Getting to know Peyton Krebs

WildCard

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Once again, and for the last time, I wasn't saying Krebs was LIKE Lazar in terms of style/skills, just saying in terms of draft spot and expectation upon entering the league, they were similar. Lazar never lived up to it but later found a role bottom end. Thus, the expectation for Krebs is there, but temper it. He might, he might not. 

Now please stop nitpicking. Its pointless. 

I'll vouch for your argument re: expectation. The expectations for Lazar were indeed pretty darn high, particularly after he captained the canadian world junior hockey team (9 points, 7 games, slightly outproducing what Krebs accomplished in his year) in 14-15, a year both McDavid and Reinhart were on the team 

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

For fun, perused a list of the top NHL prospects in 2014, a year after Lazar had been taken.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2110101-ranking-the-top-50-nhl-prospects-after-the-2014-draft

He's listed 19th overall here, ahead of such names as...Ehlers, Vasilevski, Gaudreau, Larkin, and Mark Stone

lol

14th overall on ESPN's list

https://www.espn.com/nhl/insider/story/_/id/11323131/top-100-prospects-1-50-nhl

29 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Once again, and for the last time, I wasn't saying Krebs was LIKE Lazar in terms of style/skills, just saying in terms of draft spot and expectation upon entering the league, they were similar. Lazar never lived up to it but later found a role bottom end. Thus, the expectation for Krebs is there, but temper it. He might, he might not. 

I'm afraid you're stuck with this one, sir.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I'll vouch for your argument re: expectation. The expectations for Lazar were indeed pretty darn high, particularly after he captained the canadian world junior hockey team (9 points, 7 games, slightly outproducing what Krebs accomplished in his year) in 14-15, a year both McDavid and Reinhart were on the team 

Agree with you on the Lazar hype. i was among those buying in.

He's a pretty good example of how the WJC and being drafted by a Canadian team can tend to inflate the stock of some players.

If nothing was different about Peyton Krebs except he had been a Canucks or a Flames picks, there would have been a lot more excitement in the hockey world about him coming over in the Eichel trade.

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

I expect more from Krebs than Lazar. Krebs was a better prospect coming out of the draft. 

Also you must definitely did and are comparing Krebs to Lazar. 

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

I have considered Krebs, JJ and Quinn and second line NHL players. Quinn may be a first line NHLer. 

Would agree w/ this take.

Getting to the comparables, would consider Krebs to be a smaller version of a poor man's Adam Oates.  

While it would be silly to expect all 4 C's that are in the system to be 2C quality, it isn't out of the question.  Considering 2 of them are top 10 picks & the other 2 were the key prospect back for a 1C, they have the pedigree to pull it off.  And considering each has a very distinctive style, once they hit their prime, they could effectively center 3 2nd line (+(?)) quality lines with the 4th C being a winger helping them have 3 true 2nd line quality (+(?)) lines with a lot of matchup flexibility.   

Actually, really interested in seeing what these kids can do next year as we should get some occasional glimpses of what this team will be that following year.  (Still frustrated that they've retooled so often that it took 11 years to be at this point.  Spilt milk.)

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, jsb said:

He can’t say he wasn’t warned that the hopium 💩 was addicting!!

Thankfully my drugs smell way better than stanky ass eggs 

13 minutes ago, Dreams Burn Down said:

Vanek and Pommer.  God, I miss those Sabres from the late oughts.

Unfortunately, those guys were not built for the era of thuggery they played.  They were not built for the oughts style of playoffs where everyone just tried to Ram everyone’s head into the boards or slash their ACL off their body. 

45 minutes ago, inkman said:

Unfortunately, those guys were not built for the era of thuggery they played.  They were not built for the oughts style of playoffs where everyone just tried to Ram everyone’s head into the boards or slash their ACL off their body. 

That they weren't.  All those injuries during the '06 playoffs bore that out.

3 hours ago, inkman said:

Pretty sure it's "aughts".

Not pedanting. Just sayin'.

14 hours ago, Taro T said:

Would agree w/ this take.

Getting to the comparables, would consider Krebs to be a smaller version of a poor man's Adam Oates.  

While it would be silly to expect all 4 C's that are in the system to be 2C quality, it isn't out of the question.  Considering 2 of them are top 10 picks & the other 2 were the key prospect back for a 1C, they have the pedigree to pull it off.  And considering each has a very distinctive style, once they hit their prime, they could effectively center 3 2nd line (+(?)) quality lines with the 4th C being a winger helping them have 3 true 2nd line quality (+(?)) lines with a lot of matchup flexibility.   

Actually, really interested in seeing what these kids can do next year as we should get some occasional glimpses of what this team will be that following year.  (Still frustrated that they've retooled so often that it took 11 years to be at this point.  Spilt milk.)

