2021 NHL Playoffs 1st Round

Norcal

20 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The topic trading McDavid is silly. 

The topic of trading Eichel, before we even select a coach is also silly. 

We've got four months with nothing better to do.  I suppose we could revisit the ROR trade.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

It is. It's meant to be fun.

Big time trades in the NHL are too few and far between. Teams that want to make moves can't because other teams won't. It's boring. 

Classic message board mentality:

Talk of trading Eichel to another team: you will get nothing in return, you will be shocked how little you get. All teams top pieces will be off the table.

Talk of trading for McDavid: You can throw everything at them, every single piece you have for the next 5 years and it won’t even be a fraction of enough.

We are not trading for McDavid but the mentalities are hilarious.  Of course McDavid is the better player but the two franchises are prime examples of hoping for a saviour to lead you to the promise land without properly building a good team around them.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Classic message board mentality:

Talk of trading Eichel to another team: you will get nothing in return, you will be shocked how little you get. All teams top pieces will be off the table.

Talk of trading for McDavid: You can throw everything at them, every single piece you have for the next 5 years and it won’t even be a fraction of enough.

We are not trading for McDavid but the mentalities are hilarious.  Of course McDavid is the better player but the two franchises are prime examples of hoping for a saviour to lead you to the promise land without properly building a good team around them.

All teams top players off the table  ? But they want ours in return ? Walk away. The Sabres always manage to trade from a position of weakness. Other teams don’t want to pony up they don’t get the best player in the trade. Simple.

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

We've got four months with nothing better to do.  I suppose we could revisit the ROR trade.

We can watch Beane and McDermott work a plan in an intelligent and methodical way, and hope Adams can do something similar.  

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well once upon a time they did trade Gretzky so anything is possible, but I'd say the odds of it are all but zero. 

They may however, rethink their direction and philosophy of building around him and Draisaitl. 

I looked at that too.  The age between Gretz (when traded) and McD (today) is three years difference and Wayne had won 4 cups by that point.  So while unlikely in the short term, it could happen and the return would be huge but not unreasonable.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I don’t think a coach will have very much impact on an Eichel decision.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well once upon a time they did trade Gretzky so anything is possible, but I'd say the odds of it are all but zero. 

They may however, rethink their direction and philosophy of building around him and Draisaitl. 

This would be the more logical approach. What could Edmonton get for Draisaitl that would fill out the remainder of the roster and provide depth and balance? In the playoffs it's much easier to defeat a team dependent on a top-notch power play because whistles have a habit of getting swallowed, scrums and hits wear everyone down, and suddenly defenses are desperate to reduce space and block shots instead of just clearing a view for the goalie.

As to EDM trading McDavid... for giggles, if I'm Edmonton I don't even want Eichel for McDavid. Instead, I view Eichel as the throw-in for salary-balancing purposes because I know I'm only getting 60 games/season from him. I'd start with 6 first-round picks, no protections, one for each year of McDavid's contract plus one year after. Oh, and don't forget to send Cozens, Samuelsson, Portillo, Quinn, and Peterka. All the depth you've gathered for Eichel's future? It's doomed to be mine. As is your future fleet of picks because Buffalo will ruin McDavid just like they've ruined everyone else and all 5 of those picks will be top-10. Enjoy the basement of the standing with Skinner getting 30 goals a year and still being a minus player with an immovable contract. Huzzah!

• Haha (+1) 1

Edmonton making major moves after this season made the broadcast. Compared McDavid to Eichel in terms of situations team wise and frustration levels.

Edmonton has had slightly more success during McDavids time but not much. 

Hmmm. Maybe.

Also. Spezza had the whole net to shoot into and all day to do it and Price still stopped him. 

I mean, maybe he will be moved btw. Not to Buf. 

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

I don’t think a coach will have very much impact on an Eichel decision.

If I was the coach it would.  I would want to know the plan and be involved in the trade.  Especially if I am a coach that had other possibilities ...  do I want KA to dictate my future?   Any experienced NHL coach would want that.  A first time guy would be more likely to go with the flow. 

I would hire a coach that is in lock step with Adams and Karmanos, then make the roster moves.  The time to have a cohesive team that includes players, coaches, and FO is long overdue.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I would hire a coach that is in lock step with Adams and Karmanos, then make the roster moves.  The time to have a cohesive team that includes players, coaches, and FO is long overdue.  

There is only one way to go, which is up. The first thing you must do when you realize you are in a hole is stop digging.  In order for that to happen, everyone must be working to move in that one direction to get out of the hole. I'd only add that the list also includes from ownership all the way down to the janitors cleaning the locker room. They all have responsibilities that must be fulfilled if this team is going to change course and be the team we all want to see compete each and every year for the cup.

• Thanks (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

If I was the coach it would.  I would want to know the plan and be involved in the trade.  Especially if I am a coach that had other possibilities ...  do I want KA to dictate my future?   Any experienced NHL coach would want that.  A first time guy would be more likely to go with the flow. 

He won’t be traded prior to a coach being there but his fate will likely be mostly locked in before then. We don’t appear to be pursuing anyone who we’ll have a lot of competition to hire so whoever we get will basically be in a “be a head coach or don’t” position.

5 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I think these are solid but I hate teams wearing alternates in the playoffs.

I hate everything about them but I hate the helmet the most. 

I also do not like alternates in the playoffs.

48 minutes ago, Hoss said:

He won’t be traded prior to a coach being there but his fate will likely be mostly locked in before then. We don’t appear to be pursuing anyone who we’ll have a lot of competition to hire so whoever we get will basically be in a “be a head coach or don’t” position.

Not sure where you are getting this from.

We are interviewing Tocchet, who is also interviewing with the Kraken.

We are also interviewing Boudreau.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.