LHD Will Butcher and 5th round pick in 2022 traded to Buffalo from NJD

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Butcher has been good every year but last year. 

He was good as a rookie, mediocre the next two years, and bad last year.

I perceive him mostly as a one-way d-man who needs to be put in optimal positions to succeed.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

He was good as a rookie, mediocre the next two years, and bad last year.

A perceive him mostly as a one-way d-man who needs to be put in optimal positions to succeed.

And these aren't the minutes we want to take away from our other d-men

• Thanks (+1) 1

Who has more upside as our 3rd-pairing LD: Butcher or Bryson? Does Bryson go down to Rochester?

I do like having sufficient folks in place to keep Samuelsson in Rochester and Power in Michigan so they can grow, win, and hopefully be dominant against lesser competition, rather than just getting demoralized.

• Like (+1) 3

The only upside I see here is it probably means we will do the smarter thing and let Power stay in college for the year. Butcher maybe gets moved at the deadline for another low-ish pick. Seems like a plan. Maybe next year we actually try to start getting better before our conversation is all about the trading of Dahlin and tanking threads. 

46 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Caggiula, Bjork, Hinostrozza and Butcher were all college studs who've had brief flares, but basically disappointed in the NHL

Hinostroza, and Butcher have had a medium amount of success.  I will agree on Bjork and Caggiula at this point.  I don't think this is a pattern of any type.  It just seems like guys likely willing to come to this cesspool.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

The only upside I see here is it probably means we will do the smarter thing and let Power stay in college for the year. Butcher maybe gets moved at the deadline for another low-ish pick. Seems like a plan. Maybe next year we actually try to start getting better before our conversation is all about the trading of Dahlin and tanking threads. 

If you're Dahlin, do you take the minimum term to get to UFA or do 2 bridges (RFA, UFA) rather than taking a big long-term deal?

Just now, DarthEbriate said:

If you're Dahlin, do you take the minimum term to get to UFA or do 2 bridges (RFA, UFA) rather than taking a big long-term deal?

Or do you start filling out college applications hoping you are still eligible to play in College and re-enter the draft?

Edited by apuszczalowski

1 minute ago, Rasmus_ said:

Hinostroza, and Butcher have had a medium amount of success.  I will agree on Bjork and Caggiula at this point.  I don't think this is a pattern of any type.  It just seems like guys likely willing to come to this cesspool.

Basically just looking at signing guys looking for a chance at a fresh start  or a chance to play

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

You assume he will have a long term offer?  

Well, if the team doesn't offer then he doesn't have to worry about it -- he'll put in his minimum time and then walk or get traded at a deadline. But that's horrible asset management and there aren't any compensatory picks like in the NFL.

54 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Hopefully he stays in college the FULL year and we don't get 7 or 8 games of him in April when everything in the MMArena seems broken.  Let him play in college and enjoy the full spring semester in what will hopefully be "normal times" and then join this thing we call the Sabres in the fall.

• SDS unpinned this topic
37 minutes ago, sabrefanday1 said:

so Sam stated last week that he actually wanted to be here and to sign a new contract but we dumped him but now we get the guy that did not want to be here 3 years ago and chose NewJersey over us when exGMJBotto was all hot-to-trot for this guy? Yikes great addition to the team haha

No he didn’t. He outright said he won’t sign here. His reference was to what he wanted years ago probably when he was demanding 8 million/yr

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.