Sabres hire data scientist: Domenic Galamini Jr

LGR4GM

15 minutes ago, SDS said:

I’m starting to back away from someone’s previous analytics telling the full story about their play. I think Granato has showed so far that maybe the book isn’t always written correctly on every player.

Many statistical measures are definitely situational.  They don’t tell the whole story.

23 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If the analytics aren't there, I don't care how hard a player works. 

Likewise a player with good numbers who doesn't work hard I'm not interested in. 

Also, analytics help you start to identify hard workers. 

Yup. 

I think there are times that players placed in far from ideal situations produce poor analytics, but that doesn’t mean that they are absolutely not worth considering and if placed in situations that better suit them, they could produce good analytics.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Curt said:

Many statistical measures are definitely situational.  They don’t tell the whole story.

I think there are times that players placed in far from ideal situations produce poor analytics, but that doesn’t mean that they are absolutely not worth considering and if placed in situations that better suit them, they could produce good analytics.

The best example of this was every Sabres Player on the ice with Risto 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Curt said:

That's why you compare players on the same team. That's why there's analytics for linemates and opponents faced. 

Everyone knew Krueger cratered the teams numbers but a good analytics team is also providing context. It's not just generate numbers and show them to ppl.

30 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The best example of this was every Sabres Player on the ice with Risto 

Risto has been bad forever and a strong piece of evidence in favor of analytics. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

That's why you compare players on the same team. That's why there's analytics for linemates and opponents faced. 

Everyone knew Krueger cratered the teams numbers but a good analytics team is also providing context. It's not just generate numbers and show them to ppl.

Risto has been bad forever and a strong piece of evidence in favor of analytics. 

It was a lame at a joke 

52 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Random thought, but I wonder if anyone has modeled the analytical mix of players on various teams that go late into the playoffs?  I mean sure you want the best statistical top line when it comes to scoring, but what should you be looking for on your 3rd and 4th lines?  Do the conventional stats even apply to them or should you be looking for different traits?

It is theoretically possible.  The LOG line was an ideal 4th line, so start with their stats and work from them...

Doohickie had a neat set of charts which showed how bad Sobotka was.  I would want the reverse: a guy who attracts others' stats in a positive direction.  It is not always possible to find many 4th liners like that, so guys who don't drag down others much is a start (these are the bottom 1/4 of the league, after all).  They should have positive possession stats against the bottom half of the league.  Regularly having a team-adjusted plus-minus close to zero would be good.  They should have a defencively responsible mindset.  I would like someone who checks tenaciously.  I would like them to be decent checkers against top players league-wide.

More will come to me in time.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Curt said:

They really do seem to have made a conscious effort to hire top notch analytics people.

However, I would push back against the idea that they plan on building a team based mostly off of analytics (not that you actually said that, though your statement could be interpreted that way).  It seems like it is/will be just one of several areas of focus.  The GM and HC have spoken repeatedly about getting the right people, team chemistry, hard work, and other such unquantifiable concepts.

I feel like they will build with a wide range of factors in mind, not “all in on analytics”.

Don’t worry about crusty old Punch.  While I am happy to see them use analytics to augment real scouting, They still need to know who they are drafting, their work ethic, and what the past coaches say.  They still need to see the players and it has to feel right right.  Analytics should just help you narrow a huge pool into a manageable pool.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Funny Risto is brought up tonight.  I was listening to the Flyers broadcast of the Bruins game.  They (homers broadcasters) marveled over his physical play and stated  that Risto never learned the proper way to play defense because he played for a lousy team/organization since his career began.  Guess they don't follow analytics lol

2 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Doohickie had a neat set of charts which showed how bad Sobotka was.

No, I don't think I ever did.  If I did, I got them from someone on this forum.  I'm clearly not a fancystats guy.

2 hours ago, miles said:

You know a player is probably not great if ghe sabres are trying to move him. Especially for such a poor return 

Oh I think we can definitively say the Sabres won that trade.

25 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Funny Risto is brought up tonight.  I was listening to the Flyers broadcast of the Bruins game.  They (homers broadcasters) marveled over his physical play and stated  that Risto never learned the proper way to play defense because he played for a lousy team/organization since his career began.  Guess they don't follow analytics lol

and....... he's so much better......

......now?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.