Expansion Draft -- Wed. July 21, 2021 (Release the Kraken)

Hoss

27 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

What in blazes is a Gund?

Owners of the California Golden Seals (RIP) post Charlie Finley.

Owners of the Cleveland Barons (RIP).

Owners of the merged Barons / Minnesota North Stars (RIP).

Former owners of the post-North Stars spin-off San Jose Sharks (sold in 2002).

Edited by Taro T
  • Thanks (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

What in blazes is a Gund?

Former owner of the Cleveland Barons and the person Gund Arena is named after in Cleveland.

I will be honest.  I was a huge Braves fan.  For me, a sale to an out-of-towners is the death knell of the Sabres.  I figure the Pegulas will blunder into competent management at some point, so I don't understand the implacable hatred of them as owners.  Yes, the team has been bad and they are responsible, but at least they have been trying.  They have not been like Melnyk in Ottawa, for instance.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Owners of the California Golden Seals (RIP) post Charlie Finley.

Owners of the Cleveland Barons (RIP).

Owners of the merged Barons / Minnesota North Stars (RIP).

Former owners of the post-North Stars spin-off San Jose Sharks (sold in 2002).

No RIP for Charlie Finley?

6 minutes ago, Eleven said:

No RIP for Charlie Finley?

Was trying to keep the condolences to victims of the Gunds.  Pretty sure they didn't kill him.  😉

But sure, RIP Charlie.  Imagine you and Frank Bonner have some spiffy white shoes to compare.

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

I don’t think they’re taking Carey Price. I see no way they pay $14M for goalies.

Now with the questions about his injuries I agree. Before those questions I'd not have been shocked if they took him.

7 minutes ago, Curt said:

Why is the nickname krackheads/krackhouse cool?  Is it supposed to be clever?  Funny?  I don’t get the appeal.

It’s a little too much casual disregard of drug addiction for my taste.

I'm with you.

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

This is a good move for Seattle. Guy coming into his own, like an Ullmark. Not an overpay. From Florida's list, he's the best player with upside and production. I like Acciari's game, but there are other 3rd liners available who bring more. I could see a one-year on Stralman as a cagey vet who could be moved at the deadline, but there are so many other defensemen available (see other threads re: Borgen/Miller).

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

I don’t think they’re taking Carey Price. I see no way they pay $14M for goalies.

If I'm Seattle I look at Montreal returning to the Atlantic next season and smile. This Habs team has pieces... but remove Weber or Price and rely on Allen? In Tampa/Boston/Toronto's division. That's not a playoff team. So I squares up to the Habs... casual-like. What's it worth the Habs to get Price's contract off their books? 2022 MTL 1st and 2023 MTL 1st? Picks must be lottery unprotected. When Bergevin balks I ask the same question for Shea Weber. Have a friendly discussion. I don't think Montreal does it, but I inquire.

Maybe I can get a MTL 2022 1st and 2023 1st/2nd to take a Weber/Price. If I do, that's where I seriously consider spending the cash on them. Because the Habs are a 5th-place in their division even with both guys healthy in the lineup. So is MTL rebuilding (in which case they don't trade the picks) or are they deluding into thinking they've got a playoff-caliber roster? What does Bergevin think of his team's future?

I bank on Seattle spending near to the cap on opening day this season (maybe less next season after some bad contracts come off the books), LTIR being available, and... by the time 2024-25 rolls around, the cap beginning its resurgence. The last two years of Price's deal won't be bad cap hits.

12 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

This is a good move for Seattle. Guy coming into his own, like an Ullmark. Not an overpay. From Florida's list, he's the best player with upside and production. I like Acciari's game, but there are other 3rd liners available who bring more. I could see a one-year on Stralman as a cagey vet who could be moved at the deadline, but there are so many other defensemen available (see other threads re: Borgen/Miller).

If I'm Seattle I look at Montreal returning to the Atlantic next season and smile. This Habs team has pieces... but remove Weber or Price and rely on Allen? In Tampa/Boston/Toronto's division. That's not a playoff team. So I squares up to the Habs... casual-like. What's it worth the Habs to get Price's contract off their books? 2022 MTL 1st and 2023 MTL 1st? Picks must be lottery unprotected. When Bergevin balks I ask the same question for Shea Weber. Have a friendly discussion. I don't think Montreal does it, but I inquire.

