Chicago Blackhawks Sexual Assault Allegations

WildCard

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Jonathan toews should not be captain and kicked from the league 

What a disgrace 

I don't think he should be kicked from the league, but I think this is absolutely a chance for the team to make it clear it is not standing for this. The team should remove the C from Toews.

There was a reporter out of Chicago saying Toews can't be held responsible because he was so young and likely easily-influenced at the time. He was 23. Certainly not a cagy veteran, but he's also been hailed as one of the game's best leaders since that season. So which is it - was he a leader or was he too young to handle leadership duties? Even if it's the former, he should be held to a better standard than punting on publicly ripping the situation and then calling the people involved "good people."

A shameful, disappointing situation all around. And it's not even the only sexual assault allegations within the organization they ignored. Hello, Patrick Kane.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m really just restating the obvious, but this is all around a pathetic display.

The original handling of the situation was an obvious case of valuing  hockey more than a person’s well being.  It was inconvenient, so they didn’t deal with it.  Pathetic.

The NHL’s punishment of $2M is super weak.  Teams have been penalized more for breaking rules about draft prospect workouts.  Pathetic.

The Blackhawks response now is insufficient.  In their statements they are not taking responsibility as an organization.  They keep putting the responsibility on “management at that time”.  Instead of firing people for cause, they are allowing them to “step aside” with some dignity, and a fine settlement package no doubt.  Pathetic.

USA hockey keeps putting people in charge who are in the midst of sexual misconduct investigations.  Stop being dumb.  Pathetic.

Pathetic display all around.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

No way Quenville or Chevaldayoff (sp?) should have been anywhere near their team since this story broke. The leagues failure to recognize that is at the foundation of the leagues problem.  They don’t understand how to operate their league or navigate their shortcomings.  

• Like (+1) 6

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

You know all this discussion of how much of a player he was is irrelevant.

7 hours ago, Hoss said:

100%. The only relevance to his player status is that if he was a “star” or well-known player in the league it all likely wouldve played out differently from the start.

TO clarify:  This is not my point.  At all.  Please go back to the first post in this thread and the TSN article quoted therein:  "two former Chicago Blackhawks players," and we don't have even one yet.

4 hours ago, Hoss said:

I don't think he should be kicked from the league, but I think this is absolutely a chance for the team to make it clear it is not standing for this. The team should remove the C from Toews.

There was a reporter out of Chicago saying Toews can't be held responsible because he was so young and likely easily-influenced at the time. He was 23. Certainly not a cagy veteran, but he's also been hailed as one of the game's best leaders since that season. So which is it - was he a leader or was he too young to handle leadership duties? Even if it's the former, he should be held to a better standard than punting on publicly ripping the situation and then calling the people involved "good people."

A shameful, disappointing situation all around. And it's not even the only sexual assault allegations within the organization they ignored. Hello, Patrick Kane.

Jonathan toews asked would you change things back then .

Jonathan toews  "To be honest I wouldn't" 

I hope everyone  boos him the rest of his career 

• Like (+1) 5

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

At least some former team mates like brent sopel already came out stating that it was known what happened to him amongst the players.

what a shitshow.

And others claim ignorance.  I think Kane said the first he heard about it was when it was in the news.

Not sure I believe him, but whatev.

51 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Hmm GIF

Not that I want to continue this sidetrack forever, but was Tim Tebow a New York Met?

Here's a recent Blackhawks media guide.  The all-time roster is toward the end.  https://cms.nhl.bamgrid.com/images/assets/binary/300304750/binary-file/file.pdf

If TSN reported that there are two former Chicago Blackhawk players, then either there are two we don't know about or TSN is wrong.

Edited by Eleven

they all might be decent humans that made an error in judgement back then and not handled this the right way while destroying a young mans life in the process.  

But besides Bowman, none of them have come clean about it and said what they did was wrong.   They just say they didn't know, or were some rumours they didn't know much about.   ***** hell just admit you were wrong and say sorry the victims in a manner any grown up person should.

This goes from every player on that team , management and NHLPA.    But I guess being honest and saying they were wrong might open them up to big lawsuits.

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

they all might be decent humans that made an error in judgement back then and not handled this the right way while destroying a young mans life in the process.  

But besides Bowman, none of them have come clean about it and said what they did was wrong.   They just say they didn't know, or were some rumours they didn't know much about.   ***** hell just admit you were wrong and say sorry the victims in a manner any grown up person should.

This goes from every player on that team , management and NHLPA.    But I guess being honest and saying they were wrong might open them up to big lawsuits.

Being honest, for those that did in fact know about the accusations of assault and believed them to be credible, opens them up to lawsuits.  

It also takes away their ability to stonewall the issue until something else becomes the big uproar at which point this fades back out of public consciousness.  Perhaps too cynical a view, but likely not.

5 hours ago, Eleven said:

TO clarify:  This is not my point.  At all.  Please go back to the first post in this thread and the TSN article quoted therein:  "two former Chicago Blackhawks players," and we don't have even one yet.

We do. Beach is a player and was on the roster with the Blackhawks. That makes him a Blackhawks player. Blackhawks prospect would be a safer way to handle that wording, but it also brings you unnecessarily closer to identifying Beach against his original wishes.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

And others claim ignorance.  I think Kane said the first he heard about it was when it was in the news.

Not sure I believe him, but whatev.

Kane is a dishonest pile of garbage, so this isn’t surprising. Hockey culture means dozens (maybe even hundreds) of players around the league probably knew. Teams poached that 2010 Blackhawks roster and it wouldn’t shock me if those players were talking about it in other locker rooms. This is a moment to shatter that culture. It can never happen again.

7 hours ago, nucci said:

Similar coverup in NFL with Washington and Snyder. it's all disgusting

What made the Washington and Snyder tawdry situation more outlandish is that Goodell commissioned an investigation and would not allow a written report. He claims that he verbally received the report that he and the league commissioned. That is so absurd that he should be brought up before congress and be forced to publicly state what was in that report. 

I was listening to a Md/DC sports show and they were talking about what was in that report. Snyder is a weird and nasty guy with a Bonaparte small stature affliction. On the street it is called being an insufferable priiick!

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2021/07/01/nfl-no-written-report-investigation-washington-football-team-workplace-environment/

• Like (+1) 2

It was nice of the NFL to scapegoat Gruden to protect Snyder.  I’m not excusing what Gruden said or did, but it’s interesting that Gruden took the fall while absolutely nothing is said about Snyder, no information was revealed on what they did to those cheerleaders and what they are going to do going forward to make the organization more accountable.  

It’s far past time to stop protecting the Harvey Weinsteins of the world.

52 minutes ago, Hoss said:

We do. Beach is a player and was on the roster with the Blackhawks. That makes him a Blackhawks player. Blackhawks prospect would be a safer way to handle that wording, but it also brings you unnecessarily closer to identifying Beach against his original wishes.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Not that I want to continue this sidetrack forever, but was Tim Tebow a New York Met?

Here's a recent Blackhawks media guide.  The all-time roster is toward the end.  https://cms.nhl.bamgrid.com/images/assets/binary/300304750/binary-file/file.pdf

If TSN reported that there are two former Chicago Blackhawk players, then either there are two we don't know about or TSN is wrong.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.