thing: stay off Twitter comments. With respect, you can shove this strawman in a sack.

Wasn’t really talking about Dahlin’s personal feelings, more my own.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2021 at 8:49 AM, dudacek said:

Ras now tied for 14th in scoring among NHL defencemen, on par with or ahead of Heiskanen, Hamilton, Werenski, Burns, Chabot, Karlsson, Klingberg, Krug, Letang, Dumba and McAvoy among others.

Ya, but his defensive game isn't as good as any of those players. Maybe Chabot, he's kind of sucked this year. The rest are ahead of him, and some are way ahead. 

I don't want to ditch Dahlin, but I do think it's time we stop thinking of him as a franchise top guy, forget he was #1 overall, and just consider him a second pairing D man. An offensive defenseman with defensive shortcomings/liabilities. Take the pressure off and just let him be that guy. 

25 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Ya, but his defensive game isn't as good as any of those players. Maybe Chabot, he's kind of sucked this year. The rest are ahead of him, and some are way ahead. 

I don't want to ditch Dahlin, but I do think it's time we stop thinking of him as a franchise top guy, forget he was #1 overall, and just consider him a second pairing D man. An offensive defenseman with defensive shortcomings/liabilities. Take the pressure off and just let him be that guy. 

Neither of us will remember this exchange, but i expect that 10 years from now — assuming Dahlin plays on better teams than he has — Dahlin will be held in higher regard than every one of these guys save Karlsson.

Edited by dudacek

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Neither of us will remember this exchange, but i expect that 10 years from now — assuming Dahlin plays on better teams than he has — Dahlin will be held in higher regard than every one of these guys save Karlsson.

That is a lofty expectation/prediction. Power might be, Dahlin will not. 

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

He’s 21.  When he’s 24 he’ll be a Norris nominee 

9 hours ago, mphs mike said:

Wow, just wow.

Dahlin may be Phil housley, the player when he’s done. It’s time for him to show something steady inside his own blue line

The past couple games, Dahlin has made some savvy plays on defense, thinking about the takeaway/flip out to Thompson for a goal against the Devils, and a nice physical play against Barzal that I don’t think many if any of our other D could make. He still needs to be more consistent, but the ability is there.

10 hours ago, mphs mike said:

Wow, just wow.

Dahlin may be Phil housley, the player when he’s done. It’s time for him to show something steady inside his own blue line

I’ve been critical of Dahlin's defensive play, but the seemingly absent minded gaffes have not been present in any notable quantity of late. Progress.

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

A fantastic effort tonight, squandered in a mediocre Sabre performance, and virtually unnoticed by a jaded fan base.

Donnie at least appreciated what he brought, and has been bringing.

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/buffalo-sabres-san-jose-sharks-recap-highlights-rasmus-dahling/c-329539882

Loved his game tonight. He stood out for all the right reasons. 

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

A fantastic effort tonight, squandered in a mediocre Sabre performance, and virtually unnoticed by a jaded fan base.

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/buffalo-sabres-san-jose-sharks-recap-highlights-rasmus-dahling/c-329539882

If only Dahlin were a Sabre... odd phrasing there. 

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

8 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

If only Dahlin were a Sabre... odd phrasing there. 

I’m not sure who Meatballs is talking to.  The 50% of his Dmen who aren’t legit top 6 NHL D?  Butcher, Prow and to a lesser extent Miller aren’t the answer.  I hope that was Prow’s last game as a Sabre. He’s just not an NHL player.  It’s not really a secret. Dude is 29 and got his first and only sniff with massive injuries and COVID protocol. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.