Prediction time: will Eichel be traded by the draft, which is on Friday, July 23?

nfreeman

Will they or won't they?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Will Eichel be traded by the end of the first round of the NHL draft -- July 23?

• Yes
    • No

At this point, we've heard plenty of speculation, although not many facts, about his injury, about KA's allegedly high asking price, about the teams who are interested, about what Jack wants and about what the Sabres want.

The NHL season is over.  We've been waiting for the shoe to drop for some time now.

Is it going to happen in the next 2 weeks or not?  Specifically, will Eichel be traded on or before the end of the first round of the draft, which is 2 weeks from today?

I voted no -- I think the injury is creating uncertainty in the minds of the other GMs and driving down the prices they are willing to pay, to the point that their offers aren't good enough for KA to accept.

Let's see what our collective wisdom thinks is going to happen.

It just seems like such a terrible move for the Sabres on all fronts. Trade away your best player on a long-term contract when his market value is at rock bottom and you just hired a coach who might actually be able to coax some success out of the team? I just can't see why they would do it unless Jack simply refuses to play if they don't. 

• Like (+1) 8

KA is adamant you have to want to be here, which means TPegs is adamant you have to want to be here. Jack is at a disconnect. The old suffering guard (still young) is being moved out. The agreements are already in place and now it's up to the opposing GMs to sweeten the deal just a touch to get their 1C. Everyone is waiting until after the expansion draft to see how that shakes anything up, but mainly they're holding in place because they've set up their rosters for the draft and everyone is properly protected. The trade is announced during the trade partner's first round pick and the Sabres are back on the clock.

All the coordinates are set. It's now or never. Punch it!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, WildCard said:

@nfreeman Can we make the pole results public?

I think anonymous voting tends to give rise to higher participation and more accurate results, so would rather not make the poll results public.  But I encourage anyone so inclined to declare how he/she voted.

Just now, nfreeman said:

I think anonymous voting tends to give rise to higher participation and more accurate results, so would rather not make the poll results public.  But I encourage anyone so inclined to declare how he/she voted.

I mean I get that, but also at the same time it's not the Presidential election lol if anyone is discouraged from sharing their vote on here I'm honestly very surprised.

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I mean I get that, but also at the same time it's not the Presidential election lol if anyone is discouraged from sharing their vote on here I'm honestly very surprised.

Yep, it's not like people on here are shy to share their opinion about anything, myself included.

I hate the idea of it, but I think he'll be traded by the end of the first round of the draft.

10 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

KA is adamant you have to want to be here, which means TPegs is adamant you have to want to be here. Jack is at a disconnect. The old suffering guard (still young) is being moved out. The agreements are already in place and now it's up to the opposing GMs to sweeten the deal just a touch to get their 1C. Everyone is waiting until after the expansion draft to see how that shakes anything up, but mainly they're holding in place because they've set up their rosters for the draft and everyone is properly protected. The trade is announced during the trade partner's first round pick and the Sabres are back on the clock.

All the coordinates are set. It's now or never. Punch it!

Call me cynical, but I think this is purely 1. a PR campaign, and 2. a contract negotiating tactic/way to cover themselves

I believe it has zero implications, as far as the Eichel situation is concerned.

If they can't get people like Reinhart/Ullmark signed for the amount/term the team wants, and they end up trading them, it's because "they didn't want to be here"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

Call me cynical, but I think this is purely 1. a PR campaign, and 2. a contract negotiating tactic/way to cover themselves

I believe it has zero implications, as far as the Eichel situation is concerned.

If they can't get people like Reinhart/Ullmark signed for the amount/term the team wants, and they end up trading them, it's because "they didn't want to be here"

I totally agree with you. But it's a PR campaign to appease the fan base when we get less in return than we want. Plus, then Sabres fans can boo whenever Reino handles the puck in his new sweater.

• Haha (+1) 1

If a deal happens I'd guess sometime in August.  Too many moving parts here w the expansion draft and entry draft stacked up.    Let the dust settle, see where guys like Eklund end up and then something may fall into place.

31 minutes ago, WildCard said:

You probably just want to intimidate the voters! 

Just kidding lol 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Depends who you're voting for...

I voted that Eichel will be drafted before the end of round 1 (personally I think it will be b4 round 1 starts). Only way I see that not happening is if a team is giving us their Zegras or Byfield so we let them keep their high #1. 

• Like (+1) 1

Adams is on a mission to “fix” this team.

He wants to start the process now

He believes removing Jack from the room is a necessity for this.

The window for the maximum return is now; after the draft, cap space and roster space starts to fill up, assets get removed from the table, bidders move on to other plans.

For better or worse, Eichel will be traded by the draft.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He should offer them water while they vote, that's highly intimidating. 

Very thorough, nuanced, and correct interpretation of the events being referred to - austere scholars Noah, T. and Leibowitz, J. would be proud 

Edited by Randall Flagg

Unless Adams is a world class poker player (and am hoping he is, but not expecting that) there is almost no possibility Eichel is still a Sabre after the draft is completed.  He'll be traded for a package including a high pick.

The true question IMHO is whether he'll still be a Sabre when the rosters are set for the Seattle draft.  My guess is he isn't, but that's far more a 50/50 proposition. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m hoping that a trade only happens if KA gets a deal he can’t refuse. No, not a dead horse head in his bed, but a great offer, but I really don’t see a team offering the farm for a guy who is injured. Others teams are probably hoping to steal Jack for a song, and I just hope that doesn’t happen. 

If Jack isn’t traded will he still wear the C? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.