Our views are very much aligned. Sometimes there is too much effort in labeling lines and players by numbers i.e. first, second and third lines. What I see happening with this roster is that it is steadily being thickened with more talent. It's not inconceivable that this team can be constructed in such a way that against good teams although our first line isn't as talented as the opponents first line (doesn't mean it can't compete with them) our secondary lines can compensate for the talent deficit on the first line. 

If you examine our current and near future center players they include Cozins, Tage, Mitts and Krebs. In my view none of them is a 1C. But as individual players all of them in my view border as 2C caliber players. (Mitts is still an open question for me.) And the same line of thinking applies to the wings. Is Tuch a first line wing or more of a second line wing? On a good team I would consider him a second line player. 

I have to credit you with making a keen observation. With respect to each of the centers in this discussion you note that each of them has a distinct style. That certainly will be a factor when assembling a line regardless whether it is considered a first, second or third line. 

It seems to me that KA prefers having a more well-rounded team even at the expense of giving up higher end talent such as Jack. That is what I see happening in this rebuild here. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Personally, I love the concept of 9 top 6 forwards and 2 #1 D. Basically, it allows you to spend 50 minutes a game doing more than holding on.

The only issue is there remain questions about the 4 top 6ths we have (Skinner, Tuch, VO and Tage) while Cozens Krebs Peterka Quinn Mittelstadt Power and Dahlin still have to prove they can join the party.

Edited by dudacek

25 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Personally, I love the concept of 9 top 6 forwards and 2 #1 D. Basically, it allows you to spend 50 minutes a game doing more than holding on.

The only issue is there remain questions about the 4 top 6ths we have (Skinner, Tuch, VO and Tage) while Cozens Krebs Peterka Quinn Mittelstadt Power and Dahlin still have to prove they can join the party.

What about 3 #1 D? Looking at Nemec and Jiricek on that right side. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, JohnC said:

Our views are very much aligned. Sometimes there is too much effort in labeling lines and players by numbers i.e. first, second and third lines. What I see happening with this roster is that it is steadily being thickened with more talent. It's not inconceivable that this team can be constructed in such a way that against good teams although our first line isn't as talented as the opponents first line (doesn't mean it can't compete with them) our secondary lines can compensate for the talent deficit on the first line. 

If you examine our current and near future center players they include Cozins, Tage, Mitts and Krebs. In my view none of them is a 1C. But as individual players all of them in my view border as 2C caliber players. (Mitts is still an open question for me.) And the same line of thinking applies to the wings. Is Tuch a first line wing or more of a second line wing? On a good team I would consider him a second line player. 

I have to credit you with making a keen observation. With respect to each of the centers in this discussion you note that each of them has a distinct style. That certainly will be a factor when assembling a line regardless whether it is considered a first, second or third line. 

It seems to me that KA prefers having a more well-rounded team even at the expense of giving up higher end talent such as Jack. That is what I see happening in this rebuild here. 

Yes glad to see the various recent posts with this line of thinking.  I hope that we get to the day where we have enough top quality players fighting over the top 6 or top 9 spots earning ice time and staying healthy for the season.  I don't see a great deal of value in ranking our top prospects against each other.  This year has once again shown us that injuries can mess up our plans with Mittelstadt not being able to show what he is yet.  I hope the boys develop and stay healthy for a good Rochester run and then make it interesting in next year's camp.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Krebs hasn’t had the quality of linemates that his fellow 2019 NHL Draft prospects have – both Kirby Dach (of the Saskatoon Blades) and Dylan Cozens (of the Lethbridge Hurricanes) have had more to work with. Krebs had a hand in 37.5% of ICE goals in 2018-19 and had 15 more points than the next-best player on his team.

https://thehockeywriters.com/peyton-krebs-2019-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Interestingly I found different numbers

Krebs recorded a point on 40% of Kootenay’s goals this season.

In comparison, Dach was 31% and Cozens 32%. 5v5 he has 11 goals and 42 points and while on the PP he had 8 goals and 26 points. 72% of his point total were primary.

https://www.milehighhockey.com/2019/5/17/18616661/2019-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-peyton-krebs-scouting-report

He did represent Canada in the U18 in April, were he was slotted in with fellow WHLer Dylan Cozens and BCHL player Alexander Newhook, which formed Canada’s top line. In 7 games, Krebs had 6 goals and 10 points. Showing that with talent, he can produce.

Edited by LGR4GM

• spndnchz locked this topic
  • nfreeman unlocked this topic
  • 2 months later...
27 minutes ago, inkman said:

Nope sure exactly what this means but it sounds good. 

Since we got to know who Peyton Krebs is awhile ago, it makes sense that this topic had no activity for two months. It is probably more user-friendly to create a new topic. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.