Pick #1: D Owen Power (University of Michigan)

Hoss

Power sill surprise a lot of people here.   I had the same thoughts on him... concerns about his defense, skating, quickness... until I watched him closely at the Worlds.   

Big guys never look quick, it's an illusion.   His skating is elite, and not just for a big guy, but what stood out most was his hockey sense.   His ability to escape pressure and make that first pass was special.  

That said, he can still get better in some areas as is the case with every prospect, but I have no doubts about his status as a future star in the league.

• Like (+1) 3

On 7/23/2021 at 10:29 PM, IKnowPhysics said:

And the chance to lead a veritable college superteam operating at a superb level under excellent coaching while developing physically, mentally, and technically and -get this- not burning a year off his ELC.

That might be the one saving grace for the Sabres, the season might be done before Power becomes available.  If it ended around April 5 again, there'd be a real possibility of it if all 3 Wolverines go back to school.  Not sure when the Frozen 4 will be this year.  Probably with our luck it ends April 20.

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

Power sill surprise a lot of people here.   I had the same thoughts on him... concerns about his defense, skating, quickness... until I watched him closely at the Worlds.   

Big guys never look quick, it's an illusion.   His skating is elite, and not just for a big guy, but what stood out most was his hockey sense.   His ability to escape pressure and make that first pass was special.  

That said, he can still get better in some areas as is the case with every prospect, but I have no doubts about his status as a future star in the league.

Most big guys on defense use their size and not their extreme stick length to make plays. Power’s knock is he uses his stick too much and it won’t translate. It’s the opposite that is true. Don’t force feed him pasta and scramble his brain and we will be alright. 

10 minutes ago, Curt said:

Anyone have pics of Power flipping tractor tires or riding a tandem bike?

He's too much of a diva for those activities.  Once he signs that contract though.......... it'll be a constant Instragram posting of stacks of dollar bills on his back while doing push ups.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Weave said:

He's too much of a diva for those activities.  Once he signs that contract though.......... it'll be a constant Instragram posting of stacks of dollar bills on his back while doing push ups.

Uh oh, I just thought of something.  There was no combine, so we don’t even know if he can do a pull up!

Edited by Curt
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

He’ll be on the Instigators tomorrow. This is one thing I noticed about Owen Power: he is VERY media friendly. He went on every show imaginable before the draft. He even went on a cheap local podcast run by people with very little social media presence and just zoom chatted with some hockey nerds. It’s awesome to see him engage like that.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Hoss said:

He’ll be on the Instigators tomorrow. This is one thing I noticed about Owen Power: he is VERY media friendly. He went on every show imaginable before the draft. He even went on a cheap local podcast run by people with very little social media presence and just zoom chatted with some hockey nerds. It’s awesome to see him engage like that.

You think they will ask him what kind of underwear he wears?

Power seems like a great kid.  Mature and humble.  He gives really boring hockey player answers from what I’ve seen.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hoss said:

He loves hockey and everything that goes with it. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Power eats, breaths, and sleeps hockey. I love his personality and how he handles himself. His answers are usually thoughtful and insightful. Beniers and Power really impressed me for the media interviews.

• Like (+1) 6

5 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Diva

Never once heard this about Power anywhere but this board. Pretty sure Steve Shields was complimentary of him actually. Someone find the wgr interview Shields gave. 

Edited by LGR4GM

32 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Sweet. Hope I’m wrong 🙂

Like I have said though, the existence of Dahlin would pre empt the types of problems he would have if he was a Diva. Jack never had another talented player on the team that commanded respect for their existence from the get go. Gionta was a blue collar player. Everyone else was toxic

Edited by triumph_communes

14 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Sweet. Hope I’m wrong 🙂

Like I have said though, the existence of Dahlin would pre empt the types of problems he would have if he was a Diva. Jack never had another talented player on the team that commanded respect for their existence from the get go. Gionta was a blue collar player. Everyone else was toxic

Why do you think that Power is a diva???

• Thanks (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Hopefully. It makes a lot of sense to have your 2 best best Dmen on separate lines too. They'll be on ice for the vast majority of a game. 

And with Dahlin's history of playing the right side, they can definitely play them both when pressing for a goal.  Depending on how he is in his own end on right side, they might be able to use the pair defending a lead as well.

Would be nice if they could emulate Anaheim's usage of their big 2 from their glory days.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.