2021 NHL Playoffs 1st Round

Norcal

12 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

Jesus, Landeskog just beat the piss outta Schenn. Who woulda thunk a skill guy could fight. 

Landeskog did not beat him up.  It was kind of a draw.  Also, looked like Schenn was probably the one who initiated it.

8 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

Nah, just watched it again. Landeskog fed him his lunch if you watch it in slow motion.

Couldn’t watch in slow motion, but I don’t see it.  Generally if someone is getting the crap beat out of them, I can tell in regular speed.

Edited by Curt

11 minutes ago, Hoss said:

St. Louis is the perfect example of what happens when your team gets cool new jerseys. All they do it win now. Nothing else changed with that franchise at all just the jerseys.

Come on ... They play hard, are well coached, and they have a goalie that gets hot and plays out if his mind for stretches.  

13 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Must be fun to be a Canes fan....full house and everything 

... and no Don Cherry around to make fun of their choreography.  

3 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Refs favoring the Bruins is beyond old. 

This is what ya call Sabres fan bias lol.

I've never seen this alleged refs favour the Bruins thing, if anything it's the other way around usually , and especially when they play Montreal or Toronto. 

It's a heavy heavy series and they let stuff go both ways. I don't care who wins. I hope it goes 7 games. My kind of hockey. 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Come on ... They play hard, are well coached, and they have a goalie that gets hot and plays out if his mind for stretches.  

It was a joke. They've made a lot of changes. Their jerseys are just really nice.

17 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

This is what ya call Sabres fan bias lol.

I've never seen this alleged refs favour the Bruins thing, if anything it's the other way around usually , and especially when they play Montreal or Toronto. 

It's a heavy heavy series and they let stuff go both ways. I don't care who wins. I hope it goes 7 games. My kind of hockey. 

The announcers during the game were saying they thought the Bruins got several favors from the refs.

The NHL doesn’t want penalties to decide games in the playoffs. They don’t understand not calling penalties can still decide the game. It’s the reason penalties end up close to even every game and refs swallowing their whistles in tight games. 

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

The sad part is, you can watch any of the playoff games and just see how far the Sabres are from even being remotely competitive.

And yet, from my POV, very good coaching and above average goaltending that won’t put your franchise in cap hell, would really turn the team in the right direction. NOT NOT NOT saying that’s all that’s needed. But what a major difference those two things could make.

26 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Colorado is a team I wish we were, but probably will never be. That team is scary good. 

Mackinnon is an 8 year vet, Landescog 10 years.    This team was not built overnight. 

Never say never.  We need to fix the FO to the point where Terry and Kim step away.  

• Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, Curt said:

Landeskog did not beat him up.  It was kind of a draw.  Also, looked like Schenn was probably the one who initiated it.

Landeskog initiated it because of a dirty hit on Rantanen, and it looked like a clear decision for Landeskog to me.

EDIT:  Here's a video with the knee-to-knee hit on Rantanen, followed by the fight.  Rantanen would have been hurt if he had any weight on that leg when he was hit.  https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/video/landeskog-makes-schenn-pay-dirty-hit-rantanen/

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

And yet, from my POV, very good coaching and above average goaltending that won’t put your franchise in cap hell, would really turn the team in the right direction. NOT NOT NOT saying that’s all that’s needed. But what a major difference those two things could make.

You are correct.  Look at the Blues.  They went from last place to a Cup and their biggest change that season was a coach and a goalie.  

Punch immediately traded for Roger Crozier just be make a bunch of rag tags players competitive.  Bowman drafted Barrasso.  Meehan acquired Hasek.   We also drafted Edwards, Sauve, Pupa, Biron, Miller ...

Everyone talks about 2C.  Until we address goalie we are not going to improve in the standings.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Landeskog initiated it because of a dirty hit on Rantanen, and it looked like a clear decision for Landeskog to me.

I posted a video.  These two are not strangers and they fought once before.  Landescog has become grizzled after 10 years in the NHL.  Schenn may not have won, but he is the kind of the player that will go again.  

24 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I posted a video.  These two are not strangers and they fought once before.  Landescog has become grizzled after 10 years in the NHL.  Schenn may not have won, but he is the kind of the player that will go again.  

Saw that and I think Schenn won that first fight with that punch at the end.

45 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Mackinnon is an 8 year vet, Landescog 10 years.    This team was not built overnight. 

Never say never.  We need to fix the FO to the point where Terry and Kim step away.  

No, but they did go from last to first in 4 seasons. 

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

You are correct.  Look at the Blues.  They went from last place to a Cup and their biggest change that season was a coach and a goalie.  

Punch immediately traded for Roger Crozier just be make a bunch of rag tags players competitive.  Bowman drafted Barrasso.  Meehan acquired Hasek.   We also drafted Edwards, Sauve, Pupa, Biron, Miller ...

Everyone talks about 2C.  Until we address goalie we are not going to improve in the standings.  

Look at the Blues 2019 team up front and on the backend and then look at ours and tell me if adding 2019 Binnington and Berube make us a playoff team. The scenarios aren’t the same. 

7 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Look at the Blues 2019 team up front and on the backend and then look at ours and tell me if adding 2019 Binnington and Berube make us a playoff team. The scenarios aren’t the same. 

True, we are not a SC team.  I was merely pointing out the importance of coaching and goaltending and the Blues team illustrate the point.  If I was GM or PoHO I would emphasize this.  

Just last year, pre Covid, we were a goalie and a coach from a playoff spot.  Replace Hutton with a good goalie, replace RK with a real NHL coach and we would have been in the playoff race for the last seed.  

Edited by Pimlach

15 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

True, we are not a SC team.  I was merely pointing out the importance of coaching and goaltending and the Blues team illustrate the point.  If I was GM or PoHO I would emphasize this.  

Just last year, pre Covid, we were a goalie and a coach from a playoff spot.  Replace Hutton with a good goalie, replace RK with a real NHL coach and we would have been in the playoff race for the last seed.  

Well, yeah. Smart teams build from the net out. Not sure how we have managed three straight GMs who didn’t take hockey 101. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.