Expansion Draft -- Wed. July 21, 2021 (Release the Kraken)

Hoss

9 minutes ago, Hoss said:

My first krak at a lineup:

Gourde (TB) - McCann (TOR) - Tarasenko (STL)

Niederreiter (CAR) - Domi (CBJ) - Eberle (NYI)

Fischer (ARI) -  Appleton (WPG) - Donskoi (COL)

E. Svechnikov (DET) - Kharia (EDM) - Blackwell (NYR)

Giordano (CGY) - Miller (BUF)

Maatta (LA) - Sekera (DAL)

Hagg (PHI) - Lauzon (BOS)

Price (MON)

Driedger (FLA)

I'm thinking this is close. Once again the NHL tees up another one for an expansion team. All it takes is money in the owners pockets.

5 minutes ago, Radar said:

I'm thinking this is close. Once again the NHL tees up another one for an expansion team. All it takes is money in the owners pockets.

I think they’re going to pass on some guys who I believe should be obvious (they’ll pass on one or both of Price/Tarasenko even though both should be locks).

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I think they’re going to pass on some guys who I believe should be obvious (they’ll pass on one or both of Price/Tarasenko even though both should be locks).

Depends on reaching cap floor. Price could be attractive.

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

E. Svechnikov (DET) - Khaira (EDM) - Blackwell (NYR)

Price (MON)

Driedger (FLA)

Good job, I think they go DeMelo over Appleton though. 

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

E. Svechnikov (DET) - Khaira (EDM) - Blackwell (NYR)

Price (MON)

Driedger (FLA)

Cap compliant ? because you get there fast with tarasenko +gio + price 🙂

Also really can't see them skipping taking Bean and haydn fleury , that is 2 top 4 D for years to come.

Edited by Huckleberry

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Cap compliant ? because you get there fast with tarasenko +gio + price 🙂

Also really can't see them skipping taking Bean and haydn fleury , that is 2 top 4 D for years to come.

Yea you can use the CapFriendly tool to do a roster. I actually did take Fleury in my projection but didn’t put him in the lineup for whatever reason.

25 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I already did ,  they can plan the parade with mine 😄 

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/483068

This is damn good if they go without Carey Price which seems very likely (especially considering the knee news that just came out). But idk two Kales on one defense might be too vegan for this league.

4 hours ago, Curt said:

They paid $650M for these expansion rules.

I know.  And it even makes a bit of sense from the league's perspective; maybe if Florida and Arizona hadn't sucked so bad, their non-traditional markets would have adopted hockey the way Las Vegas has.

I still don't like it, though.  ***** a Kraken.

Edited by Eleven

50 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I know.  And it even makes a bit of sense from the league's perspective; maybe if Florida and Arizona hadn't sucked so bad, their non-traditional markets would have adopted hockey the way Las Vegas has.

I still don't like it, though.  ***** a Kraken.

Yeah, you are right.  For a league breaking into a new market, the worst thing you can do is make sure the new team is going to be terrible for the first 5 years they exist.

Still I doubt that Kraken will do a repeat of Vegas. That still seems like lightning in a bottle.

48 minutes ago, Curt said:

Yeah, you are right.  For a league breaking into a new market, the worst thing you can do is make sure the new team is going to be terrible for the first 5 years they exist.

Still I doubt that Kraken will do a repeat of Vegas. That still seems like lightning in a bottle.

You sure?  Worked wonders in KC & Cleveland.  😉

53 minutes ago, Taro T said:

You sure?  Worked wonders in KC & Cleveland.  😉

Cleveland was the California Golden Seals.

Washington was horrible for years.  The Islanders were awful their first year.  The Scouts-Rockies-Devils were terrible for years.  San Jose and Ottawa beat some records set by the 1974-5 Crapitals.

Will fans be loyal when the team inevitably rebuilds?

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Washington was horrible for years.  The Islanders were awful their first year.  The Scouts-Rockies-Devils were terrible for years.  San Jose and Ottawa beat some records set by the 1974-5 Crapitals.

The Sabres are REALLY testing this. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

And the Seals were comparable in quality to an expansion team & the Gunds did everything possible to be done wrong while on their 2 year stint in Cleveland.  

Remember, people don't kill hockey markets, Gunds kill hockey markets.

• Like (+1) 1

I cant believe the wild are exposing Kähkönen

I think he has the potential to be a top tender in the league in a couple of years.  They protected Talbot, who will be 96 years old next year.

I was joking when I said I was going to follow Seattle, but this is a huge opportunity for them. I just wanted to call myself a krackhead 

Edited by Mike Honcho

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

And the Seals were comparable in quality to an expansion team & the Gunds did everything possible to be done wrong while on their 2 year stint in Cleveland.  

Remember, people don't kill hockey markets, Gunds kill hockey markets.

Have we had a decade of Gunds?  Thankfully this is a proud, strong hockey market, but I think they've tried their best to kill it through sheer prolonged incompetence.

43 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

Have we had a decade of Gunds?  Thankfully this is a proud, strong hockey market, but I think they've tried their best to kill it through sheer prolonged incompetence.

Maybe we have.  Don't really believe so, but s'pose a case can be made.

The good news is, even Gunds can luck into good people.  The Snarks had a nearly 20 year run of relevance that began while the Gunds still owned them.  Don Waddell lucked into an analytics savant & actually listens to him so, as bad as he was in Atlanta, he's appeared that good in Carolina.

For the 1st time since Craig Patrick was brought in for an extremely advisory role, the Sabres are starting to bring in some respected guys into FO roles they've been credited with excelling in, even though they're under Adams.  (A case could be made Botterill was as well, but his role in Buffalo was a major promotion, so IMHO the case would be flawed.  A case also could likely be made for Sexton, but pretty sure he wasn't particularly successful prior to being brought in.  (If that is incorrect, then am willing to stand corrected regarding Randy.) 

Hopefully the Pegulas have already lucked into the good people.  Am willing to believe it is possible, but won't buy in until we see the actual results that show they have.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.