Pick #1: D Owen Power (University of Michigan)

Hoss

32 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

In old english

While it's from Middle English, it's still a word in modern English.  Granted, not one that's been popular since probably the 1800s.  Overwhelm is an example of redundancy in English.  Sometimes the redundancy is accepted, like overwhelmed and uprising.  Other times, they're in use but looked at as improper, such as irregardless.

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

While it's from Middle English, it's still a word in modern English.  Granted, not one that's been popular since probably the 1800s.  Overwhelm is an example of redundancy in English.  Sometimes the redundancy is accepted, like overwhelmed and uprising.  Other times, they're in use but looked at as improper, such as irregardless.

Google is a verb

1 minute ago, triumph_communes said:

Google is a verb

Yeah.  I use DuckDuckGo as my primary internet search engine, but I'll still say I googled something, because everyone knows what that means.  I'd probably get really funny looks by people if I told them I duckduckgo'd it.

Anyway, this is all off topic.  Back to Owen Power.

12 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

It seems as though I’ve estimated you.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I have a friend who worked in Michigan athletics years ago but still knows people inside.  Calls Power a diva and puts the odds of him signing with the Sabres at 50/50. Just passing what was told to me. 

Your friend is wrong. Power will sign.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Weave said:

This runs counter to what little I’ve read about Powers skating.  I think just last night someone posted a report that said something along the lines of “doesn’t just skate well for a big guy.  Skates very well”.

Power seems to skate very well downhill.  He shows less dexterity and determination going into the corners in the d-end.  He really needs to go back to college and watch some tape of Samuelsson and Bryson.  Samuelsson seems like a more complete *D*-man right now.  Bryson, as a small guy, learned how to use his speed and positioning to pry the puck away.   Not to say that Samuelsson and Bryson are the best, just that they demonstrate some of what Power needs to learn yet.  But, with Michigan being such a powerhouse, I worry that Power won't be pushed very hard. Still, his floor seems like a Brandon Carlo with offense.  

We're clearly overloaded on LD:  Dahlin, Samuelsson, Byrson, Hagg, Johnson, Power.  And I think that Hagg is worth more than just a bag of pucks.

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The issue with Power and his skating is that he glides often and he's not necessarily quick. 

Do we really care how a defenseman looks on a 2 on 1?

Really?!

I read that link you posted and thought it was ridiculous. His skating is more than fine. It’s remarkable for his size.

Owen Power will be fine.

... oof. I just realized who that was in reference to.

***** this team.

• Sad 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Just about everything I read on Power is positive.  He can be very good or even great if he is brought up right.  

There, I just needed to say something positive about this team.  Feel better now.  

I'm sure he's going to succeed in the NHL.  We've been conditioned by the phrase "generational talent" and spoiled by Dahlin and Eichel.

Owen Power was the safe pick.

Personally I think these Victor Hedman comparisons are borderline insane, Hedman's come along very rarely in our lifetimes.

Power has a good chance to be a 'pretty good' NHL defenseman.

'Pretty Good' doesn't cut it for me at 1OV.

IMO Eklund has a chance to be great. That was the pick for me and stand by it.

I hope to be dead wrong on Power but we will see.

24 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Owen Power was the safe pick.

Personally I think these Victor Hedman comparisons are borderline insane, Hedman's come along very rarely in our lifetimes.

Power has a good chance to be a 'pretty good' NHL defenseman.

'Pretty Good' doesn't cut it for me at 1OV.

IMO Eklund has a chance to be great. That was the pick for me and stand by it.

I hope to be dead wrong on Power but we will see.

If Power was the safe pick, it’s interesting that the rest of the Sabres draft strategy seemed to be “shoot for the moon.”

• SDS unpinned this topic
1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

It’s worth noting that 6 other teams passed on Eklund too.  

How many teams passed on Cole Caufield or Alex Debrincat? 3 teams passed on Draisaitl. 

Eklund got passed on because he missed the U20's with covid and he missed the Worlds with a hand injury. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.