How long will Jack Eichel play hockey?

SDS

How long will Jack Eichel play hockey?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. How long will Jack Eichel play hockey?

• He will never play again
    • 1-3 years
    • 4-7 years
    • He will have a full career

13 minutes ago, Curt said:

I was purposefully being pedantic, adhering strictly to the letter of the question while ignoring the spirit.  I was just screwing around.

Take it from someone who knows:  No one likes a pedant.  We're considered worse than mimes to the rest of the world.

😉

5 hours ago, SDS said:

You got me Curt! You got me! I can only be grateful I didn't dangle a participle. Now that you're hopped up on your pedantic English wizardry, the only question is how will you parley this sick burn into some Grade A tail tonight at Shooter's... 

Easy, brother.  Curt is a really good poster and he did point out something there.

3 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

Regardless of how many more years Eichel plays, none of them will be full seasons.  Although talented, he is injury-prone.  He may try to play through some of it, but his bad luck with staying healthy is a curse.

He did play a full season in 19-20 before the shut down, so if he can get on track from this neck issue I wouldn’t rule it out 

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

He did play a full season in 19-20 before the shut down, so if he can get on track from this neck issue I wouldn’t rule it out 

Close, but not quite.  He missed 1 game w/ the leg injury that continued hampering him until the shutdown.

Can seeing playing close to full seasons after he resumes playing, he's done that 2-3 times depending on the definition of "close", but would be mildly surprised if he ever plays a full 82.

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Close, but not quite.  He missed 1 game w/ the leg injury that continued hampering him until the shutdown.

Can seeing playing close to full seasons after he resumes playing, he's done that 2-3 times depending on the definition of "close", but would be mildly surprised if he ever plays a full 82.

Oh you mean literally 82/82 being “full”? Ya, he has never and may never 

On 10/30/2021 at 10:22 AM, nfreeman said:

It's an interesting test of the predictive power of the masses as to a question that 99% of the masses have close to zero knowledge -- and even in that scenario, the predictive power of the masses has proven to be surprisingly accurate.

Instinct can sometimes surpass the surface numbers

On 10/30/2021 at 11:20 AM, Weave said:

OK, I'll bite since the rest of yous are being argumentative.

4-7 years.  He'll have 3-4 instances over the next 4 seasons where he misses time due to the neck injury and after the 3rd, 4th one he won't pass a team physical.

You never know.

IIRC Mario Lemieux was possibly on track to challenge Gretzky’s records but had so many health issues.  He had Hodgkin lymphoma, spinal disc herniation  and chronic back issues. Still he kept making comebacks and at the time of his final retirement ranked 7th in career points. 

2 hours ago, gilbert11 said:

You never know.

IIRC Mario Lemieux was possibly on track to challenge Gretzky’s records but had so many health issues.  He had Hodgkin lymphoma, spinal disc herniation  and chronic back issues. Still he kept making comebacks and at the time of his final retirement ranked 7th in career points. 

yes we will....when he retires

58 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Do we add his past 6 years to this silly choices?   If he plays 6 more years is that not a full career?  

Why not start a thread asking  how many beans are in the jar?  

What will be the prize... inquiring minds want to know?   hmmm

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Do we add his past 6 years to this silly choices?   If he plays 6 more years is that not a full career?  

Why not start a thread asking  how many beans are in the jar?  

If you have a better conversation to have, start the thread!

This is an interesting conversation because undoubtedly other GMs are factoring their guesstimate of Jacks career into the offers they are sending to KA.  Obviously we (the fans) won’t have the medical information that the other GMs have, but it is another variable needed to discuss potential returns for Jack.

6 minutes ago, Weave said:

This is an interesting conversation because undoubtedly other GMs are factoring their guesstimate of Jacks career into the offers they are sending to KA.  Obviously we (the fans) won’t have the medical information that the other GMs have, but it is another variable needed to discuss potential returns for Jack.

I think it's probably a topic of discussion, but that how much of a full career Jack has going forward represents a rather minor concern for the trading team. Just like with the Sabres, in the the end, this is about $$$. Sabres don't want to be on the hook for a lump sum and neither do other teams - it's cold but I don't think *any* team really cares about Jack's long term health. The question they are probably asking is: "can this 25 year old fix his body enough in surgery to the extent he can complete his current contract with us, at a high level". They only need to squeeze 4 seasons, after this one, of juice out of the guy. After that - there is no more financial commitment. 

He'll be nearly 30 at that time. It's a nice bonus that trading for Jack comes with an exclusive negotiating window for 4 years so, if things go splendidly, that avenue can be explored, but this is a win now move - it's about the next couple years. They'd likely be reasonably happy getting the 10 mil in cap space back when the time comes, as long as the next 4 years can be salvaged. 

7 hours ago, Weave said:

GMs are dealing with three things:  

One is the remaining term of his contract which is a known entity that the acquiring team will have to cover, or get the Sabres to cover in part.   Anything after that is not relevant to the trade. 

The second is the acquiring team must be willing to allow ADR surgery.  The “disconnect”.  

The third is the uncertainty of the player’s ability after the surgery, which clouds his value today.  

The length of his career could be driven by other future events and just adds an unnecessary variable. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

As long as the sun shines, the grass grows and the river flows.

So, you realize that the sun will probably shine a lot longer than the grass will grow or the river will flow? 

The sun will start to run out of nuclear fuel and then it will start to cool and grow larger, engulfing the earth. Jack may or may not witness this, though 

9 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

So, you realize that the sun will probably shine a lot longer than the grass will grow or the river will flow? 

The sun will start to run out of nuclear fuel and then it will start to cool and grow larger, engulfing the earth. Jack may or may not witness this, though 

He'll glare at the sky and be blinded, for sure.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.