Maybe I can get a MTL 2022 1st and 2023 1st/2nd to take a Weber/Price. If I do, that's where I seriously consider spending the cash on them. Because the Habs are a 5th-place in their division even with both guys healthy in the lineup. So is MTL rebuilding (in which case they don't trade the picks) or are they deluding into thinking they've got a playoff-caliber roster? What does Bergevin think of his team's future?

I bank on Seattle spending near to the cap on opening day this season (maybe less next season after some bad contracts come off the books), LTIR being available, and... by the time 2024-25 rolls around, the cap beginning its resurgence. The last two years of Price's deal won't be bad cap hits.

Price’s cap hit is very bad right now. It’s not going to get better as he ages and his body continues to slow down, even if the cap starts going up.

There are a decent number of big contracts out there for Seattle to select as well as a number of them to negotiate with free agents so taking on $10.5M for a goalie when you’ve got another at $3.5M probably isn’t the best route to take here.

Weber may never play again so they’re not touching him. You obviously want to have those conversations with Montreal just in case they throw something your way still but it seems unlikely.

St. Louis is an interesting team because Tarasenko is one of the league’s best players as long as he can return to health (I don’t know how big of a question this is). So you can take him and provide a big boost to your lineup or you can pick him with the intention of trading him. The caveat with them is that Vince Dunn is one of the most appealing players available as a young defensemen that should give you top four minutes for a decade.

16 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Price’s cap hit is very bad right now. It’s not going to get better as he ages and his body continues to slow down, even if the cap starts going up.

There are a decent number of big contracts out there for Seattle to select as well as a number of them to negotiate with free agents so taking on $10.5M for a goalie when you’ve got another at $3.5M probably isn’t the best route to take here.

Weber may never play again so they’re not touching him. You obviously want to have those conversations with Montreal just in case they throw something your way still but it seems unlikely.

St. Louis is an interesting team because Tarasenko is one of the league’s best players as long as he can return to health (I don’t know how big of a question this is). So you can take him and provide a big boost to your lineup or you can pick him with the intention of trading him. The caveat with them is that Vince Dunn is one of the most appealing players available as a young defensemen that should give you top four minutes for a decade.

It's a terrible cap hit. We all laughed at Montreal when Price signed the deal because it was too high for a goalie (we'd been seeing MAF, Crawford, and Matt Murray play well... but really just be passengers on their team's prowess. Some great saves, but not stealing series because they didn't have to.) That's where... MTL really has to entice me to make the move. And I don't think the Habs are willing to do it. Bergevin knows they're pretenders.

I think Weber plays again and sooner than expected. Both he and Price were suddenly getting offseason surgery as they got exposed. MTL might be happier for neither of them to play again to free up the cap space. But I'm guessing they are on the ice in the season after this one (22-23).

I like Tarasenko a lot. But not enough to pass on Dunn. Soooo many good young defenders to build around. Bean, Dunn...  and they won't break the bank. Get a couple really solid veterans (Giordano, maybe a Shattenkirk/De Haan) to keep them company on expiring deals, and stockpile the younger guys.

Edited by DarthEbriate

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Setting the price for Ullmark?

If we can get Ullmark 3x$3.5... Do what must be done, GM Sheevyn. Do not hesitate! Show no mercy him the money. 

Ullmark will go higher. Driedger is coming off a sub-$1M deal and had the benefit of a solid defensive roster in front of him. He's good, and I like him, but unless he'd stolen a series against Tampa, he was going to get stymied by his previous deal and get a 1B deal.  On the other hand, Ullmark made Buffalo look respectable. He'll be like the most recent wave of starting goalies: Demko, Holtby, Kuemper, Markstrom. $4.5M minimum is my guess. And it only takes one GM to not be scared by the injuries and give him $6M like Markstrom got (it's unlikely, but... so was Skinner's contract).

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

hmm I always figured the choice would be between Miller and Borgen, but after thinking about it, if I'm Seattle I'm talking to McCabe right now.

Even though he is apparently out until December?

24 minutes ago, steveoath said:

You know, it's entirely possible. Minimal, expiring contract, fills the role of the emergency keeper and crosses off the "must pick three goalies" requirement.

They may not want Miller's cap hit, or think they'll get much flipping him. They may not see Borgen among their starting 7, or think he will clear waivers. And they may believe Girgensons is overpaid compared to others they can pick up for the same role.

After that, who is even remotely interesting?

• nfreeman changed the title to Expansion Draft -- Wed. July 21, 2021 (Release the Kraken)
  • nfreeman pinned this topic
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.