2021 NHL Playoffs 1st Round

Norcal

2 minutes ago, KC Scouts said:

Really not a fan of the Habs when they play the Sabres…… but I’ll always root for them against the Leafs….

… and I do so love the Habs uniform

Habs win.  Right now I’m a Hab fan.  

• Like (+1) 4

11 hours ago, Thorny said:

People will say one is wasting their time rooting for someone to lose, as it just gets you wrapped up in negativity. I'd argue it's exceptionally logical: you reverse the 1/32 odds. It's often a much more gratifying way to watch sports IMO

100%.  I’m 51 and 0 cheering against the leafs.    Well probably only 45, doubt I started to hate them before I was 6 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

1 down 3 to go! 

Let’s be honest though, the quality of play is terrible in the north compared to the other 3 divisions!   No way MTL should be a playoff team and leafs not much better 

I’ll be honest.  Montreal is the one team I can think of that has won cups in years when they were NOT the best team but they get hot in the playoffs and ride it.  This has happened several times that I can recall.  Something about them and their history, they rise to the occasion.  

Not saying they will win it, but I just want to eliminate Toronto.  

• Like (+1) 1

Funny how the Traveres injury may be the best thing to happen to the Leafs...it has taken the onus off of how they lost and all they are talking about is the play and the injury up here in Ontario. Even the guys on both TSN & Sportsnet agree though that Foligno picking a fight was pretty bad and really was pretty silly as clearly there was absolutely no intent on Perry's behalf. How Foligno did not get an extra instigator penalty is beyond anybody.

Having said that. Montreal is a great example of a team that wins on good goaltending (which they almost always had & have), good coaching and they play with so much heart and determination for a franchise that is loaded with tradition and such a great history. They simply do not accept losing and fired their coach this past season when they were still well above .500 hockey. Love them or hate them, Montreal  is such a great franchise and role model. Still think Leafs will prevail though...

1 hour ago, Sabre fan said:

Funny how the Traveres injury may be the best thing to happen to the Leafs...it has taken the onus off of how they lost and all they are talking about is the play and the injury up here in Ontario. Even the guys on both TSN & Sportsnet agree though that Foligno picking a fight was pretty bad and really was pretty silly as clearly there was absolutely no intent on Perry's behalf. How Foligno did not get an extra instigator penalty is beyond anybody.

Having said that. Montreal is a great example of a team that wins on good goaltending (which they almost always had & have), good coaching and they play with so much heart and determination for a franchise that is loaded with tradition and such a great history. They simply do not accept losing and fired their coach this past season when they were still well above .500 hockey. Love them or hate them, Montreal  is such a great franchise and role model. Still think Leafs will prevail though...

I like Foligno but that was wrong. Perry is dirty but that happened so fast that he had no time to do much except try to jump out of the way. Perry dropped the gloves but did not fight, just protect h8mself.

1 hour ago, Sabre fan said:

The interview with Foligno after the game was IMO  bizarre.

First, the media talked about how tough his father was.  Then they asked him to describe his thoughts about the fight. 
Foligno mentioned “seeing our Captain lying there” too many times.  He basically said that even though it was an accident, he had to address it.  Then the media guys said the even Perry understood the situation and only wrestled and never threw a punch, in some sort of honor for Taveras.  Worse, they talked over and over about being prideful for this code of conduct. 

Now I am old school.  I like hitting and I think there still is a place for fighting in the NHL, albeit limited.  But these guys were completely carried away, to the point that non hockey fans would never understand.  They glorified the fighter and the fighting culture, contrary to what the NHL stands for.  

As for Montreal.  I already mentioned how they won Cups in years when they were average.  Hot goalies, great coaching, pride, mystique, all of they above.  I don’t think they nearly as good as Tronto, but they might be good enough to beat them.  

23 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Hell of a defensive play by Crosby in the dying moments to prevent the sure tying goal. Exceptional awareness. 

https://www.nhl.com/video/first-round-gm3-pit--nyi/t-277350912/c-8411961

Can be found at about the 8:20 mark 

Yup.  He has really proven to be a relentless 2way, 200 foot player.  I will go back to cheering against him now.  Lol 😂 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The interview with Foligno after the game was IMO  bizarre.

