Linus Ullmark: Rumors and discussion

GASabresIUFAN

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

They gotta get this done. 

We are past the draft, it's free agency, and we are haggling with the best goalie on the market (when we need 2) over a couple million or a couple years, when we have oodles of cap space. When our best goalie currently is Dustin Tokarski. Being in a "rebuild" really skews perception

If you are thinking Ullmark is asking for 3 years, all the more reason this should be done. If the cap *is* expected to go up in 3 years, no harm in going over 3 years to get this down then either. 

If he really does want just 3 years, give him $6+ each year.  Helps them reach the cap floor and keeps contenders out of the discussions.  That contract would only effect the contract for the other goalie (who also will help reach the cap floor).  The kids, except possibly Dahlin, won't be getting big money until that contract is done.

• Like (+1) 3

If you aren't going to pay up anymore (not saying they aren't, but if they aren't) then GA is right, it'll be tough to get players to come here right now. Not mining the bit of value we have here on our hands, the goodwill of Ullmark to the organization that gave him his start, would seem to be a mistake. 

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

They gotta get this done. 

We are past the draft, it's free agency, and we are haggling with the best goalie on the market (when we need 2) over a couple million or a couple years, when we have oodles of cap space. When our best goalie currently is Dustin Tokarski. Being in a "rebuild" really skews perception

If you are thinking Ullmark is asking for 3 years, all the more reason this should be done. If the cap *is* expected to go up in 3 years, no harm in going over 3 years to get this down then either. 

My belief is deal is done. The only thing holding up announcement being held up is Ulmark making sure no last minute team coming in with above market offer. Seems like four teams have already found their guy so his options are limited.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I really believe that Linus likes it here and will stay.

3 years ... 19.5M ... 6.5M / year

Why not look around? Sabres potentially could lose over 50 games this year. Guessing he wants better

12 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I believe it’s three years for around $5M. Players who believe in themselves want to keep deals at 3 years because cap is expected to sky rocket in three years. All these young guys signing 8 year deals are going to regret it.

If you’re saying that 3 years x $5MM is KA’s offer, then I think Linus is gone.  If you’re saying that’s what Linus wants, then I think KA would be nuts not to give it to him, although I don’t think that is Linus’ request.  

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

My belief is deal is done. The only thing holding up announcement being held up is Ulmark making sure no last minute team coming in with above market offer. Seems like four teams have already found their guy so his options are limited.

Said it before, but once it got to within a handful of days of FA hitting, it would've been foolish for Ullmark to not see what else is out there.

You're right more often than not, so still hopeful we see he's signed later today.  🍺

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, tom webster said:

iav33.thumb.jpg.9b5ec9c524fc79a1692c606a924a8f61.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, tom webster said:

So if you are correct, the Seravelli Tweet is the result of the agent feeding him that tidbit in the hope it might spark that last-minute overture.

Which is a great illustration of how much of this stuff that we read and hear gets out.

• Like (+1) 2

Someone should re-name this thread to "Ullmark UFA" or "Resign Ullmark".  Eklund as usual was wrong.  It was not a stretch to suggest that the Sabres would be trying to resign Ullmark.  I would assume that he's hearing what else is out there from better teams now and that the Sabres will be able to offer a #1 position and the best money.  I would hope 2 or 3 years but let's see.

• Like (+1) 1

• nfreeman changed the title to Will Linus Ullmark Re-sign?

Allegedly Boston

11 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

So a bunch of goalies have signed.  I think Colorado and Grubauer are still both in play.

If Colorado extends Grubauer, is there another team that is a threat to sign Linus?

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If Ullmark bolts what is plan B?  I don’t think there is one.

Have to believe there is a plan B in place.  Unfortunately, believe there were plans A & B last year, but neither was executable.

Can't go into this season w/ goaltending that isn't upgraded from last year.

The frustrating thing about Ullmark not being signed yet is, if the plan A had the 2nd goalie also coming in via FA, rather than say an Eichel trade or other source, then many of those options are already gone.  And we MAY be watching plan A be unexecutable again.

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

With a bunch of goalies having already signed, and KA having stated publicly that he wants Linus back, it would seem Linus has leverage at this point.

However we have the advantage of having one of the only remaining starting jobs