First, the media talked about how tough his father was.  Then they asked him to describe his thoughts about the fight. 
Foligno mentioned “seeing our Captain lying there” too many times.  He basically said that even though it was an accident, he had to address it.  Then the media guys said the even Perry understood the situation and only wrestled and never threw a punch, in some sort of honor for Taveras.  Worse, they talked over and over about being prideful for this code of conduct. 

Now I am old school.  I like hitting and I think there still is a place for fighting in the NHL, albeit limited.  But these guys were completely carried away, to the point that non hockey fans would never understand.  They glorified the fighter and the fighting culture, contrary to what the NHL stands for.  

As for Montreal.  I already mentioned how they won Cups in years when they were average.  Hot goalies, great coaching, pride, mystique, all of they above.  I don’t think they nearly as good as Tronto, but they might be good enough to beat them.  

Yup.  He has really proven to be a relentless 2way, 200 foot player.  I will go back to cheering against him now.  Lol 😂 

Just the way you sort of see him slow down and look around and process everything around him as he gets into the zone, seeing who has which guy, the awareness to see the chance developing and the quickness to break it up. Maybe doesn't have the offensive explosiveness he once had, but just an all-around force at this stage of his career. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Just the way you sort of see him slow down and look around and process everything around him as he gets into the zone, seeing who has which guy, the awareness to see the chance developing and the quickness to break it up. Maybe doesn't have the offensive explosiveness he once had, but just an all-around force at this stage of his career. 

Yeah Sydney is amazing for sure. Doesn't seem to matter who he plays with either. I love what OV has done scoring but he is pretty-much one dimensional whereas Sydney is al over the ice. The MacKinnon/McDavid debate rages on but Sydney is still the best come crunch time. Clearly MacKinnon has a far stronger support cast as Colorado sure has a good team whereas Edmonton has McDavid playing with Kassian sometimes Neal who started like crazy with the Oilers but sure faded quickly. That McDavid continues to roll up big numbers is amazing. Nice to see Florida get rewarded with a win last night also...kinda hoping they win the series

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Crosby gets my vote as the most complete all around player to ever play the game.  He’s a grinder with HOF talent.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Sabre fan said:

Montreal?  Really?  Montreal has basically been a non-factor since they traded Roy.  The Sabres have more overall success than the Canadiens over the last 25 years.

Happy they beat the Leafs and hope they win this series, but if the divisions weren't re-aligned due the pandemic, Montreal would  not have made the playoffs.

Montreal is a role model if you want to be a middling franchise decade after decade.

42 minutes ago, jad1 said:

Montreal?  Really?  Montreal has basically been a non-factor since they traded Roy.  The Sabres have more overall success than the Canadiens over the last 25 years.

Happy they beat the Leafs and hope they win this series, but if the divisions weren't re-aligned due the pandemic, Montreal would  not have made the playoffs.

Montreal is a role model if you want to be a middling franchise decade after decade.

I’d take middling over whatever we’ve dealt with the last decade.  

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, inkman said:

totally agree...yes they have down years but they have tradition and come playoff time they are tough to play against (which is more then we can say seeing how we never make the playoffs anymore)...

40 minutes ago, inkman said:

The Sabres were middling between the Drury/Briere exodus and the tank.  Nobody was happy with it.  The Canadiens aren't a role model, they're a cautionary tale.

6 minutes ago, jad1 said:

The Sabres were middling between the Drury/Briere exodus and the tank.  Nobody was happy with it.  The Canadiens aren't a role model, they're a cautionary tale.

It’s hard for me to contain my exasperation here.  Yeah, I don’t want to just be a sucky middling team but I’ll take it over being the laughing stock of the league going on a decade now.  Give me the perennial Cup contender but I’ll take an annual cusp (thanks @PASabreFan) contender until that ship arrives in port. 

Edited by inkman
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.